Why become a member? ×

Totally miffed........

Jambo10

Just venting here folks.......

For the last year we have played a venue in the back sticks of the countryside, every 6 weeks or so, a regular gig you could say.

The first time we played there, the punters loved it, a bit of rock to blow the cobwebs away as all the other acts were locals, lounge music and all that guff stuff.
Every time we went back the place was busier than the previous and the owner seemed more pleased to obviously see more cash going in the till.
When we last played there, at the beginning of June, it was the busiest the place had been for months, and that was the bar staff saying that, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and several business cards were handed out, the usual pats on backs etc. Owner more than happy to pay us and checked diary to make sure we were back at start of July.

Then, mysteriously, out of the blue, the guitarist gets a phone call from the pub last week, siteing some negative feedback and they are cancelling all further dates (of which we had another 3 or 4) with effect of immediately!

After a couple of phone calls from anonymous people to the pub to enquire, no reason was given to why the advertised band (us) for July has changed and a new unheard of band has now been given our slot.

All of us are at a complete loss to this as the pub was busier, their till was busier, the punters loved what we did, everybody was happy, including the staff and owners, and then....dumped!

Strange, no real answers, as I say.....just venting and letting off steam!!

Sorry to hear you've been 'jocked off' as they say in horse racing.
It'd be interesting to see if this new band that's taking your place have any family connections to the pub owners.

Being less suspicious, a lot of the rural pubs in my area (Derbyshire) have seen a dramatic drop in takings since the Christmas period. It might be that they are short-sightedly cost cutting.

Could be quite correct in as much as the pub isn't willing to fork out more money.

In all honesty we got £20 extra, as we travel an hour and a half just to get to the pub, rather than the local bands which get the bog standard amount of dosh.

We also did consider the possibility that a member of the new band could have connections to somebody in the pub.

It was a shame as it was always a decent gig, even taking into account the travelling......oh well......one door closes and all that......

FACT: some landlords (not all) are greedy, shortsighted, couldnt give a sh*t scum of the earth. These are the sort who Promise you loads of gigs after a good evening then deliver f**k all. 99% of the time its down to money. You ask for the usual (lets for example say £240) cos you're a busy in demand pub/covers band, then, irrespective of your talent/popularity they get an offer from another band who are new and trying to get in on the scene, or regular punter "kev" knows of this sh*t hot band his mates' son is in. The new band only wants £80 and a few beers and hey presto! You are outta there!
Think im bitter from some personal experiences? Too bloody right! Its all part and parcel of being in a band isnt it? The 2 hours or so of actual pleasure - playing - that for which we all do it - are constantly offset with the bullshit of travel, setting up, taking down, travel, and to cap it all trying to get the gigs in the first place, sending posters which no one bothers to put up, double bookings, etc, etc............... rock n roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spleen duly vented, thank you and good night.

The average pub round here pays £180-£200 for a pub gig, the pub in question pays the 180, but as i say we did the first few at said price then asked for another £20 to cover some extra fuel costs as its a 150 mile round trip, which, at first they weren't overly chuffed with, but they saw the punters coming through the door.

So, it could indeed be something as petty as keeping the 20 quid to themselves. All we know is the replacement band is more local to them, so they would save that measly £20!

Of course, in this day of course, with fewer pubs on the scene and probably the same amount of bands, they can bargain lower fees now and play bands off against each other to pay less......sign of the times I suppose.

I'd let it go... the have probably got someone local and it is their money, their perogative, I guess.

150 miles for £200..?? I would have thought you'd tell them thanks, but no thanks ages ago. They sound like they did you a favour..!!

But I don't know what the scene is like round your way and how hard gigs are to come by.