Why become a member? ×

The G4M £429 bass..

toys19

So thinking of getting a double bass - I'm a crap bassist at best but just want to bang out acoustic - basic, lines for when we are unplugged.. Will this be any good or is it just too horrific to consider? I dunno if I can stretch to £1k for what is essentially a hobby and the odd gig for anyone foolish enough to listen to our rubbish.. [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Deluxe-3-4-Solid-Top-Double-Bass-and-Case/1O6"]g4m £429..[/url]

Edited by toys19

While, buying new will give you a warranty etc, many on here would argue that it would still benefit from a proper setup to get the action how you want it etc etc. So this in turn adds more money into the mix. I would personally get looking on eBay or here, or contact your local high schools in the area. I picked a full 4/4 DB for £50 from a school! Just needed a sound post re-sit and the bass was up and running again! Obviously, buying unseen from eBay is a bit hit and miss, but if you can get a good bargain a bit of money you save could be spent on getting it set up properly. It's a funny balancing act, each with pros and cons. I'm sure more learned members will guide you better than I will though :)

[quote name='toys19' post='1264192' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:49 PM']but just want to bang out[/quote]
I recently discovered how much of a monster a double bass is to play. Luckily I absolutely love the sound, so it makes it worth the time, money, and massive blisters. So honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you're planning on putting the effort it, else it's not really worth it. Of course I may have completely misinterpreted the tone of your post, in which case ignore this one :)

I live quite close to G4M so I went to their showroom a couple of months back to see what DBs they had on the floor. Those cheap ones are awful, you would have to spend as much again to get it up to snuff.

Even the £800 one was a dog. It had potential but again, you would have to spend a lot, and you would not add any value to the bass, and it would be a gamble anyway - it might still be a rubbish bass when you're done.

My advice would be to look for used instruments that have actually been played. There's often stuff around the £500 mark on eBay.

Have you seen this? It's a school selling a seemingly 3/4 Gear for Music bass. Pickup Essex.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220796392416&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url]

EDIT: Pickup Hertfordshire. btw it's got a hard case too (you could sell that), and the seller says he may take offers.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1264364' date='Jun 10 2011, 08:37 PM']I live quite close to G4M so I went to their showroom a couple of months back to see what DBs they had on the floor. Those cheap ones are awful, you would have to spend as much again to get it up to snuff.

Even the £800 one was a dog. It had potential but again, you would have to spend a lot, and you would not add any value to the bass, and it would be a gamble anyway - it might still be a rubbish bass when you're done.

My advice would be to look for used instruments that have actually been played. There's often stuff around the £500 mark on eBay.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='toys19' post='1264192' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:49 PM']So thinking of getting a double bass - I'm a crap bassist at best but just want to bang out acoustic - basic, lines for when we are unplugged.. Will this be any good or is it just too horrific to consider? I dunno if I can stretch to £1k for what is essentially a hobby and the odd gig for anyone foolish enough to listen to our rubbish.. [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Deluxe-3-4-Solid-Top-Double-Bass-and-Case/1O6"]g4m £429..[/url][/quote]

These are actually OK.

You will need different strings - you can buy them second hand on here or on TB. Allow £60

You will need to lower the action. You can do this with a needle file.

You will not be playing the great works of dead German composers on it, but you will be able to go thump thump thump.

You could sell the hard case on Ebay. I have a pupil who sold her case for £180.

I got a G4M £800 "dog", spent £110 on strings and £180 on a setup / partial bridge carve and it sounds great. I bought it based on a review on here from a pro DB player, maybe worth a search.

FWIW I paid £500 for a used bass from a guy I know, came with all the accoutrements, needed no more money spending on it whatsoever, plays great, sounds huge. It's a bit battered but I don't honestly care, I've banged it on every door jamb in the house since I got it so it doesn't make any difference.

Anyway that's why I would advise picking up a (well-) used bass as a first bass. Then you'll know it was at least playable for someone once. :)

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1266953' date='Jun 13 2011, 09:19 AM']+1 to all those who said you'll get a MUCH better deal by looking out on ebay / classifieds here.
Really nice European made, 20-50 year old ply basses often go for under £500.
You just need someone from here to spot it for you.[/quote]

+1 - I picked up my Hungarian student 3/4 on fleabay for well under £500, but then spent £175-ish on a new bridge/setup etc. Luckily I had a set of spirocores lying around. Although I did have to get a gig bag. Anyway the result is imho far better than if I'd bought one of those "bargain" new basses for the same price, and it looks so much cooler!

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

I took this advice, and ended up buying a second hand G4M bass for £300, plus the £80 for a setup, which was paid for by selling the giant hardcase. Took my teacher to test it with me, since he obviously knows far more than me, and he reckoned it was a decent one. I haven't really played any other 'budget' basses to compare it to, but I like it anyway. Once I can afford it, and feel I deserve it, I'll probably sell it on and find something of a higher quality, but that'll be for a while yet!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ZMech' post='1271328' date='Jun 16 2011, 12:35 PM']I took this advice, and ended up buying a second hand G4M bass for £300, plus the £80 for a setup, which was paid for by selling the giant hardcase. Took my teacher to test it with me, since he obviously knows far more than me, and he reckoned it was a decent one. I haven't really played any other 'budget' basses to compare it to, but I like it anyway. Once I can afford it, and feel I deserve it, I'll probably sell it on and find something of a higher quality, but that'll be for a while yet![/quote]

+1 to all of this. You do need to budget for a proper setup and decent strings, but then they sound pretty reasonable to me.

And the hard case is excellent!

Hi

I bought one of these s/h locally, really so I could use the bag and case with my old bass - unfortunately the lower bout of my bass is too wide so they were no use - however it sold on easily. The bass was OK, very resonant - it was the solid top one, and well worth the money they charge IMHO.

Pete