Why become a member? ×

Warwick Basses - Harder to get in the UK now?

Linus27

[quote name='dc2009' post='1270556' date='Jun 15 2011, 07:52 PM']if someone handed you an ibanez at a gig, I don't think any player would struggle to get on with it or particularly dislike how it played or looked![/quote]

I know this is drifting off topic, but I haven't seen an Ibanez I LIKED the look of apart from the one that looked like a p-bass in the 80s. Therefore never even picked one up to know how they play. Shallow I know. For that matter, same goes for Warwicks.

So drifting back very nearly onto topic, I also remember reading an interview on Andrew Levy (who I always really liked) where he basically raved about his old Fenders but politely and briefly namechecked a Warwick 5-string he was offered an endorsement on - almost as if he didn't have the heart to turn it down. Judging by the ads overpopulated with 'b-list' names that Warwick used to plaster about the mags I wonder if they were just milking the 'likely to be grateful' brigade. Maybe that's harsh - I'm sure they're lovely instruments and everything... Come to think of it, that was around the time retro gear was coming back in so maybe they were already feeling unfashionable and were just trying too hard.

Warwick aren't the only company to demand a dealer to carry large stock values - don't Gibson say the same thing?

I have a pair of Warwick Streamers - a LX4 I bought new in 1993 from Carlsbro, and a 2004/5 (maybe - it has no serial number!) Stage I four-string that I bought second hand for £720 six years ago. I have a figure of £1800 in my head for a new Stage I at that time, but I'm not sure why.

The LX4 owes me nothing - its been played to death and has been on loan to longtimefred while his Sandberg was being built. The ergonimics are great - it just 'fits'. Infact the LX4 is nicer to play that the more expensive Stage I.

If I sold them in the current climate I think I could possibly afford to buy a take-away curry with the proceeds.

The difference between the new values and the resale values astounds me (cost vs worth / value) - if you look through the custom catalogue options you could easily spend 5 figures on a bass. Madness.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1271024' date='Jun 16 2011, 09:08 AM']Maybe the scarcity of new ones will eventually put the second-hand prices back up again?[/quote]

Of good quality/not bashed about second hand ones yes - just like with vintage fenders, the prices go up for the best preserved ones of that era, even though you can still get them new now.
Though they did sell a lot of basses in the boom period, and I'd imagine they will change hands many times until the prices start ramping up again, though right now, many people seem happy not to sell theirs for all that much, despite knowing that it is essentially a trough in the resale value of these basses, and that to buy the same bass new would cost them an arm and a leg!

[quote name='amnesia' post='1270974' date='Jun 16 2011, 07:53 AM']The difference between the new values and the resale values astounds me (cost vs worth / value)[/quote]
+1 I've had my red Streamer Stage I (1990) on ebay for £1100 BIN and I had a few offers of folks offering me used basses as part-ex and expecting to get a straight swap for their bass which 'might' have cost £1100 when brand new. One guy in particular offered me a Sterling which I said might be interesting depending upon cash he'd put up as well. His initial response was that as his bass cost £1300 new it should be a straight swap; I pointed out that the SSI new now is £2300 so hardly a fair swap. Now looking at new values I was being reasonable but lets just say his response to my view of values was met with some hostility and a strong view on his part of the relative values of Warwick and Musicman basses. He didn't get a trade! LOL

I think it's fair to say that Warwick have been hideously unfashinable for a long time now. I remember when Talkbass was taken up in their hype and they were the 'in' bass, everyone had one and then a few months later they were being dropped in their droves as they moved onto the next trend. With bassists in this country, they've never been a massive hit but I suppose thats the dealer network's fault as much as anything. Mind you, we are behind the times in the UK, we're only just getting round to accepting handmade boutique stuff as the best and the market for hoary old rubbish like vintage Fenders is still huge!

When I started playing (as also so many on this thread have stated) Warwick was like a holy grail. For me it was like something unobtainable and only pros would use them and could afford them. I started playing in 1990 and started reading Bass Player almost as soon as it started coming out. I remember the Warwick ads then had the guy from Scorpions and John B Williams. I also remember some fusion and session guys in the States on the ads. So there were all kinds of players well before the Nu Metal.

Hope its not going to be too long but there are few points I would like to make.

There have always been hypes about gear as has been mentioned. I remember the time when SWR and Eden were the amps to have but I am not sure if the hype is the same now a days.

On to Warwicks. After playing a Yamaha for few years it was time to move up a class I thought and I wanted a 5 string. And it just so happened when I was looking I came across ’89 Thumb 5. I compared it to few different 5 strings I could get my hands on and the Warwick was a different class. (Ok I will admit that I had always in the back of my mind hoped I would find one). I think if it would have been Streamer Stage 1 I would probably had felt the same way. The best way to describe the difference between my Yamaha (RBX1000) and the Thumb is like going from a mid-priced Toyota to a 911 Turbo.

I later bought a Stingray fretless but it was never close to the Thumb. When I saw a Thumb 6 fretless on the Warwick forum 2 years back I had to have it. And it is perfect. It feels exactly like the 5. Same thin neck same incredible response to your technique and I feel you can get so many different tones out of it. And the B string is the tightest you can find. I have read so many times people saying its just one tone but I have to say I totally disagree. And it works so well in any style of music. I have played them in jazz setting with subtle ballades to bebop and then funk and Metal. It always fits in. Mind you if you have read this far this is just my opinion and you might totally disagree.

I very recently bought a FNA Jazzman for gigging purposes and this is my first experience of other than NT Warwicks. It is quite different and I am still exploring it. I am loving it but its not my Thumb.

I decided to keep it this long in case someone reading this who had not experienced a Warwick would possibly understand the hype that used to be about them and should be about them (in my opinion).

There's nothing like a Streamer Stage 1 5- or 6-string. Absolutely massive sound and a phenomenal tone from bottom to top. Problem is they're close to £3500 new now, about a grand more than a couple of years ago. For that money you can take your pick of NYC Sadowsky, Modulus, Dingwall, Roscoe, MTD, all of whom appear to be far more highly-regarded in the high-end custom market. Based on what's been said about stock policy, I can't believe Warwick's German operation will survive in its current form. How many Thumb Singlecuts do you think they've sold starting at nearly four grand? :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='1273232' date='Jun 17 2011, 09:30 PM']There's nothing like a Streamer Stage 1 5- or 6-string. Absolutely massive sound and a phenomenal tone from bottom to top. Problem is they're close to £3500 new now, about a grand more than a couple of years ago. For that money you can take your pick of NYC Sadowsky, Modulus, Dingwall, Roscoe, MTD, all of whom appear to be far more highly-regarded in the high-end custom market.[/quote]

... Or two customs by certain local luthiers :)

[quote name='drewm' post='1270479' date='Jun 15 2011, 07:11 PM']The nu metal thing passed me by, but it's not the first bandwagon Warwick jumped on. There were riding on the back of Jamiroquai's success in the 90s too.[/quote]

They still do! :lol:

[quote]Based on what's been said about stock policy, I can't believe Warwick's German operation will survive in its current form. How many Thumb Singlecuts do you think they've sold starting at nearly four grand? :)[/quote]

Yeah, there's a reason they moved manufacturing of their cheaper and more popular models to korea (?).

[quote name='Linus27' post='1273565' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:55 AM']So is there anywhere in Europe that sell Warwick's and will ship to the UK? Thomman do but they have quite a small range of Warwick Streamers and no fretless models. Anyone else sell them in Europe?[/quote]

Several.
[url="http://www.beyers-music.de/beyers/seoc/index.php?cPath=1628_262"]Beyers, Cologne[/url]
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb"]Musik-Schmidt[/url]
Haven't bought anything from Musik-Schmidt, but I have from Beyers and the service was excellent, and they price-matched for me. (And all communication was in English, just in case you're worried about the language).

• 1 month later...

am I being dense or do Beyers not have any warwicks..

ebay.de do though

[url="http://shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=streamer+warwick+-rockbass++lx4&_sacat=0&_dmpt=Gitarren&_odkw=streamer+warwick+-rockbass&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313"]http://shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=streamer+w...6.c0.m270.l1313[/url]

I had a 90's bolt on streamer which I tried to paint as I didn't like the worn wax finish, I wish I still had that one...

[quote name='girya32' post='1307672' date='Jul 18 2011, 12:10 PM']am I being dense or do Beyers not have any warwicks..

ebay.de do though

[url="http://shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=streamer+warwick+-rockbass++lx4&_sacat=0&_dmpt=Gitarren&_odkw=streamer+warwick+-rockbass&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313"]http://shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=streamer+w...6.c0.m270.l1313[/url]

I had a 90's bolt on streamer which I tried to paint as I didn't like the worn wax finish, I wish I still had that one...[/quote]

[s]You're being dense.[/s]
Ahem. They seem to have some problem with their database, so if you look for basses, and then refine by brand, "Warwick" is not listed. But if you search the site...
[url="http://www.beyers-music.de/beyers/seoc/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=warwick&x=0&y=0"]http://www.beyers-music.de/beyers/seoc/adv...amp;x=0&y=0[/url]
... there are plenty.
:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did manage to bag a bargain on Ebay. I got myself a fretless Warwick Streamer Jazzman, in natural in mint condition with hiscox hard case and all the Warwick accessories for a wonderful sum of £500. Proper German made and from 2005 I think. I just noticed that bass Merchant have updated their selection of Warwick they sell and they have the bass I bought for just under £2400 :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1322837' date='Aug 1 2011, 10:29 AM']Well I did manage to bag a bargain on Ebay. I got myself a fretless Warwick Streamer Jazzman, in natural in mint condition with hiscox hard case and all the Warwick accessories for a wonderful sum of £500. Proper German made and from 2005 I think. I just noticed that bass Merchant have updated their selection of Warwick they sell and they have the bass I bought for just under £2400 :)[/quote]

Wow, that is one hell of a bargain, congrats Linus. Great bass too! Give us pics when it arrives.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1322943' date='Aug 1 2011, 12:05 PM']Wow, that is one hell of a bargain, congrats Linus. Great bass too! Give us pics when it arrives.[/quote]

Will do. Its at my sisters in Preston at the moment but I collect it at the end of the month. So can't wait.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1322961' date='Aug 1 2011, 12:17 PM']Will do. Its at my sisters in Preston at the moment but I collect it at the end of the month. So can't wait.[/quote]

Or alternatively bring it along to the Bass Bash :)

There are some serious bargains to be had out there. IMO mine is reasonably priced but I've still not even had an offer, and it's on here, TalkBass, eBay, Warwick forums....