Why become a member? ×

New project bass....

castlemaine22

Hey all,

I've recently acquired a black Encore P bass for free and I'm toying with the idea of making it a project bass. The deciding factor at the moment is what type of wood the body is made from, as I will no doubt be ripping everything else off and replacing it!

I was wondering if anyone knew what wood the body is? I have searched the internet with no luck, different sites say it is basswood (good!) others say 'composite'! Or, is there a way of telling the type of wood from visual inspection?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to end up, as the phrase goes, 'polishing a turd'!

I was looking at one of these in a local secondhand shop recently. It actually looked ok, just a bit too heavy for my frail old bod.

Can't answer your question about the body wood but I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on the forum about Encore projects. Try a search.

If the neck is ok, I would go ahead and replace some parts, esxpecially as it hasn't cost you a thing as yet.

Yeah if you take the neck off or the pickup out you'll be able to tell if its solid wood or plywood. If it's plywood you will see distinct, evenly spaced layers inside the routes. If it's solid wood then the routes will be relatively smooth and uniform.

If it's made from solid wood there's every chance it'll be some obscure, cheap weed wood even Encore themselves wouldn't know the exact name for so don't worry too much about it! Either way, if it cost nothing you've already got a bargain.

A friend of mine had one which used to hang around our rehearsal space. This one had been partly stripped, seemingly using a chisel (!), and was very definitely solid wood. It looked a bit like the rubberwood they use for chopping boards and cheap furniture, so I presume it's a mystery Asian hardwood. It was nice and light though, and sounded like a respectable p-bass once we'd put in a decent pickup.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='castlemaine22' post='1252330' date='Jun 1 2011, 08:07 AM']I was wondering if anyone knew what wood the body is? I have searched the internet with no luck, different sites say it is basswood (good!) others say 'composite'! Or, is there a way of telling the type of wood from visual inspection?[/quote]

I'm in the middle of an Encore project at the moment - mine's basswood, and it's definitely solid! All the Encores I've come across have been basswood, but no doubt there are some other woods kicking around in some models. :)

Edited by Ben Jamin

I could well be wrong here, but i was led to believe that the early versions with the Fender style headstock were made from solid wood, and the later types were plywood, although if you can find one, the LTD 83 version is made from ash.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78831&hl=encore+ltd"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=encore+ltd[/url]