Why become a member? ×

Evenin' all

SoVeryTired

New bassist here. Well, newish.

I've been playing guitar since 1994 but I suppose I started playing bass last year sometime when our bass player didn't turn up for rehearsal (and I was one of two guitarists). I said that I could play bass instead - and it turned out that I could. Since then I've thoroughly enjoyed every chance I've had to play on a borrowed US Jazz and I've finally got round to getting my own bass so I can practice more consistently.

I managed to pick up a Yamaha RBX360 off eBay for £50. There were a couple of cracks in the back of the headstock which weren't advertised, so I got my postage cost back. Following a crack repair, clean up, restring and set up at a ridiculously good price from [url="http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/"]Andy Viccars[/url], it's fully operational, playing great and waiting for its first live action.

I play in a church band and when playing bass I go via a DI box into the desk, and out again via some sizeable subs into a 650-seater auditorium - it's going to be interesting to see how the electrics on the Yamaha cope with the PA (it's a P-J configuration so I'm expecting some noise from the J at least).

My plan is to save up for a couple of years and get something around the £600 mark, either a good Far East model (e.g. G&L Tribute L2000 or Sterling SB14, both of which I've played and enjoyed) or maybe a second-hand US Fender. For now though, I'm just enjoying the Yamaha and having fun with the two very different but equally classic pickup sounds (and blending them together).

That's me - I'll be hanging around, soaking up information and trying not to ask too many stupid questions.

By the way, which is better - Precision or Jazz? :)

Edited by SoVeryTired

[quote name='paul_5' post='1288143' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:01 PM']Welcome on board.

In reply to your OP, I like P basses, but I also like J basses, but which is better?

There's only one way to find out.....[/quote]

Buy both? :)

(Not being entirely serious - I know it's the sort of question that gets asked all the time.)

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1288216' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:08 PM']A precision with a jazz bridge pickup :)[/quote]

I do like having the combination at the moment. The P has the thump, the J has the growl, and I guess the 50-50 blend is the sound of someone punching an angry tiger...

[quote name='SoVeryTired' post='1288146' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:03 PM']Buy both? :)[/quote]

See, You're in the swing of things already!
Welcome aboard and do ask all the silly questions you want/have - We've all had them and been answered magnificently on here.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1289570' date='Jul 1 2011, 09:15 PM']Welcome!

Either will do as long as it doesn't have any frets :)[/quote]

One step at a time - fretless is definitely in the box marked 'too scary'!

It's funny, I've survived on one acoustic and one electric 6-string for ages, but I'm already thinking not of replacing my Yamaha in the future but supplementing it. This bass lark is dangerous.

(I've got a mild hankering after something MMish, especially after I learnt today how to play without needing a pickup to anchor my thumb...)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1289676' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:37 PM']Ah, you must be after a 5 string.

That low B is just for resting the thumb :)[/quote]

There's a 5-string just poking out of the 'too scary' box - I'll have to try some over the next couple of years to see whether it stays there.