Why become a member? ×

Fender JV Squier '57 Precision Bass 1983 now SOLD

ash

Sadly I have to sell this on, it was a recent purchase that was a spur of the moment thing and then I saw the potential repair bill for my old synth!
It's a 1983 JV Squier '57 Precision in white with a rolled edge maple neck - as you know these JV models were the first run of Squiers and were/are the ones that shook up Fender USA and made them seriously rethink their production practices. This one is neck and body stamped with the date on the neck. The bass plays and feels fantastic, and is a good weight with no balance issues. The neck is straight and true, trussrod works as it should and frets are in excellent condition, it has the era approriate 'reverse' tuners and strap button behind the headstock. As you can see the bass has had a Seymour Duncan Basslines Jazz pickup installed professionally at some point in the past, the extra pot has been mounted on the non original scratchplate and the output jack to the side. All hardware, P bass pickup, etc. wiring with the exception of the third pot is original (cloth bound) with the original green cap. There are a couple of filled holes and two holes at the bridge where an 'ashtray' cover was mounted. There are minor dings to the body and neck which are typical of a 28 year old working bass (non of this relicing nonsense this bass has been looked after). Because the bass has the additional pickup it's not a collectors piece (these go for daft prices these days if you can find one) but it is a genuine JV Precision and plays at least as good as any USA P I've played. I'm happy to send this within the UK but pickup is preferred. I want to get back what I paid which is a very reasonable 460 GBP. If you need any more info please get in touch, no trades unless you have a Moog Rogue or Moog Little Fatty hanging around spare!

[attachment=80207:IMGP2017.JPG]
[attachment=80212:IMGP2022.JPG]
[attachment=80213:IMGP2024.JPG]
[attachment=80211:IMGP2020.JPG]
[attachment=80210:IMGP2018.JPG]

Edited by ash

[quote name='krispn' post='1235017' date='May 17 2011, 10:30 PM']Is this the one you were thinking about the gold p/g for?

It looks just delightful as it is :) Now if only I had the cash type bump...[/quote]

Yes and then I had to rethink due to my knackered (but truly wonderful) old analog gear!

[quote name='lee650' post='1235426' date='May 18 2011, 11:18 AM']That would make a great companion to my OW JV jazz, these basses are fantastic, and his ones going for a song- bump[/quote]

Yep it sure is a nice one!

Just to answer a few questions - the neck is approximately 43mm at the nut and 64mm at the body pocket, the neck is quite shallow and even up the scale. It's very playable and the laquer has ambered nicely with age, it's great to play and deserves [i]to[/i] be played. The markings are all there on the neck and pocket and yes the finish is original. It has two raised pole pieces at the 'A' string and there are metal plates (brass/copper?) under the Precision pickup. The link will show examples of these basses.....
[url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvprecisionbass.htm"]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvprecisionbass.htm[/url]

[quote name='ash' post='1236457' date='May 18 2011, 11:18 PM']Just to answer a few questions - the neck is approximately 43mm at the nut and 64mm at the body pocket, the neck is quite shallow and even up the scale. It's very playable and the laquer has ambered nicely with age, it's great to play and deserves [i]to[/i] be played. The markings are all there on the neck and pocket and yes the finish is original. It has two raised pole pieces at the 'A' string and there are metal plates (brass/copper?) under the Precision pickup. The link will show examples of these basses.....
[url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvprecisionbass.htm"]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvprecisionbass.htm[/url][/quote]

If the neck on this is anything like the neck on mine, it'll be fantastic to play. I've never played a better P Bass than an early JV, and this one is a bargain. Someone grab it before I do something stupid! :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1237524' date='May 19 2011, 10:35 PM']how is this still here?
How does it sound with both pups full on?[/quote]

Classic PJ, a really punchy sound with the best of both worlds ie plenty of growl but with an articulate mid range thanks to the SD Jazz pup, the tone control has an incredible range for a passive bass.