Why become a member? ×

a spare 20 grand.. which bass shop in the world?

bubinga5

[quote name='silddx' post='1244043' date='May 25 2011, 11:11 AM']:) I so nearly got a Spalt hybrid after seeing BRX's Weird & Wonderful thread when I first joined BC, then gravitated towards a Status Streamline, ended up with a Warwick. I want a Spalt again now :)[/quote]
Had Michael Spalt been set up in Austria (where he is now) rather than LA when I first came across his basses there's a good chance that I would have ended up with a Fretless Hybrid 5-string Magma instead of my Sei.

Oh my god, £20,000 on a bass? I would struggle to spend £2,000. My list would be a Warwick Streamer LX4 which retails about £1,400. If not, then maybe a Fender Jazz 75 Re-issue which retails about £1,700. If I really had to spend some more then I would probably buy an original 70's Fender Jazz but to be honest, that would probably be no more than £2,000 - £3,000 right?

[quote name='chaypup' post='1243834' date='May 25 2011, 08:18 AM']Ishibashi, or a mysterious second hand shop tucked away in the back streeets of Tokyo filled to the brim with weird Japcrap.... :)[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' post='1243878' date='May 25 2011, 09:02 AM']BTW, Unfortunately Ishibashi isn't quite as fantastic in real life, because they are a chain of (6+) shops throughout Japan, so what you see on the web site is the combined stock of all of them and not the contents of a single shop.[/quote]
Not a problem... With 20K I'd have a 2-3 week sojourn in TLoTRS & do the lot. Bound to turf up something interesting & have an educational holiday to boot.

That or a month in Eastern Europe hunting down a truckload of RussianRubbish :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1244094' date='May 25 2011, 11:55 AM']Any idea how much a magma fretless 5 would be about?[/quote]
When I made my initial enquiry back in 2005 I was quoted approximately $3500 plus shipping.

Now that he's moved to Europe at the very least I would expect the Dollar sign to be replaced with a Euro one.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1243352' date='May 24 2011, 07:50 PM'][url="http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/categories/Bass/Fender-/"]Chicago Music Exchange[/url].[/quote]

I would warn you off that one, or at least, tread carefully

They are selling a Doubleneck B.C.Rich Bich bass, which they allude (All sorts of refferences) to it being the bass from the film, Spinal Tap.
They gave me the serial #, shich shows it was made a couple of years after the film, and to top it off, I found THE Spinal Tap bass for my friend in the USA, and have a Certificate from the guy who designed it, stating his is the Spinal Tap bass

I informed Chicago Music Exchange that their doubleneck isn't the Spinal Tap bass,and why, yet they haven't changed their description of the bass

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1243997' date='May 25 2011, 10:45 AM']This is by far the best and my favourite bass shop in the world.. The people actually speak to you for a start!!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=18"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=18[/url][/quote]
+1 - wonderful and how true!