Why become a member? ×

Coated Strings

Hi Guys,

I think its time to change my strings, and am thinking about picking up some coated strings. I have been looking at the DR Peacock Blues but I think they have been discontinued... Are DR's the ones to go with? I like the idea of the colours and my bass is blue so these would go nicely... Also where do you buy from for the best price. £34 seems to be the best price I have found.

Thanks
Gary

[quote name='big25g' post='1237810' date='May 20 2011, 09:58 AM']Hi Guys,

I think its time to change my strings, and am thinking about picking up some coated strings. I have been looking at the DR Peacock Blues but I think they have been discontinued... Are DR's the ones to go with? I like the idea of the colours and my bass is blue so these would go nicely... Also where do you buy from for the best price. £34 seems to be the best price I have found.

Thanks
Gary[/quote]

DRs are generally well respected strings. I don't use the coated ones, but others here do, and I can't recall any issues over and above the usual issues with coated strings;

Dirt making them look dull
Coatings flaking/wearing off (worse if using a plectrum)
They can sound a bit "quacky"on phenolic fretboards. I'm not likely to be putting any on my Status Streamline.

On the plus side, they're easy on the fingers. Easier on frets, too, as the coating wears before your frets.

Re: Peacock Blue DRs- Have they been replaced by a "Neon" blue model?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1237822' date='May 20 2011, 10:08 AM']Re: Peacock Blue DRs- Have they been replaced by a "Neon" blue model?[/quote]

They havent made the Neon versions in blue, which is why I was looking at the older version. My bass is an odd blue to match the neons.

What do you all think would go with this colour bass? (no idea why the photo is upside down, its ok when I open it on the pc)

Try here..I didn't see the Blue but they had most other colours..

Price in $s - not sure how much this is by the time they've been imported..

[url="http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dr.html#top"]http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dr.html#top[/url]

Got a 'hot pink' set on my warwick at the moment, and am fairly impressed with them. Can't say they're significantly better than my favoured rotosound rounds, but they do feel nice and look great! I know yours is a 4er, but if any 5er players are reading this, if you can, check in a shop if the low B will fit in your bridge, my DR low B didn't fit a Warwick bridge, because the windings near the ball end were nothing like uniform enough to fit through the gap - didn't get a refund/or replacement string either, was not impressed with stringsdirect!

[quote name='big25g' post='1237810' date='May 20 2011, 09:58 AM']Hi Guys,

Thanks
Gary[/quote]

I used DR coated (mostly black beauties, but some peacock blues and whatever-greens). I liked them, they sounded good, lasted long bright... but eventually I went off them for no other reason that I like D'Addarios better (and were about half the price! :))

Hmmm... I actually have a set of Peacock Blues... They were put on a bass (2+2: Warwick Corvette $$) for a few days, and removed to put the D'Addarios.
I still have them and I'm not likely to put them on any bass anytime soon... If you want them fire me a PM and you can have them for a lot less than £34. But your bass must be a 2+2 headstock.

i made the transition to coated strings with my last purchase, opted for DR black beauties. The main reason being i am utter hopeless at changing my strings, they are usually well rotten by the time i change them

The DRs do have a nice sound (but as you tell from the above i'm not too keen on the super bright sound of new strings) and they keep their sound. I've also had no problems at all with the coating flaking or anything similar, although if you use a plectrum that will probably remove the coating fairly quickly.

i'm changing the strings on another bass and have ordered a set of ernie ball coated, just to compare...just ordered today so i can't comment yet.

I use DR Black Beauties. The coloured ones you'll find are mostly DR Neons. Get them from Guitaruperhero in the States, I always do, MUCH cheaper and they arrive quickly.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DR-Neon-Hi-Def-Green-NGB-45-Bass-Strings-45-105-/300555799193?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45fa858a99#ht_720wt_1141"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DR-Neon-Hi-Def-Green...9#ht_720wt_1141[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1239826' date='May 21 2011, 11:48 PM']Coated strings... tried them, didn't like how they feel under the fingertips. Kinda raspy, sort of sticky. Not my cuppa. bleuuurrrgghhhh! :)[/quote]
They are NOT raspy or sticky! Unless you bought some sh*t ones :)

Just bought a set of Elixirs, having previously had TI Jazz flats on. Feel better than uncoated roundwounds and give a really balanced tone, with good fundamental and a defined but not clangy middle and top. there's a slight adjustment needed from the fairly loose feeling TIs, but I'm impressed so far.

The TIs had been on for years, so we'll see how long the Elixirs last.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1244684' date='May 25 2011, 07:44 PM']The only coated strings I found that were 'sticky' were the original Elixir Polyweb with the thicker coating. I haven't found any of the thinner-coated strings on most makes to be like that. You really can't tell there's a coating at all.[/quote]

Yeah, don't think they make the 'polyweb' strings for anything other than acoustics now. For some reason that thick coating just never worked on bass or electric guitar.

The current 'nanoweb' Elixirs are fantastic though. I found they sounded as good as the DR's, lasted longer and were a smoother feel. Each to their own though.