Why become a member? ×

AAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!

TRBboy

All the ones I can find are either wrong or too simplified, and the GuitarPro version I've got is too busy and the fingering's all over the place!!! I need to learn this IN A HURRY so if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent TAB I'd be grateful!

Ta

Thanks for all the help guys, it's kinda what I was doing anyway. I was just hoping that someone knew of a TAB which had the bones of it with all of the important runs and fills on it too, 'cause I can't be arsed to stay up late figuring it out for myself! :)

Back to it I s'pose..........

This is quite cool - plays it audibly over tab and guitar chords - sounds fairly close to me [url="http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/thin-lizzy-the-boys-are-back-in-town-bass-tab-s19634t3"]http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/thin-lizzy-...ss-tab-s19634t3[/url]

Edit: and it can play at half speed which is useful when learning it

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1284717' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:27 PM']Just think dummmmmm- didda-dee-dum-da-dum-da-dummm, dummmmmm and repeat and you won't go far wrong[/quote]

I knew I was going wrong somewhere......

I was missing the middle dummm out.

Got it now, cheers Clarky :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1284744' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:43 PM']This is quite cool - plays it audibly over tab and guitar chords - sounds fairly close to me [url="http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/thin-lizzy-the-boys-are-back-in-town-bass-tab-s19634t3"]http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/thin-lizzy-...ss-tab-s19634t3[/url]

Edit: and it can play at half speed which is useful when learning it[/quote]

Cheers Clarky, that's really useful! Seems to be the most accurate version I've seen so far. I've gotta have it down for Wednesday, so I think I'll have a crack at that one tmrw night.

Thanks again all!

Stick with the GuitarPro version, it's what I learned it from (and I'm pretty average). Although it looks a bit daunting at first glance if you break it down and take it steady it will fall into place. I still can't play it and sing it at the same time though!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1284717' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:27 PM']Just think dummmmmm- didda-dee-dum-da-dum-da-dummm, dummmmmm and repeat and you won't go far wrong[/quote]

This could possibly be the roots of a new notation system, seemed to work for the OP

What I've used sometimes to learn songs is guitar backing tracks.

Sometimes the original recordingcan be a bit indistinct and muddy to tell clearly what the bass is doing... if you find a decent guitar backing track, and there are tons out there, it makes the job easier as the guitars would be removed and usually the vocals too. Sometimes the bass can be a bit iffy, as if they just put it there because they had to and not playing the correct thing... but most of the reputable ones (from Lick Library, Guitarist magazine etc) tend to be good enough.

I do have TBABIT as a guitar backing track. If you want it, just PM.

Thanks for all the help guys, I pretty well nailed it last night! Had a much better evening of practice on Tues, and most of it kinda clicked into place. I did use the Guitar Pro version in the end, although I started by just learning the chord changes, and then learned all the little runs and phrases. It's sounding pretty good (although still needs a little polish!). I think the main trouble I had is that the all the little runs and phrases, despite not being anything overly challenging, just didn't feel at all natural to me. If someone had said "here's the chords, write a bass part" it almost certainly wouldn't have been very much like Phil Lynotts bassline!

Thanks again all!

Glad you got it sorted. It's ages since I did it but I think I changed some of the note positions from the ones that are in GP version (play same notes but not necessarily on same fret/string combo as is on the original GP file) maybe on the 2nd half of the verses IIRC which made it easier for me, once I'd got it down OK. It was a more interesting line than I was expecting it to be, shows what a talent Lynott was. I think even Phil simplified it a bit for live work where he was singing along as well though!

Not sure and stand to be corrected but Phil wasn't originally a bassist.
I guess non of us were :)
Maybe some officianados on BC can clarify ?

Maybe that's why his bass technique and style were all his own.

Was a huge fan of Thin Lizzy 76 Jailbreak era.

Phil was a genuine nice guy. Did some roadie work for Phil at our local gig after he left Lizzy and he treated us to his company at the sound check and later in the bar before the gig.
Playing pool with him and the band. They all bought more than their fair share of the rounds but how he ever managed to play beats me.
You couldn't have met a more down to earth guy. Easy and willing to talk about anything. Very open and just genuinely nice guy.

The show was unbelieveable. He was a pure showman on stage.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1287678' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:31 PM']I usually go through the GP files first and change the finger positions to what looks more comfortable. Some can be quite mind bogglin' , they look like the notation has been done and the software sorts the tab.[/quote]

Yeah I wonder if some tracks are fed in via a midi interface and the choice of fretboard positioning sometimes isn't necessarily very 'natural'? Still on the whole a worthwhile program to have for me. Even if I think i have something down by ear it's nice to dial up a second opinion. Wish the copyright nazis hadn't screwed up my songbook. com though, that was a really handy archive.

[quote name='KevB' post='1287654' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:19 PM']Glad you got it sorted. It's ages since I did it but I think I changed some of the note positions from the ones that are in GP version (play same notes but not necessarily on same fret/string combo as is on the original GP file) maybe on the 2nd half of the verses IIRC which made it easier for me, once I'd got it down OK. It was a more interesting line than I was expecting it to be, shows what a talent Lynott was. I think even Phil simplified it a bit for live work where he was singing along as well though![/quote]

Yeah that's exactly what I did! The positions were nonsense on some of it - particularly the second half of the verse like you say. Much easier to go to 3rd fret on the G instead of leaping up to 13th on the A, especially when it's in the middle of quite a quick phrase!