Why become a member? ×

jaco pastorius on radio 3

ahpook

whilst checking to see when a documentary on minimalist music is on on saturday i noticed that radio 3's 'jazz library' programme (12 midnight, saturday night) is on mr pastorius.

[i]"Jaco Pastorius was a master of the fretless electric bass, and became a key figure in jazz-rock fusion. To identify the essential Pastorius albums, Alyn Shipton is joined by pianist Gwilym Simcock, to cover music ranging from discs by Weather Report and Joni Mitchell to several of the records the bassist made under his own name."[/i]

just thought i'd pass it on :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1255205' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:15 AM']Why is Mr S (my editor, by the way) interviewing Gwilym and not someone like Al Dankworth, Lol Cottle or even Guy Pratt? Seems a wasted opportunity to me.[/quote]

no idea !

i'll prolly be just sticking to the minimalism documentary...unless it a repeat....

:)

i'll get my coat.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1255205' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:15 AM']Why is Mr S (my editor, by the way) interviewing Gwilym and not someone like Al Dankworth, Lol Cottle or even Guy Pratt? Seems a wasted opportunity to me.[/quote]

At least they aren't interviewing Jamie Cullum.

Why interview a pianist about a bass player when you can interview a bass player? GS is not someone I have heard much of so its not a dig at him. Just thought someone who played the same instrument would offer insights. To be fair, JP was a composer also so that may be the rationale.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1255433' date='Jun 3 2011, 01:41 PM']Why interview a pianist about a bass player when you can interview a bass player? GS is not someone I have heard much of so its not a dig at him. Just thought someone who played the same instrument would offer insights. To be fair, JP was a composer also so that may be the rationale.[/quote]

Well said. Its the same with anything i have seen on mingus.