Why become a member? ×

Bass effects pedal

cbarrowl88

basically i tried out a Boss Bass EQ pedal earlier and loved the sounds of what you can make from it.
but i want to find out if any other brand of pedals make a decent EQ pedal.

does anyone own or have used a HARLEY BENTON BEQ-1 pedal?. i cant find a review online so i wanted to ask you guys.

i found a behringer EQ pedal but have been advised that Behringer are not reliable.

[quote name='cbarrowl88' post='1284551' date='Jun 27 2011, 08:11 PM']basically i tried out a Boss Bass EQ pedal earlier and loved the sounds of what you can make from it.

does anyone own or have used a HARLEY BENTON BEQ-1 pedal?. i cant find a review online so i wanted to ask you guys.

i found a behringer EQ pedal but have been advised that Behringer are not reliable.[/quote]
Save up, get the Boss.

Behringer are entirely usable if you don't leap on them with jackboots, but the tonal quality of their pedals is unpredictable. The guitar equivalent pedal is perfectly OK, but not outstanding, which is probably also true of the boss version.

I've had a few behringer pedals: one was junk (acoustic modeller) some were OK and one has a permanent place on my pedal board (UT100 trem) because it's a great pedal. The Boss is unlikely to be junk, but not all Boss pedals are good either.

[quote name='cbarrowl88' post='1284550' date='Jun 27 2011, 08:09 PM']i found a behringer EQ pedal but have been advised that Behringer are not reliable.[/quote]

was the advise about behringer based on personal experience?
Behringer pedals are cheap & cheerful, but I've never had any problems with mine. Their bass limiter is my only must-use pedal.

[quote name='cbarrowl88' post='1284550' date='Jun 27 2011, 08:09 PM']basically i tried out a Boss Bass EQ pedal earlier and loved the sounds of what you can make from it.

i found a behringer EQ pedal but have been advised that Behringer are not reliable.[/quote]

Oh dear, what a lot of comments about the Behringer and the Boss, and none about the HB pedal you're actually asking about! :)

Unfortunately I can't help much because I don't have any direct experience of either HB or Behringer pedals. But from what I know of both brands, I'd expect they're pretty comparable. Harley Benton, in case you don't know, is Thomann's own brand. Some of their stuff is good value - I got their short-scale bass for my son and it's well worth the £60 it cost. But some of their kit gets panned in reviews. And the same is true of Behringer.

The Boss pedal is, of course, a lot more solid, probably sounds a bit better, and will be much easier to sell on if you decide it's not for you. So if you can afford it, go for the Boss. But if you're just wanting to experiment and wanting something for bedroom use, then both the HB and the Behringer will probably be fine.

I've had the GLX Bass EQ and both versions of the Boss Bass EQ (the older brown one and current model). The GLX is the same pedal (Harley Benton and Beta-Aivin are other rebrands) and I found it to be sturdy, noise-free and did what it was supposed to.

I can't remember if the seven frequencies are the same ones as the Boss (I seem to remember the older brown Boss Bass EQ had a slightly different set of frequencies), but they allowed for greater control of EQ settings than my then-combo and allowed me to set it flat as a boost when needed.

I paid £20 for the GLX on eBay, something to factor in - well worth it. I sold it when I picked up a GEB-7 for £35! The Boss is the better pedal - the sliders operate smoother and are easier to see but as I never used any 'extreme' EQ settings, I couldn't say whether the extra cash (if buying the Boss new) was worth it for what I used it for. If you find the GLX/Harley Benton/Beta-Aivin cheap, give it a go - you might be satisfied.

I tried a few of the other GLX stompboxes - the Bass Chorus (based on CEB-3) Bass Overdrive (based on the ODB-3) and Octave pedal (based on OC-3) - these weren't a patch on the Boss pedals, however.

Edited by Green Alsatian

GLX bass eq here as well, only £34 new, sturdy, reliable (about 1.5 yrs old now I think) and lots of rumours about them being built in the same factory as Boss, just rebranded as lower cost range. It does all I need it to do at a very acceptable price. Not tried any of the other GLX pedals, but then I build my own chorus and overdrives.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1284569' date='Jun 27 2011, 08:27 PM']+1 Get the Boss.

Or save a little more & get a multi fx pedal.[/quote]
Multi-fx unit for graphic eq = P.I.T.A. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut isn't it?

Edited by Al Heeley

well ....

i love ebay for this....

after searching the internet for the boss bass pedal i seen they were retailing at about £79.99-£89.99, i just manage to pick up one on Ebay for £32.50
so hopefully with any luck it should be here soon.

thanks for the help guys its much appreciated.

also chaps

could you suggest any other pedals that might be fun to play around with??

the equipment i am using at the moment is An Ampeg BA115HPT, Guitars: Hofner CT Violin Bass and a Tokai Jazz sound, the pedals i use: Boss Chorus (CEB-3 i think) and an Ashdown Bass overdrive.

so anything you guys could suggest to making my guitars or anything else sounding better or just anything worth getting let me know.

thank you

I never had any probs setting the EQ on my old multi FX pedal & the advantage is you can store presets.

If you've got spare money, go for an envelope filter & an octaver or a synth pedal like the bass synth.
If not, I still say get a multi FX pedal. This way you can play about with a whole host of effects & find out what you're actually gonna use rather than buying a few pedals & ending up with a couple of light up bricks.

For Sale section on here is a good place to look.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1284908' date='Jun 28 2011, 07:40 AM']was the advise about behringer based on personal experience?
Behringer pedals are cheap & cheerful, but I've never had any problems with mine. Their bass limiter is my only must-use pedal.[/quote]

+1. I've got aone of the Behringer EQ pedals and it does the job. They're plastic, and not as robust as a proper Boss, but they're also a fraction of the price. If you're gigging regularly its probably worth getting the Boss, otherwise the Behringer is fine IMO.

[quote name='cbarrowl88' post='1286599' date='Jun 29 2011, 04:26 PM']also chaps

could you suggest any other pedals that might be fun to play around with??

the equipment i am using at the moment is An Ampeg BA115HPT, Guitars: Hofner CT Violin Bass and a Tokai Jazz sound, the pedals i use: Boss Chorus (CEB-3 i think) and an Ashdown Bass overdrive.

so anything you guys could suggest to making my guitars or anything else sounding better or just anything worth getting let me know.

thank you[/quote]

if you're into your funky sounds...

- EHX micro QTron. Around £35 used. wah-wah-wah sounds...
- EHX nano BassBalls, Around £35 used. glurp/wah. Use in conjunction with the microQTron in various combinations/settings and get ready to see the hours disappear :)
- Boss OC2 octaver. About £40-50 used. I had an OC-3 and didn't love it. I have an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and it's a great pedal. But the OC2 is more "fun", more "synthy"

- using an overdrive pedal with eithe rof the above will help you multiply your fun :) I personally prefer the Ashdown HyperDrive (Lames Lomenzo signature box, about £40 used).

I'd also recommend some kind of mixer pedal. I like the Boss LS-2. You can use it to select two completey different "loops" of effects... but I normally use it with the EHX pedals above so that I can mix their effected sound with the dry sound... it helps me getting good fat sound with as much effect as I want (they do not have a blend control).