Why become a member? ×

Takamine TB-10

malcolm.mcintyre

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with many thanks to the very professional and easy to deal with Rainer (mrbassman_de), who sent this from Germany in packaging that would have withstood even Parcelforce's weekend staff's best efforts, I've now have the Takamine B-10 for two weeks. I've spent a lot of time playing it and rehearsed it for the first time today.

Firstly, the build quality is phenomenal. As soon as you pick it up you know it's a class instrument. It looks stunning, in a Baroque meets late '60s instrument way, and whilst I don't like gold hardware, it just works on this bass. Even the case is a work of art!

I played it - unplugged - with what I assume were the stock strings, and hated the sound. I put on a set of TI Jazz flats, and hated the sound almost as much. A set of Roto nylons got closer to what I was after but were way too squeeky, but strung with the Rickenbacker 4445s taken from my 4003FL, things started to look up in a big way.

So strings were sorted, time to get stuck in. Playing wise, the action is too low for me and there's nothing I can do about it other than get used to it, which seemeds a major design flaw at Takamine's end. I wanted something that played like a DB, but the action is lower than my 4003FL. Having said that, after playing it for an hour or two, and although I'd have preferred some choice, it seems Takamine have got the action pretty much just right.

So, next stage was to plug in to my AI rig. F*** me, what an amazingly versatile preamp. First thing I realised is that you have to use the reverb sparingly, it's way OTT. Next thing you realise is that like a Sadowsky pre, a little is a lot; small changes in settings really make a huge difference in tone and character. I have no idea of the full range of tone this baby does, but the range I've come across so far is impressive, especially given that unlike many acoustic-electric instruments, all of the sounds seem to relate to the core acoustic tone of the instrument. What it also does very well is bass, real man's bass.

So the real test for me was whether or not it can replicate a DB tone sufficient for me to be able to use it live and still get the DB tone we get in the studio. Simple answer; yes. It ain't perfect, but it's close enough.

All in all I'm probably happier with this bass than I've been with a bass for a very long time. I guess in saying that what I'm really saying that whilst a lot of basses I've owned have promised much but delivered less, this didn't promise a whole lot but has delivered by the ton.

Keeper? Yes.

Clarky, Dave, Rainer, many thanks for your help with this. It was a risk, entailed parting with a lot of Mesa Boogie gear, but in the final analysis, I'm very glad I did

C

Nice one Chris, glad its what you were after. Funnily enough, as I mentioned to you, Dave's B-10 (my old one and before that Mr Bassman's) has quite a 'man's action' and other web reviews of B/TB-10 owners say the same. I did read somewhere on the web that the big wooden tail block can be adjusted internally to alter the action. I guess yours has been lowered at some point, meaning it could probably also be raised again if you so wished.

Very good, Chris, I'm very glad you're happy.

Tell me more about the Rickenbacker strings please. I'm still playing the La Bella black nylons and they are fine but I keep imagining there might be something better. Are the 4445s black nylon too? Where did you get them?

On the matter of the action, mine is 7/32 at the 12th on the E string. How does that compare?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1324232529' post='1472120']
Nice one Chris, glad its what you were after. Funnily enough, as I mentioned to you, Dave's B-10 (my old one and before that Mr Bassman's) has quite a 'man's action' and other web reviews of B/TB-10 owners say the same. I did read somewhere on the web that the big wooden tail block can be adjusted internally to alter the action. I guess yours has been lowered at some point, meaning it could probably also be raised again if you so wished.
[/quote]

Thanks Clarky, I'll take a look at that option. Keep you posted if things change, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1324234144' post='1472146']
Very good, Chris, I'm very glad you're happy.

Tell me more about the Rickenbacker strings please. I'm still playing the La Bella black nylons and they are fine but I keep imagining there might be something better. Are the 4445s black nylon too? Where did you get them?

On the matter of the action, mine is 7/32 at the 12th on the E string. How does that compare?
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, the 4445s are my fave string, kinda felt feel to them, although they are technically nylon I believe. You'll have to keep a VERY close eye on eBay USA for them, and be prepared to pay a few dollars as they are no longer made. I would be gutted if I broke any of mine.

I'll check the action and let you know how changing it as per Clarky's message above goes mate, might sort both our problems!

Chris

Edited by Beedster

• 1 month later...

Chiming in!
I've got my B10 just few weeks ago, it is an older one, made in 1995 according to the serial number. What a great instrument I must say!

Mine has dead preamp (but was really cheap so absolutely worth the money), the pickup is wired straight to the jack socket then I go to the outboard Fishman pre, the same I use for my double bass. It sounds pretty damn incredible B)
One thing I've tried right from the start is putting double bass strings on it. I had one unbranded steel-core set lying around, had to cut them to length; bridge silks go a bit over the bridge saddle, but other than that it worked fine, the bass plays and feels just great!

I mainly play it horisontally like bass guitar. Tried to play vertically but didn't like it for some reason. Double bass feels much more naturally for me than B10 played verically. Tried it with the bow too but fingerbord radius and stand-off from the body is not big enough: it is impossible to dig in well without touching adjacent strings. It can be done as a gimmick once in a gig but not as main technique....

[quote name='DolganoFF' timestamp='1328124121' post='1522281']
Chiming in!
I've got my B10 just few weeks ago, it is an older one, made in 1995 according to the serial number. What a great instrument I must say!

Mine has dead preamp (but was really cheap so absolutely worth the money), the pickup is wired straight to the jack socket then I go to the outboard Fishman pre, the same I use for my double bass. It sounds pretty damn incredible B)
One thing I've tried right from the start is putting double bass strings on it. I had one unbranded steel-core set lying around, had to cut them to length; bridge silks go a bit over the bridge saddle, but other than that it worked fine, the bass plays and feels just great!

I mainly play it horisontally like bass guitar. Tried to play vertically but didn't like it for some reason. Double bass feels much more naturally for me than B10 played verically. Tried it with the bow too but fingerbord radius and stand-off from the body is not big enough: it is impossible to dig in well without touching adjacent strings. It can be done as a gimmick once in a gig but not as main technique....
[/quote]
Welcome to the club.

Hi fellows,
I played my old TB 10 (early 90's) for almost 10 years, and like you, i went through differents "periods" with that bass.
First, i started to play horizontally : i asked my luthier to install a "female" black strap-lock on the "talon". I may have picts if you want.
As i was coming from fretless bass guitar, i was confortable (even with that big neck) and i was playing with roundwound strings.

Slowly, i switched to vertical playing. I asked my luthier to add small abalone dots on the side to help in the beginning. It is not a minor issue with that bass. Sorry but as you saw the bassist with tatoos doesn't play in tune...
It needs work and hours of playing but the result worths the pain.

Once i mastered the way of playing this beast, i got aware that the TB10 doesn't sound the same horizontally and vertically.
First, you touch it differently and secondly the instrument doesn't vibe the same way. It is important to know that.

At the end, i tried flatwounds and after few weeks i decide to keep them. Only on this bass, i am not a "flat" fan.
Now i admit it fits the bass, i learned to make them "sing" as roundwounds do.

I don't want to be too long and i do my best with english, so i stop here this evening.

Edited by Emanew

• 1 month later...

played small gig with a singer from Siberia (awesome stuff, traditional siberian song-based kind of folk-rock).

If you want to hear how my B-10 sounds, take a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R45LksdNBT4

Keep in mind this is almost a jam, we've had only 3-4 hours for rehearsals before the gig :)