Why become a member? ×

Which Fender Jazz

originalfunster

If you do a search there are a handful of topics which have gone over it lots and lots of times, the forum really could do with a sticky.

CIJ (as they are now) are considered to be extremely good value for money as the QC is very very high. If you get an "alright" one it'll be better than you're standard MIM hands down (unless you get a REALLY good one), and if you get a good CIJ it'll come up to par easily against an MIA.

HOWEVER, they are a few hundred quid cheaper for a reason as they don't get all the features of the MIA Standard unless you get the higher up models.

If you want a good example of a Fender for around £500-600, I'd go for a Jap over something like the Highway 1 because you're going to need to spend about £800+ to start beating them imo.

As a side note, it's worth saying that as they new MIA Standard Range has hit the shops, prices have dropped for older MIA models to the same as Jap models currently, so it might be worth going to shops and hunting down an '06/'07 MIA.

I've just traded my CIJ Geddy Lee signature for an end of run MIA S1 Jazz. Quality on the CIJ really was fantastic, but I prefer the neck on my MIA with the stability of the "posiflex" graphite rods & the slightly thicker profile.

I think it's fair to say that there are good and bad in all the Fender ranges. I've played some fantastic MIM models & some really awful & badly finished MIA's over the years. Just go with the one that feels best at the shop :)

[quote name='neilb' post='146611' date='Feb 25 2008, 02:38 PM']I have a CIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz in black (inc case) for sale if your interested.

See post in FOR SALE section.

£400[/quote]

Hi Neil,

I already have an aerodyne in OCR, but thanks for the offer.

And thanks for the other replys.
took the advice and done a search.... Answered more than once.

Cheers

I have a USA Jazz (one of the last S-1s), whichI had to hunt down as I wanted a sunburst or Blonde one with a maple neck. Its fab.

I also have a Mexican Fender Jazz which is more than OK, plays almost as well as the USA, but seems to lack a certain amont of tone in comparison.

I haven't played a Japanese one, but my old Jap Squier Silver series is not far off the Mexican, and I swear the pickups have more "oomph".

If I had £850 to spend I'd get the USA. If I had £400 I'd buy the Mexican.

David H

I just bought one of these and its fantastic. I can dial in so many tones on this Jazz. Ive heard some bad things about patchy quality but i guess i was lucky. all i had to do is tweek the truss rod. I have played a few Jazz basses from various makers and this is one of the most versatile.
String through body, Hipshot tuners, Seymore Duncan pups, 24 frets... Fantastic for the money(which was just under £600.00 by the way). I highly recommend this bass....although im Now Gassing for a Moon Jazz . Grass i always greener hey!!! :)

PS Outtoplayjazz is right, try before you buy...You wouldnt buy a suit without trying it on..

Edited by bubinga5

Try them.

Try them ALL!

Whether it's a '62 stacked pot USA or a "Made in Indonesia" Squier 70's VM Jazz, there's diamonds and coal in equal measure!

Try before you buy.
If it feels good, It IS good.
If it sounds good, it IS good.

I once went through nearly 30 Fenders in 5 hours at the Bass Centre (Wapping - R.I.P) and found... nothing.
A Korean Burns Bison bettered them all.
Then I tried a Variax, 14 years later, and wanted to try it against the real thing.
The Variax went back on the wall, and my current MIA took on and matched Stingrays, Streamers, the lot.
Yes. I bought it. Three years later, I love it more!

Did I recommend trying before buying?
If not, I should have!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Some differences FWIW :huh:

Neck Radius 9.5 on USA and 7.5 or 7.25 on CIJ (not 100% on CIJ ) Geddy is 9.5
Body weight, my CIJ is lighter than the USA but both are Alder.
The nuts are made of different material as are the pick guards.
The volume and tone knobs are the smaller push on type on USA they're the screw type.

USA pick up cavities seem to vary as do neck joints, both the CIJ's I've had are identical.
Truss rod adjustment on USA have access CIJ necks have to come off, well mine do anyway.
You get a case with USA and a Gig bag with CIJ.

bit picky innit? :)

Guitar Emporium offer try before you buy if you fancy a CIJ. ;)