Why become a member? ×

BassDayUK 2011 16th October

Fraid so..!

Back on topic, at the London Show earlier this year they had a quiet time designated by a buzzer/alarm and that was quite successful. Equally most of the slapping at Manchester last year was on ( as mentioned already) the Rotosound stand and also by the entrance to one of the Theatres by whatshername? ( edit: Yolander Charles) who frankly should know better IMHO.......
Earplugs are the way to go.

Edited by yorks5stringer

I heard the London show was really bad? Lots of MK fans on one of the days causing much of it.

Ear plugs and more time away from the stands I think if I go (looks like EBS freak doesn't want to come with me right now, he will though :) ) Just go through to the theatre area for the performances at the given times. I guess it depends who Stevie has lined up too.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1270667' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:56 PM']I heard the London show was really bad? Lots of MK fans on one of the days causing much of it.

Ear plugs and more time away from the stands I think if I go (looks like EBS freak doesn't want to come with me right now, he will though :) ) Just go through to the theatre area for the performances at the given times. I guess it depends who Stevie has lined up too.[/quote]

London show bad??? It took me 4 hours to get there, wanted to see and try as much as I could. Lasted just over an hour! I had even taken a day off work to go. Really disappointed. I've never been to the Manchester one and from all your posts it seems it's going to be exactly the same. Is it really worth it?

I think from what I have heard the Manchester one is much smaller than London but do bear in mind that Stevie Williams organises some great players and the venue is fantastic! Go and have a quick look at the trade stands and watch Stevies opening set (always good) then go round to a pub or something between acts to save the ears bleeding, That's my plan if we go. I never slap at trade shows as I'm crap at it :) (that does not equal jelous btw :) )

Last year was my first one, went for a look as my teacher kinda dragged me along, but I got there 2 and a half hours before him :) He dropped me in it at one point on the Shuker stand by going "you'll like this" and passing it to me. I ended up sat there for around half an hour trying out various toys :) Then I wandered over to Promenade music and spent around half an hour with a Marleaux Soprano Bass :lol:

TBH I havent even looked on the calendar to see if Im free that day so my thread may have a forgone conclusion anyway. The Xotic Jazz bass on the Bassdirect stand was a great bass last year as were the Fodera's. Low point was the Yammy Attitude that was falling to bits while Mr Sheehan was stood there. Stevies opening set was the best I have seen him do in the past three consecutive years IMO, Really nice tasteful player.

[quote name='goblin' post='1272027' date='Jun 16 2011, 07:47 PM']I didn't even bother looking at the Yam stand, and roto were slapping to death too.[/quote]
I guess everyone points the finger at everyone else's stand but there is already a thread about a certain Roto rep. I would say there all as bad as each other and the punters are going to slap on every stand at every show. That little guy with the goatie (someone's teachers I believe?) is still there slapping instead of going home, They just bring a plate of that nice goulash up from the canteen once a week to feed him!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1272032' date='Jun 16 2011, 07:53 PM']That little guy with the goatie (someone's teachers I believe?) is still there slapping instead of going home, They just bring a plate of that nice goulash up from the canteen once a week to feed him![/quote]

I think I know who you mean...possibly my teacher.

I'll be going this year. I've been to them all except last year because I had a gig. Stevie, Pris and Gary do an amazing job organising a great event for bass players, and anyone who can get there should give it a go. Ear plugs might be a good idea though....I like a bit of [i]tasteful[/i] slap if it's done well, but having sat with ACG and John East opposite the EBS stand I can tell you, we were ready to ram a Precision head first through the front of their gear just to shut the [i]deafening[/i] slappers up that haunt the place year in year out.

I found a lot of the slap there was tasteful / good in it's own way, but when you add it all up, it still turns into a slap overload. I'm guilty of slapping too, although I'm not a great slap player so I keep it to a minimum. There were a couple who took it too far though. I could hear the noise as I was driving round looking for somewhere to park :)