Why become a member? ×

wiki

bass_ferret

[quote name='neepheid' post='143209' date='Feb 19 2008, 05:12 PM']I think your poll needs more flexibility - I have occasionally had a look through the wiki so I wouldn't say any of the three options are applicable.[/quote]
Same here... can't say I've ever found it useful though... 'tis faaar too much of a mess - sadly I don't have the necessary expertise to add anything to it but if more people did then it would presumably be much easier to use than pinned threads

Well the stuff on strings is what I copied from bassworld and I never bothered to tidy it up because I did not think anyone would bother to look at it. It is much easier to keep asking the same questions over and over again without bothering to look at whether the answer is already there. Some even got right sh*tty when I pointed out the pinned threads so whats the point?

Mind you the search facility does not encourage looking for similar threads.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='143378' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:08 PM']Well the stuff on strings is what I copied from bassworld and I never bothered to tidy it up because I did not think anyone would bother to look at it. It is much easier to keep asking the same questions over and over again without bothering to look at whether the answer is already there. Some even got right sh*tty when I pointed out the pinned threads so whats the point?

Mind you the search facility does not encourage looking for similar threads.[/quote]

I guess with Basschat being a community, people prefer to ask questions than to search through posts to see if it has been asked before because more often than not, someone will have another view to add. The best thing to do if repeated questions really annoy you is to just not read them - other new members will, and reply - and the balance is restored. Happy days.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='143378' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:08 PM']Well the stuff on strings is what I copied from bassworld and I never bothered to tidy it up because I did not think anyone would bother to look at it. It is much easier to keep asking the same questions over and over again without bothering to look at whether the answer is already there. Some even got right sh*tty when I pointed out the pinned threads so whats the point?

Mind you the search facility does not encourage looking for similar threads.[/quote]

Oh dear You sound a tad upset mate. Cheer up :)
There's some good stuff in there but it does need a bit of work to make it more like an FAQ than a stream of consciousness.

If it was arranged like an FAQ it would certainly work better to answer the common questions, get used more and cut down the repetition.

Just looked at it for the first time.

As a noob looking at it I think I would be rather discouraged as there`s only 1 out of the first 6 bits of the section I would go to first (ie Buying) that is in any way finished.

maybe we need a concentrated effort of sorts to at least start thinking about getting it completed.

[quote name='ped' post='143400' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:34 PM']I guess with Basschat being a community, people prefer to ask questions than to search through posts to see if it has been asked before because more often than not, someone will have another view to add. The best thing to do if repeated questions really annoy you is to just not read them - other new members will, and reply - and the balance is restored. Happy days.[/quote]
Wassup Ped - been taking c*** lessons from Kiwi? I am happy to just point people in the direction of the wiki - and if I get abused for not spoon-feeding them the answers I will abuse them right back.

[quote name='OldGit' post='143572' date='Feb 20 2008, 10:23 AM']Oh dear You sound a tad upset mate. Cheer up :)
There's some good stuff in there but it does need a bit of work to make it more like an FAQ than a stream of consciousness.

If it was arranged like an FAQ it would certainly work better to answer the common questions, get used more and cut down the repetition.[/quote]
Not really upset but I did not want to waste my time. I've hacked it around a bit to make it look better but everyone else needs to chip in with their experience - thats how wiki's work.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='143599' date='Feb 20 2008, 11:12 AM']Wassup Ped - been taking c*** lessons from Kiwi? I am happy to just point people in the direction of the wiki - and if I get abused for not spoon-feeding them the answers I will abuse them right back.[/quote]

:) Maybe re-read my post and get a grip?

Only just looked at the Wiki (although I've known it's there for some time).

In principal it's a great idea.

BUT I think there's a major overlap with the sticky threads in that anything useful tends to be there at the top of each board.

In other words, I would use it but the stuff I want is usually in sticky threads.

Edited by clauster

[quote name='clauster' post='143646' date='Feb 20 2008, 01:06 PM']Only just looked at the Wiki (although I've known it's there for some time).

In principal it's a great idea.

BUT I think there's a major overlap with the sticky threads in that anything useful tends to be there at the top of each board.

In other words, I would use it but the stuff I want is usually in sticky threads.[/quote]
Yes there is some duplication but the sticky threads can get a bit messy. Presentation wise the wiki is much more flexible it just takes some effort to extract the relevant bits from the threads.

It does not really matter where you put it if people cannot be arsed to look for it.

The advantage of asking questions that have already been answered is that you can get a personalised response - the wiki, if it weren't so bare, would be great for explaining stuff like how to package a bass or wattage-volume to those who don't know, but for questions like "I want to tune to dropped G# for my sludge doom band - what strings would you recommend?", a new thread is only to be welcomed. The same old tired questions can be a bit annoying, but if one can't find the thread where they were originally answered (and the search function isn't very easy to use), how can you blame people? But every time a new question is successfully and usefully answered, what's to stop the consensus being typed up in the wiki? And surely the gist of almost every sticky thread should be in there?

Ok now you've raised the profile of the wiki it may get used more.
I'd be happy to put my website sticky stuff in there as it would be easier than wading through the whole thread.

However it seems tad off kilter to say you havn't made it user friendly because no one is using it ...
Your egg is coming before you chicken somewhat there ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='143792' date='Feb 20 2008, 04:16 PM']Ok now you've raised the profile of the wiki it may get used more.
I'd be happy to put my website sticky stuff in there as it would be easier than wading through the whole thread.

However it seems tad off kilter to say you havn't made it user friendly because no one is using it ...
Your egg is coming before you chicken somewhat there ...[/quote]
Good man - the more stuff thats on there the more it will get used. As for the egg, I laid it when I copied the stuff from bassworld but no chickens went and sat on it.

A lot of the empty pages relate to stickys on the main site - its just the stuff has never been copied.