Why become a member? ×

purple chilli cabs

nomis

[quote name='therose789' post='1244513' date='May 25 2011, 05:17 PM']never really heard them before, are they any good?

ta[/quote]

They used to be Zoot Cabs and are made by Iceni/Zoot who also make Zoot Basses.
I have a pair of Zoot 112's for about 3 years now and am delighted with them. They have just had a re-design to make them more "boutique" looking and the drivers are now Eminence rather than Celestion. They are hand-built and the build quality is fantastic.
I believe Bass Gear have exclusive rioghts to the first 6 months worth of the new range.
At the end of the day, if they sound good to you, they are great, if not, they aren't.

Gtr on a gig turned up with a 4x12 and a Cornford. The cab was stupidly light but I can't say I was knocked out by the sound at all.
Too many factors for me to decide what was at fault..but something was... :)

They seem well made, so I wouldn't rule them out.

I compared 2 1x12's stacked to my 2x12 Genz and the volume difference was massive with the genz blowing them away where a single bergantino has sounded great never mind what two would of been like. The sound was much muddier with the PC's but thats a personal preference thing I guess although its easier to muddy up a clean cab than it is to clean up a muddy cab. The lack of volume was there though I would happily try the same test again with the same outcome. FWIW the owner was a BC member and put them for sale the next morning after that gig :) Just sayin' :)

I've been using two 12" cabs with a LMK2 head for over a year now, have thoroughly enjoyed them, and plan to hold onto them indefinately. For me they have a clear voice that have articulated every note I've attempted to good effect. Cabs are like strings, there's no best or worst, just the ones you like the sound of.

Their lack of weight has become the norm rather than the exception for me, I could never go back to struggling with a heavy cab now. Aesthetically I think they look quite tidy, but looks aren't a dealbreaker to me, and I'm sure they wouldn't be to everybodys taste. I wouldn't describe them as lacking in volume by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure there must be louder cabs out there, but then I'm not interested in chasing that particular sonic prize.

There's only one way to find out if they're the right cabs for you, and that's to try them.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1246435' date='May 26 2011, 11:19 PM']If two 1x12"s have the same total internal volume, same drivers and same tuning as a 2x12" (and both are properly constructed) then the performance will be identical.[/quote]
The Genz blows them away then :) They were not being pushed hard, Both 8 ohm against my single 4 ohm and stacked vertically like my Genz. The volume drop was huge in fact it's the highest my shuttle has ever been at a gig until I plugged my cab in after not liking the sound either no matter what I did with my head, As soon as I unmuted it everyone looked round to see what I was doing so loud including the owner of said chilli cabs who I'm sure would confirm this but it's not my place to name names is it?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Zoot 2x12,which was the marque before Puple Chilli.
So far,I have had to have the control panel replaced,and have removed the tweeter which was so badly seated it caused a rattle.
Yes,it is light to carry and the sound from the Celestian drivers is good,but IMHO the build quality is far below what I would expect for the price range.
Even Bassmerchant told me they had recieved complaints about them.

[quote name='lee4' post='1261854' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:09 PM']I have a Zoot 2x12,which was the marque before Puple Chilli.
So far,I have had to have the control panel replaced,and have removed the tweeter which was so badly seated it caused a rattle.
Yes,it is light to carry and the sound from the Celestian drivers is good,but IMHO the build quality is far below what I would expect for the price range.
Even Bassmerchant told me they had recieved complaints about them.[/quote]

I don't think it's fair to have that quote here as there is 'history' with Iceni Zoot and the Bass Merchant

[quote name='crez5150' post='1261862' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:13 PM']I don't think it's fair to have that quote here as there is 'history' with Iceni Zoot and the Bass Merchant[/quote]
What 'history'?
As far as I know,the cabs,be they Zoot or Purple Chilli are/were made by the same outfit.
I really wanted to support a British company making a good product,but it just did not happen.I can only hope that P-Chilli(sounds like a rapper :) )have upped thier game.
But,as my previous post said,now that the rattles are cured,it sounds good.

[quote name='lee4' post='1261877' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:20 PM']What 'history'?
As far as I know,the cabs,be they Zoot or Purple Chilli are/were made by the same outfit.
I really wanted to support a British company making a good product,but it just did not happen.I can only hope that P-Chilli(sounds like a rapper :) )have upped thier game.
But,as my previous post said,now that the rattles are cured,it sounds good.[/quote]

Not really for me to say on a public forum, but there is History.... Bass Merchant was originally started by Mike Walsh who also makes Purple Chili and Zoot.

The new cabs are sweet.... though Mike is now concentrating more on the guitar cabs.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1261889' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:25 PM']Not really for me to say on a public forum, but there is History.... Bass Merchant was originally started by Mike Walsh who also makes Purple Chili and Zoot.

The new cabs are sweet.... though Mike is now concentrating more on the guitar cabs.[/quote]
I'm not trying to be unfair to anyone intentionally.It sounds like there is bad blood and I do not wish to get involved,even at a distance.
I appreciate all companies have teething problems with products sometimes,and my cab may have been one of those.I am not quibbling about the sound;far from it,as it is good to my ears.My gripe has been with the build quality.
As you are using Chilli cabs,you must be happy with the sound and the build of them.So how do they sound?

[quote name='lee4' post='1261924' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:39 PM']I'm not trying to be unfair to anyone intentionally.It sounds like there is bad blood and I do not wish to get involved,even at a distance.
I appreciate all companies have teething problems with products sometimes,and my cab may have been one of those.I am not quibbling about the sound;far from it,as it is good to my ears.My gripe has been with the build quality.
As you are using Chilli cabs,you must be happy with the sound and the build of them.So how do they sound?[/quote]

I like them.... I've found the build quality and sound comparable to my Aguilar set up. I can't comment if you've had issues with the cabs you've bought, you obviously need to speak with Mike about getting it sorted but had issue with what you were saying about the Bass Merchant saying that there are issues.... all I'm saying is that comment isn't fair as them is history with them and Mike.

I bought one of the old Zoot 2 x 12 boxes from Mike when he moved into production with the PC's. There was a known issue with the handles causing a rattle and this was easily rectified by assembling them with a piece of foam inside them. It wasn't a cab construction problem but a problem with the bought in and otherwise sound handles.

I put a pair of Eminance neo 12's in and an Eminance crossover and it's the best cab I've had plus it's also the lightest - by far. All Mike's cabs are CNC'd so the consistency of build should be there.

I'm surprised about the huge volume drop mentioned above. I suspect something was amiss.

Peter

I found removing the tweeter helped on my 2X12.The handles are solid.I had the back panel rebuilt as well.
The best thing about the Zoot cabs is the fact that I can pick the cab up with one hand,the bass with the other,and have the LM2 in a case over my shoulder.
This allows you to overtake the guys struggling with an Ampeg 8x10!