Why become a member? ×

Spector Purchasing Advice

TorVic

Hi to all the BassChatters out there!

I have always been interested in the Spector basses and there are a few Euro models on sale here and on ebay. I would like some advice from the Spector veterans for making a wise choice.
(I would like to add that I have two Fender Jazz basses of which one is fretless. I have one 6-string Ibanez SR-506 and am in the process of adding a fretless 6-string as well.)

Option-1: Euro 4 LX - Like the P-J PUP combination and neck-through build. I would like to add a 4-string with 24 frets to my collection
Option-2: Euro 4 Rebop - Cheaper and Bolt-on neck with some exotic top woods

The first question is regarding the different woods in the LX vs Rebop. I have heard it said that the LX (with alder body and maple top) is more sweet sounding than the Rebop with exotic woods, especially zebrano.

Also, the difference between thru-neck and BO - I would use the four string more for slapping, chordal and percussive style playing. I have seen video on YouTube illustrating the differences between the Ken Smith TN and BO models. Is it similar with the Spectors?

Option-3: Euro 5 LX - Would like to add a 5-string to the arsenal and like it that these are Thru-Necks The PUPs on this one are the EMG Humbuckers. (To add to the twist one model is from 2001 and others from 2004 and 2007. From the pictures the 2001 model looks a little different. I checked with PJ at Spector and found that they have solid maple body wings, non shiny solid brass gold bridge, and probably Aguilar OBP-1 active tone controls.)

Option-4: Euro 5 Rebop EX - Main difference are the exotic woods (zebrano) and the BO necks. I believe the PUPs and circuits are the same in both these models.

My dilemmas at the moment:
1) Go for the 4-string or 5-string
2) Go for the NT or BO

Thanks for any advice, anecdotes and comments! I have reached a stalemate in my mind with these choices!

Thanks,
Vic

I'd go for a 4 string personally, but thats just me!

I used to own one of the Rebop DLX basses, a 4 string 34" scale model with a lovely Zebrano top. I sold it long ago for very little, which is crazy considering they now cost over £1000 new! It was an absolutely stunning bass, which makes it all the more crazy that it cost me just £549 new! The EMG HZ pickups were excellent and the Tone Pump was marvellous. Don't listen to the guff spouted about 'Tone Dump', the Tone Pump preamp is very good indeed and I'd only choose Bartolini or Hazlab ahead of it in a Spector.

The NT models do sound a little softer and a little more rounded but they are still what I would call bright and aggressive basses. If I was buying again I'd pay a little more and go for a NT Spector (simply because I've played and loved loads and never owned one!). If I had to have my rebop back I'd be very happy with that too. It sounded so damn good and it played brilliantly too. What a joy that bass was, sadly missed!

Can't comment on the first two of your options but I do play a Euro 6 LX through neck. It has (had) the shiney bridge. This has suffered on the finish a little but does not really detract from the appealing looks. It just needs a regular wipe to get the acid off after use.

The contoured body is an absolute joy. The balance, despite having what looks like the thickest neck in the universe is absolutely perfect with no dive at all. Mine has the EMGs and Spector tone-pump pre. This pre amp comes in for a lot of stick on here and a good few replace it. However, it just needs a little time to get to know. Once I'd adjusted the trim pot as the general output was too ground shaking on the E and B, it's so much better.

I had sold an Fbass 5 string and was intending to buy the same in a six string and bought this as a stop gap. I will now keep it and forget about the BN6. The neck took a couple of weeks to get used to after the shallow job on the Fbass and now I'm a convert. The finish on these is fabulous, the coating has taken a few knocks and shows nothing. Sustain is pure Spinal Tap territory and any tone I want is there for the choosing.

It came set up superbly but I still managed to get it lower. It has about the same action as my Strat now with no buzz anywhere. Can't praise them enough. Can't imagine what a £3,000 USA model must be like but these Euro LX models are great value for money, and real eye-catchers.

If I had to choose between your options, I'd go for the Euro 5 LX. Greatest low B I've ever played, very even over all strings
and will do everything you want it to.

PS, If you do get the 5 string, make sure it comes with a Spector case. Nothing else really fits that well.

Edited by leschirons

i used to have a Euro5LX with EMG soapbars and Tonepump preamp and it was amazing!!

It was so precise it was untrue and sounded just incredible. Thinking about it now i keep thinking to myself i wish i hadn't have sold it. Like Leschirons said, you need to keep the hardware clean it it doesn't stay shiny for long, and mine was a natural finish maple one and i started to get a dark patch where my right arm was rubbing against it so they do need a clean if its not a lacquered finish.

I didnt get on with the Tone Pump that well but back then i didnt really know how to use proper active electronics and just turned everything up, which you seriously don't need to do on one of these.

I cant recommend one enough to you mate, it was a joy to play and sounded as close to a proper USA Spector you could get without paying silly silly money!

Sh*t i want my old one back now!!

Get one bought, 4 or 5 string, it wont fail to impress.

Will

Thanks for the tips and pointers folks! Looks like NT is the way to go. Still deciding between the 4 and 5. I have a feeling I will go with the 4LX (a lovely amber finish, 2007 make). If I like it enough, will consider a 5-er as well (there's a nice poplar top 5LX available that is quite expensive but looks great!).

Cetera is your man when he's about.

In my case, I had a Euro LX4, and it was absolutely stonking. The EMGs were fantastic combined with the Tonepump. Some people don't like the Tonepump, but I very much did. A mate of mine also had a Euro LX5 which was equally amazing in every respect. Power, tone, clarity, punch, everything I personally could ever want. However I moved onto 5ers and moved away from Spector purely because I couldn't find a 5er I like at the time.

Possibly my favourite bass [i]ever[/i] was the NS that belonged to Peter (Greeneking). I've played hundreds of basses over the years, and that one is still the sexiest piece of timber I've ever had my hands on, period.

I'm yet to play a bad one, from the budget models all the way up to the top end models, they're superb basses.

Not much I can add to the above (they all beat me to it....) but I will say this as far as the difference between the thru neck 4LX and the bolt on ReBop:

The ReBop is basically a Jazz bass on steroids - tight, hi-fi and a very honky bridge p/u sound. Feels & plays superbly but has a little neck dive.
The Euro 4LX is a more full-range & slightly more aggressive sounding bass with rich harmonics and crushing tones from rumbling bass to glass highs. i.e. THE Spector tone :) It balances perfectly and plays like a dream.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll love it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wise folks of BassChat, I am glad to say that I joined the fortunate group of Spector owners here! I picked up a Euro 4 LX with Zebra wood top, from Ebay. The owner had added gold knobs and replaced the TonePump (included) with EMG BQC. I am very happy with the sound but the best part of this bass is it is the most instantly comfortable bass I have ever played! The design is simply brilliant. It is so much fun to play it simply because it is so easy to do so!

Of course, now I should add another one with the default Maple top and TonePump to check how that sounds and also find out how easy the 5LX, Rebop and 6 string models are to play! :)

Again another vote of confidence for the Euro LX. I've got the 5 string variety and find it so easy to play and the sound is quite simply just how a bass should sound (with punch, weight and clarity all at once!). Definitely my first choice bass for 90% of the things that I do (probably more). As I'm sure you know, it's a buyer's market at the moment so pick one up now and you'll never regret it.

Just a couple of things to bear in mind though ... all versions (4, 5, strings, etc) received an updated tone pump circuit about 4 years ago with a gain trim pot inside the battery compartment - this is quite useful as without it the output is very very hot. Also at the same time, the humbucker equipped versions were upgraded to EMG [u]TW [/u]pickups, these can be switched between humbucker and single coil mode for more variety in sound (previously they came with DC humbuckers without the single coil function). You can tell them apart by looking at the colour of the EMG logo on the pickups - the DC pickups are silver while the TW pickups are orange.

Edited by darkandrew

Thanks dc2009. Have no clue about Darkglass and definitely don't work for them! :)

Darkandrew - I first learned about the tonepump from this video [url="http://youtu.be/BGH7jFTqrD8"]http://youtu.be/BGH7jFTqrD8[/url]
Also heard about the TW pick-ups but didn't know about the colour difference in the label. Thanks for the tip!