Why become a member? ×

My Big (Al) woes

Prime_BASS

I got my big al about 2 months ago now. I do love it's looks and how it plays, but the sound has been a up and down affair.
Anyway.....

Today I found out that during the build process they've wired the pickups in the wrong way.
If you don't know there are on/off switches for each pickup. The first for the front, 2 for the middle and the third for the back, then there is the active/passive switch.

Only on mine the first switch is for the back pickup and the third for the front. Now I have 2 issues.

1. My big al isn't as it should be, what can I do about this?
My own answer is, it's not a major issue, now I know I can fully enjoy it however I feel I should contact 1 of either bass merchant, strings and things or heaven forbid EBMM themselves(and start a sh*t storm.)

2. How on earth did I notice this?
I always had a niggle in the back of my head that in some positions it didnt sound as right or as well as it did on the model I tried back in November. Obviously my ears arnt as tuned as I thought, but now I know what the problem is it's opened a whole lot of possibilities.

I know that QC is a little ropey from horror stories I've heard and admittedly this isn't un playable damage, but what do the QC checks entail? And how many more are like this???

Discus!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1268703' date='Jun 14 2011, 02:58 PM']My own answer is, it's not a major issue, now I know I can fully enjoy it however I feel I should contact 1 of either bass merchant, strings and things or heaven forbid EBMM themselves(and start a sh*t storm.)

Discus![/quote]
Put a post on the EBMM forum and standby for a torrent of abuse from i) the whole of the EBMM US bass playing community and ii) The current owner of the company.

That's what I did, and what fun I had. Currently don't and won't own any EBMM products.

Edited by farmer61

String and things are excellent and it needs sorting there is no arguement if its not wired up right. For every horror story you hear there is normally a very good customer service story that follows IME. Where was it from I guess would be my first call, Ring them and tel them what you have found. Do you like the rest of that bass because I think they will be happy to offer you a swap for another or another model even (ask Musicman20) if it were me and I liked everything else I would just have them sort out the wiring on this one.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1268710' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:03 PM']Put a post on the EBMM forum and standby for a torrent of abuse from i) the whole of the EBMM US bass playing community and ii) The current owner of the company.

That's what I did, and what fun I had. Currently don't and won't own any EBMM products.[/quote]

Not really going to help the OP though is it?

[quote name='farmer61' post='1268710' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:03 PM']Put a post on the EBMM forum and standby for a torrent of abuse from i) the whole of the EBMM US bass playing community and ii) The current owner of the company.

That's what I did, and what fun I had. Currently don't and won't own any EBMM products.[/quote]

What was wrong with yours that made you post on a forum rather than get the shop/dealer/distributor to sort it for you?

[quote name='farmer61' post='1268714' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:06 PM']Why not.[/quote]
Because its a brand new bass that is not fit for purpose it doesnt matter if its a toaster or a bass. How will starting a sh*t storm on a us forum get the fault resolved? Im guessing prime would rather just have it right/have his money back/exchange for a different bass than spend time argueing with some yank fan boys?

My advice is to call Strings & Things ASAP (www.musicmanuk.com).

Also, ring and email Bass Merchant so that way everyone knows what is going on.

That is a bizarre and very annoying error. I hope they sort it out.

As much as I do LOVE it when EBMM get it right (as they have the best 'fit and finish' quality Ive seen on most of their gear, for the price) I do think they are currently VERY busy....which is not an excuse I know, but I get the feeling they have a lot of orders, long waiting times, and new models coming out all the time.

It has a full 1 year guarantee.

My advice? Call and ask for either a full repair or new bass. My 2EQ was repaired but it still buzzed like crazy so I opted for a 3EQ.

Edited by Musicman20

Also make sure you get a few sets of strings out of it for your trouble, Im sure they will :) S&T are very good to deal with for every bit of BS about EBMM parts did you know a genuine scratch plate or tuning peg is cheaper from S&T than a copy version off eBay? never mind the bull about parts not being available at all. There is thread somewhere about how good they are, mistakes happen its how they are resolved that counts.

I don't see the problem. If you had it and it didn't sound right (as it wouldn't if you didn't know) then of course, get it sorted out. If you've played it and liked it, it's not a tough job to swap some wires if it's a serious problem. Maybe contact the shop you bought it from and see if they'll do it, it should only be a quick job and that way it won't void any warranty or garuantee that you have.

With some of the QC stories that have been posted on here recently about EBMM, I'd stick with it since you know it's a good one.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1268724' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:12 PM']My advice is to call Strings & Things ASAP (www.musicmanuk.com).

Also, ring and email Bass Merchant so that way everyone knows what is going on.

That is a bizarre and very annoying error. I hope they sort it out.

As much as I do LOVE it when EBMM get it right (as they have the best 'fit and finish' quality Ive seen on most of their gear, for the price) I do think they are currently VERY busy....which is not an excuse I know, but I get the feeling they have a lot of orders, long waiting times, and new models coming out all the time.

[b]It has a full 1 year guarantee.
[/b]
My advice? Call and ask for either a full repair or new bass. My 2EQ was repaired but it still buzzed like crazy so I opted for a 3EQ.[/quote]

Providing no one has ever been in the cavity (oo err) then 12 months warrantys are a thing of the past in most cases a fit for purpose rule overides most stuff so if you can see clearly it was never right even up to a few years it is now possible to have things sorted.

I'm missing something, surely...

switch 1 does what switch 3 is expected to do...
and
switch 3 does what switch 1 is expected to do.

everything else is normal, all combinations are available etc...

if that were the case, I would see no problem...

so I must be missing something :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268716' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:06 PM']What was wrong with yours that made you post on a forum rather than get the shop/dealer/distributor to sort it for you?[/quote]
No-one would take responsibility and I asked a genuine question (started off nice and polite) on the forum and got grief for it, even from a gent called Sterling....hence no MM products. The OP mentioned doing this in post #1, hence my reply.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1268751' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:26 PM']I'm missing something, surely...

and

so I must be missing something :)[/quote]
Your thinking bang a John East aren't you? :)

Seriously though I know what your saying mcnach but what if there is more to it? Is it definitley as simple as putting the switches through the right holes or are they on a pcb for example given the newness of the bass I would take it to bass merchant so as they can get written permission to open it up to save any arguements later on if its just been put in the wrong hole then its no biggy if its to bollox inside then at least it was found by the dealer rather than Prime_bass.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1268758' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:32 PM']No-one would take responsibility and I asked a genuine question (started off nice and polite) on the forum and got grief for it, even from a gent called Sterling....hence no MM products. The OP mentioned doing this in post #1, hence my reply.[/quote]

Well im not a member there but people keep telling me they are not as bad as they are made out to be, Im staying here for now though. Strings and things so far have always sorted out peoples issues as far as I know, the only problems would be secondhand basses or if the owner didnt know about them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268766' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:36 PM']Well im not a member there but people keep telling me they are not as bad as they are made out to be, Im staying here for now though. Strings and things so far have always sorted out peoples issues as far as I know, the only problems would be secondhand basses or if the owner didnt know about them.[/quote]
One of my bass buddies in the US had similar grief over there, they take their love of all things MM very seriously. I'd stay clear, much safer on here, generally.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268781' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:43 PM']With the 23 and a half hours im on here I would struggle to keep up anyway :)

Here is an enlightening thread :lol:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128065&hl=strings"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=strings[/url] things&st=20[/quote]
Point taken, mind you I was desperate to see you posting in this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140703&hl=customer%20service&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ervice&st=0[/url] :) Sadly you didn't, but this is where I'm coming from.

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='mcnach' post='1268751' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:26 PM']I'm missing something, surely...

and

so I must be missing something :)[/quote]

The problem is unfortunately these are top of the range prices (almost) so I too would expect perfection. Its part of the reason I buy new gear.

It may also be causing odd tones if its wired up incorrectly.

I would definitely not touch it myself...

[quote name='farmer61' post='1268770' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:38 PM']One of my bass buddies in the US had similar grief over there, they take their love of all things MM very seriously. I'd stay clear, much safer on here, generally.[/quote]

Been there and have seen for myself how they react to anything negative. You cant even talk about strings on there if they aren't my by EBMM.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1268849' date='Jun 14 2011, 04:27 PM']Been there and have seen for myself how they react to anything negative. You cant even talk about strings on there if they aren't my by EBMM.[/quote]
Best I read was that anyone who had an avatar with a picture of a bass that was not made by MM had to change it.

Not sure if still the case, no need to go over there anymore.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268713' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:05 PM']Not really going to help the OP though is it?[/quote]

If I had paid for a brand new bass of that calibre and it had some wiring errors ilke the OPs had I would definitely post on the manufacturer's forum, to see if anyone else had the issue and also to see if it was something of a common problem.

Of course I would also contact the shop I bought it from.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1268889' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:11 PM']If I had paid for a brand new bass of that calibre and it had some wiring errors ilke the OPs had I would definitely post on the manufacturer's forum, to see if anyone else had the issue and also to see if it was something of a common problem.

Of course I would also contact the shop I bought it from.[/quote]

I got the impression the poster was talking about posting about the problem and the storm just happening, rather than purposely going out of his to start it.