Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Midget

ficelles

The Barefaced Midget - I am really really GASsing for one of these to use as a compact match for my SWR Electric Blue head... so who can tell me they are overrated and not worth the £££s? I can't really afford one but they look great and the specs are very convincing esp with the attenuable tweeter (looks like a great single-cab solution for both BG and DB) so I really need to be put off...

ficelles

Hi ficelles. I got one of these a month or so ago, here are my thoughts.

It is great with the DB and ABG as well as being a stage monitor with the EBG.

I put the whole mix through it sometimes and it sounds really clear and loud, good for me & the drummer.

Light as a feather and it goes really loud.

Works with effects really well and you can really hear everything you play.

I went from a Ashdown setup and find I want to add loads of bass boost otherwise I think it sounds a bit thin (in comparison). It is hard getting used to a flat sound...

Not gigged with it alone in at a large venue and would worry if I didn't have PA sub support.

As for customer support, mine came with a massive rattle caused by the front grill not clearing the screws which hold down the tweeter. Whilst the service could have been quicker, it was sorted out by barefaced sending me out some more tape and me replacing what was there with some thicker stuff. Sorted now but worth remembering you are getting a hand made product.

So to answer your questions...

- Versatile? Yes. From acoustic set-up, loud rehearsals, stage monitoring and small gigs, it has all the basses covered (pun intended!).

- Worth the money? Yes, but only for it's lightness. It is a lot of money!

- Overrated? No. I had unrealistic expectations thinking it would be a one cab set-up. It is, but only if you have a good PA support in large venues. I would get a compact if you wanted one cab for everywhere and just accept the loss of top end.

Edited by Thurbs

I've been using the non-tweeter version for around 7 months now...for all sorts of gigs on BG and EUB (with an EA Micro).

Its a very good "one box for all" cab, and the light weight is wonderful for those gigs where you can't get the car get close to the venue (seems to be most these days). The sound does have a bit of mid emphasis, but nothing unpleasant - if anything it helps to keep things clear in bad acoustics, without feeling you should turn up the volume. I've also got a lovely Bag End 1x15" - sounds fantastic, is only a bit bigger than the midget..but I've only used it about three times since I've had the BF cab. The Bag End sounds deeper and very musical, but it is over twice the weight.

Mine had some distortion when it arrived, so back it went. Problem was sorted in a few days, so not a concern - except that it was the speakon terminals inside the cab. Don't know what would've happened if my amp had been damaged by the speaker fault, so worth checking things over carefully.

The size of the cab is also very good. Not imposing or obvious in "acoustic" or cramped situations. I had the BF Compact on loan for a few days, and though it sounded great and was very light, it was just too big and black for a lot of the smaller gigs I do.

Quick edit for ;

Don't forget to look out for used Euphonic Audio cabs - not as light as the BF, but the Wizzy/Mline Wizzy are very, very good. Would go well with SWR BB, provided you don't have to go "loud".

Edited by BassBod

I bought one of these to use with a 1x15 and add some extra growl to my sound when using my Fender P. It does exactly that and sounds great! If you want a small cab with good mids and tops then this is it but if you want a fat bottom you'll need something else.

The ones I've seen have been poorly constructed and sounded average at best, to my ears. I see some users saying that the build quality has risen recently.

A grille that doesn't clear the tweeter and is fixed with tape? We're talking about a £550 premium cab here, not a cheapy. I would be completely dissatisfied with tape as a solution.

Edited by Toasted

Duncan/Bassbod's cab was the first sent out using push-on connectors on the speakon socket, instead of soldering the wires - turns out they needed crimping before pushing on - first and last time we made that mistake!

We use foam tape to damp any grill vibrations on all our cabs (so the tape goes around the outside edge of the underside of the grill and the grill is screwed down onto it). Since Richard encountered that rattle we've switched to thicker tape on the Midget T for additional clearance, which is what he was sent to cure the problem. I think what must have happened is that the tape at the end of a roll wasn't actually meeting thickness specs because we'd never had that issue before but it happened on a few cabs simultaneously (and unfortunately didn't happen on testing because the tape was newly fitted and hadn't bedded down). We didn't just say "oh, there's a rattle, we'll send him some random tape to shove in there and bodge it!" the tape is an integral part of the design.

I've just added a Midget (thanks to waltsdog on here) to my Compact - and it's my first band practice with it tonight, which I am certainly looking forward to.

I've had the Compact for over a year now and has been rather good for all sorts of gigs - and has generated a lot of favourable feedback from punters, some of which are bass players themselves. I'm looking forward to trying the pair in anger soon (gonna try them with both my MAG600 and Ampeg Micro VR heads) - and who knows I might even go the double Midget route lol.

Anyway... time to pack the car :)

Cheers

Geoff

Very happy with mine, it needs a bit of bass boost on the amp, but handles it well.....done most of my gigs with a single midget t this year, I also have Compact to add for bigger venues. Talking of grill rattles above, my EA wizzy 10 suffered from this. I was sent a repair kit by EA, but it still rattled with deep bass.....had to "bodge" it myself with foam rubber between the bottom of the speaker and the port. Have not had any unwanted noises from the BF speakers.

Right well that was a fun practice. This band is a 5 piece covers setup (me, 2 guitarists, male vocalist and a drummerist) - and the others joked when I turned up with my Compact in one hand - and it's Mini-Me brother in the other lol.

I have to say the Compact + Midget stack is rather a delight to behold and even more so to hear. Even the little Micro-VR head (rated at 200W into 4Ohms) sounded loud and tuneful - and would probably do for a lot of the gigs we do. It definitely needs 2 cabs (or whatever 4Ohm combination you have) to make it sing.

I then tried the MAG600. I've had this head nearly 2 years I think - it was a 'special' via Soundslive: UK made Mk1 version without the built-in compressor. I've always really liked the sounds I can get with it, and so far its proven 100% reliable and rugged. And loud throught the Compact alone. Adding the Midget to the stack was beautiful. Tuneful, punchy and plenty of bottom when I want it. The Midget really brings out the mids, and being on top of the Compact is so easy and clear to hear. Putting a bit of drive via my Zoom B2 came across just how I want it to. This was with my Highway 1 Jazz.

I think this setup is gonna be it for a while. Although, the idea of changing the Compact for another Midget does appeal - but I will revisit that idea after a few gigs with this lot.

Some think the Barefaced cabs are pricey - but not when you compare them against what they can replace, rather than another typical single 15 or 12 incher. And ironically, the Compact now feels large and heavy compared to the Midget lol.

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' post='1270810' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:04 PM']Right well that was a fun practice. This band is a 5 piece covers setup (me, 2 guitarists, male vocalist and a drummerist) - and the others joked when I turned up with my Compact in one hand - and it's Mini-Me brother in the other lol.

I have to say the Compact + Midget stack is rather a delight to behold and even more so to hear. Even the little Micro-VR head (rated at 200W into 4Ohms) sounded loud and tuneful - and would probably do for a lot of the gigs we do. It definitely needs 2 cabs (or whatever 4Ohm combination you have) to make it sing.

I then tried the MAG600. I've had this head nearly 2 years I think - it was a 'special' via Soundslive: UK made Mk1 version without the built-in compressor. I've always really liked the sounds I can get with it, and so far its proven 100% reliable and rugged. And loud throught the Compact alone. Adding the Midget to the stack was beautiful. Tuneful, punchy and plenty of bottom when I want it. The Midget really brings out the mids, and being on top of the Compact is so easy and clear to hear. Putting a bit of drive via my Zoom B2 came across just how I want it to. This was with my Highway 1 Jazz.

I think this setup is gonna be it for a while. Although, the idea of changing the Compact for another Midget does appeal - but I will revisit that idea after a few gigs with this lot.

Some think the Barefaced cabs are pricey - but not when you compare them against what they can replace, rather than another typical single 15 or 12 incher. And ironically, the Compact now feels large and heavy compared to the Midget lol.

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny.

Cheers

Geoff[/quote]

I totally agree Geoff.

I've had my Compact for a few years and my Midget for almost a year.

I love the Compact for it's rich deep sounds and the Midget for it's snarly sound and bass if you boost the lower frequencies.

I prefer the Compact as a single cab but the Midget is excellent too in that role.

Together they are a joy to use.

The only cab which I would want to replace these cabs with would be a BF super twelve but really, I'd want to keep them all. :)

Frank.

[quote name='RandomBass' post='1270971' date='Jun 16 2011, 07:46 AM']+1 on the Super Twelve, Frank. Although I can't help wondering if two Midgets will do the same thing, or whether having the single enclosure of the Super12 adds something more...

Geoff[/quote]
Interesting thought....
The Super12 has more internal volume than two Midgets, so I'd expect some differences in the low end, with more extension from the Super12. The [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm"]figures are here[/url], and bear this out. There is a dual Midget set of figures to compare with the Super12. Click the 'Barefaced Technical Specs' link under the 'Technical Information' heading.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1270981' date='Jun 16 2011, 08:24 AM']Interesting thought....
The Super12 has more internal volume than two Midgets, so I'd expect some differences in the low end, with more extension from the Super12. The [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm"]figures are here[/url], and bear this out. There is a dual Midget set of figures to compare with the Super12. Click the 'Barefaced Technical Specs' link under the 'Technical Information' heading.[/quote]

Of course - I'd forgotten about the Tech Specs on Alex's site :)

Unless my eyes are playing up, the figures are overall more favourable for a Dual Midget setup except for the low end extension (assuming that can be directly equated to the lowest frequency the cab is designed to reproduce) which is 31Hz for the Midget and 25Hz for the S12. That latter figure is the same as the Compact which I also have, so I can sort of relate to the difference.

All very interesting stuff.

Either way, these are fab cabs.

Cheers

Geoff