Why become a member? ×

Fender American Standard sticker

tickbite

I think it's a sign of our materialist times that we buy something to use but treat it as if it's only to sell on. I've caught myself doing it. In the old days we couldn't wait to get all that sort of thing off to make it 'ours'.

One day it probably will be sold on but in the meantime enjoy your bass as if it's yours (also consider your actions in using the bass but trying not to scratch the sticker!) unless you bought at as an investment as a future collectors item.

While is still smells new things like that seem important but after a couple of weeks rehearsals and a few gigs it will (should!) become less important, other things will identify your bass.

(My wife released me of such thoughts, I once dropped a nice Olympus camera in New Orleans and it scratched. Seeing my forlorn expression she said that the scratch will always remind us of NO and our time there. It did.)

KEEP THE STICKER!

A little known fact: Fender spent literally tens of dollars on the services of Californian masters of Feng Shui, who concluded that the exact size and positioning of the sticker improves your playing by a factor of 1, will lead to enrichment of your soul, and could lead to all-night sessions of primo 'ficky-ficky'.

This is why many Rickenbacker owners keep the "Made in America" stickers on their instruments. Unfortunately Rickenbacker didn't get it right as their sticker is deemed to be 'too angular' and 'too expensive' by those in the know.

OMG, its one of "those" threads a day or two early.

What does it matter as far as re sale goes? It says made in the USA on the head stock anyway so the sticker proves nothing, and it wont make any difference to its value if the bass has been played.
Ive never heard of anyone asking for more money because a bass still has a sticker on it.

I could imagine when it's like 30 years old if it's still in pristine condition, the sticker might make a difference. But if you're planning on playing it, it's going to look used anyway so there's really no point worrying about the sticker. Mind you, who knows if collectors will be interested in '11 basses in a few decades, they'll probably still be going after early ones if they're serious enough to care about a sticker.

This falls into the category of "case candy" and will definitely influence the price of a sale to a non player. Fender purchasers often use these kind of details to decide value. However to a musician it's meaningless.

If you can peel it off cleanly maybe you could put it on the backside of the pickguard that way you can preserve the tone.

[quote name='lojo' post='1288140' date='Jun 30 2011, 07:55 PM']If you wAnt the sticker off , take it off and stick it on the handbook , that way it's still part of the case candy[/quote]

Play it, enjoy it. Fender basses are not sacred.

Edited by 4 Strings