Why become a member? ×

Good rack preamp

callingltu

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying rack preamp, because i'll get good power amp.
So could anyone suggest some preamps?

I really love ashdown sound, its sad that they dont make RPM anymore and used costs almost like abm head.

So could you suggest me smth sounding like ashdown, ampeg, trace elliotr? And is easy to get. I prefer tube preamp. And would like it around 300$ :)

Cheers

Its really a case of what sort of sound you're looking to get - do you want "drive" do you want "slap scoop" or whatever.

One often overlooked is the older Trace Elliot GP11 (the mark iv with the odd XLR input). It doesn't have a sound as such (if you ignore the pre-shape switch) but can sound very good with any bass..as long as you don't need distortion or overdrive.

The good news is that rack preamps are generally cheap because they are fairly bulky. They get sold off pretty quickly when people start downsizing their setup, so keep an eye out in the for sales and over a couple of weeks you'll see some great stuff on offer.

[quote name='lbquota' post='1239936' date='May 22 2011, 06:58 AM']If you like the Ashdown sound then I would go for the Ampeg preamp although you'll not be able to replicate that sub-harmonic kick so unique in the Ashdown gear.[/quote]

That sounds like a selling point to me.