Why become a member? ×

Rickenfaker on eBay being sold as a Rickenbacker.

Someone's selling what looks like an Ibanez Rick copy as the genuine article on eBay. Last week, I messaged a seller who was selling what looked like the same bass (same colour and also with a Rickenbacker truss rod cover) that it wasn't a genuine Rick as it had a bolt-on neck and the pickups were not Rickenbacker pickups. I didn't report the auction as the seller might not have been aware that it wasn't genuine, but eBay pulled the auction the next day.

Here's the new auction, also in Hull with different pics (no shots of the back this time):

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-Bass-guitar-/270764632509?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0ad469bd"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-Bass-gu...=item3f0ad469bd[/url]

It could well be a coincidence, but I thought I'd best tip you folks off just in case there's anything fishy going on. In the original auction, the seller claimed it to be a 1973 Rick and that they'd owned it since the 70s. This chap says he's owned it for the last 7 years and that the previous owner had it from new.

Sorry if any of you lot are the seller, but this bass clearly isn't a genuine Rickenbacker.

By the way mods - please excuse my misplacing of this thread. I didn't know about the eBay thread here in the Marketplace - noted for future reference. :)

I've been a mod on several forums myself (main one being Vintage Synth Explorer) and know what a pain shifting misplaced threads is!

Regarding the bass, I just hope someone doesn't steam in there and think they're getting a bargain if they were the only bidder at £900. Like the bass last week, it even has screws placed in the holes from where the P-bass styled bridge pickup cover would have been attached. (the only pic I've seen with one with the covers on was Bruce Foxton's when he used one before getting hold of real Ricks)

They'd easily make £300-£400 on the bass as-is, if they removed all reference to the 'R' word and dropped the picture of the headstock. They do sound pretty nice too:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAjLDgOKZU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAjLDgOKZU[/url]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1269360' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:30 PM']I've learnt my lesson. I'm saying nothing - don't want some agressive [removed by moderator] coming in calling me Kiddo and puffing out his chest again.[/quote]

I hope you realise I achieved nearly 34" chest measurement when I did that... one of my cardigan buttons nearly popped right off!

ficelles the librarian

[quote name='ficelles' post='1269531' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:08 AM']I hope you realise I achieved nearly 34" chest measurement when I did that... one of my cardigan buttons nearly popped right off!

ficelles the librarian[/quote]
:)

[quote name='Stacker' post='1270037' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:20 PM']Looks like Ibby pups but I don't recall Ibanez doing a bolt-on neck. Bassassin is sure the one to analyse this fella.[/quote]

Yes Ibanez did do a bolt on. Oddly the pickups were more 'Ricklike' on that version than their more expensive - presumably earlier - through neck version which had a big Gibson EBO type neck pickup and a smaller one at the bridge. I've owned both versions and they are very nice basses in their own right. The pickups certainly look similar to my old bolt on but I've only ever seen the black finish on a through neck. Daft price for what it is if it is an Ibby certainly not up to the standards of a JB or a real Rick.

The bass listed last week was black and a bolt-on - I'm pretty sure this new auction is the same bass as two identical instruments in Hull in the space of less than a week since the original auction was pulled is unlikely.

One thing of note, in the original auction, the seller updated the description with 'Don't bid on this item until further notice' - presumably as others (like myself) had been in touch to inform them that it wasn't a genuine Rickenbacker.

Someone uploaded a demo of the earlier Ibanez, albeit one which had been modified with a third pickup:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CtJXt5IKk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CtJXt5IKk[/url]

There is another Ibanez copy (also bolt-on), which looks even more Rick-y due to its more authentic-looking pickups:

[url="http://www.harmonycentral.com/thread/1534922"]http://www.harmonycentral.com/thread/1534922[/url]

[quote name='simon1964' post='1272140' date='Jun 16 2011, 09:47 PM']There's a bid on it now too. Someone's going to get seriously stung...[/quote]

Once again I'm wondering why they pulled my John Birch Faker and not this? I described it as a UK made bass and there was no reference to the R word, mine got pulled and to cap it all I got barred from selling on Ebay temporarily, I also got a flea in my email from John Hall about how I was breaching intellectual copyright! I wasn't trying to con anybody into believing it was a Rick and if anyone's seen my JB it isn't an overt copy - I'd say 'inspired' by the Rick shape....

[quote name='ash' post='1272214' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:59 PM']Once again I'm wondering why they pulled my John Birch Faker and not this? I described it as a UK made bass and there was no reference to the R word, mine got pulled and to cap it all I got barred from selling on Ebay temporarily, I also got a flea in my email from John Hall about how I was breaching intellectual copyright! I wasn't trying to con anybody into believing it was a Rick and if anyone's seen my JB it isn't an overt copy - I'd say 'inspired' by the Rick shape....[/quote]

F*** John Hall!! WyTF is he emailing you and not John Birch who, AFAIK, is still in business last time I looked? Those pant-wetters over at RicResource - who take it on board as self-appointed RIC Police - are always on the hunt for fakers, copies, WHY, and are more likely, since JH emailed you, to have been the ones to get your ad taken down.

John Hall, IMO, should spend a bit more time on quality control of his instruments instead of firing off nippy emails to people who didn't manufacture the instrument he's moaning about!

Wonder if JH/RIC are going after stuff like [url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/NEW-bass-Guitar-Free-Shipping-bass-Electric-Guitar/129558-2672698.html"]this[/url] in the Far East??

Hold on, I actually like the loook of that.......................

Faker nameplate, too!!!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' post='1272341' date='Jun 17 2011, 06:53 AM']F*** John Hall!! WyTF is he emailing you and not John Birch who, AFAIK, is still in business last time I looked? Those pant-wetters over at RicResource - who take it on board as self-appointed RIC Police - are always on the hunt for fakers, copies, WHY, and are more likely, since JH emailed you, to have been the ones to get your ad taken down.

John Hall, IMO, should spend a bit more time on quality control of his instruments instead of firing off nippy emails to people who didn't manufacture the instrument he's moaning about![/quote]

John Birch himself died over a decade ago; but the business under his business partner John Carling is still going, tho' I believe in semi-retirement. Ash's bass is an old JB, pre-John Carling's days so I don't think they could touch him for it. The last I heard is that John Birch did used to get hassle from Rick but as has been said before the Rick copyright doesn't carry as much strength in the UK, Ash is getting this trouble because Ebay is a US company with it's HO over there & is playing safe.
AFAIC, I do seriously think that a lot of it is because John Hall knows that the JB is a superior product.

[quote name='ash' post='1272214' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:59 PM']Once again I'm wondering why they pulled my John Birch Faker and not this? I described it as a UK made bass and there was no reference to the R word, mine got pulled and to cap it all I got barred from selling on Ebay temporarily, I also got a flea in my email from John Hall about how I was breaching intellectual copyright! I wasn't trying to con anybody into believing it was a Rick and if anyone's seen my JB it isn't an overt copy - I'd say 'inspired' by the Rick shape....[/quote]

Very fair point. As much as I love Rics, I have no problem with faker's, so long as its clear in the description (and clearly it was in yours) and buyers know what they're getting. The Ric police should be concentrating on fakers being passed off as genuine Rickenbackers rather than your John Birch, which will be a bloody good bass in its own right!

I've reported the auction as well

[quote name='Stacker' post='1272345' date='Jun 17 2011, 07:08 AM']Wonder if JH/RIC are going after stuff like [url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/NEW-bass-Guitar-Free-Shipping-bass-Electric-Guitar/129558-2672698.html"]this[/url] in the Far East??

Hold on, I actually like the loook of that.......................

Faker nameplate, too!!![/quote]

Hmm - to me that's as bad as the ebay auction. Its got a Rickenbacker name plate on it and is being passed off as a genuine Ric. Or at least it is deliberately allowing people to think that's what it is.

Looks stunning in the blueburst though!

Edited by simon1964

Good stuff! I'd hate to think of someone getting stung by it.

On the subject of selling Rickenfakers, I thought the copyright is held by Rickenbacker in the US and thus cannot be enforced outside the US and that the buying/selling of instruments 'inspired' by their brand were legal in the rest of the world. Ebay can be arseholes about it too - if the seller doesn't mention 'Rickenbacker' in the auction text then they should have no ground to pull an auction.

A local fellow had a Shaftesbury for sale as a Rickenbacker copy (still stating that it wasn't a Rickenbackerin the auction text), so I tipped him off about it before ebay could pull it. I don't know if it did get pulled, but it was a cracking bass - I'd have bought it if I had the cash as I do miss my old 4001.