Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Strings...

Wan

Hi Guys,

Just bought a Double Bass and was wondering what the best strings would be for a beginner who wants to play Jazz ??
I'm a professional electric player so its important to me that i don't wreck my hands so I'm looking for an easy ride regarding keeping those fingers safe and sound.

Thanks Peeps.....

Innovation Silver Slaps are well priced, as far as as DB strings go, easy on the fingers (low tension, gut alike) and sound good to my ears. My favourites. Only for piezo pickups ( not magnetic pickups) though as they contain no metal.

The standard jazz strings are Thomastik Spirocore (weich/soft). They're not cheap but they are ubiquitous and they last for ages. If it's a jazz gig you'll be chasing then they should be the first set you try.

Of course plenty of famous jazz bassists have made their sound with other strings, and if you've got a particular player you're trying to emulate you should say so and no doubt you will find out what they used, but if not spirocores are your safest bet.

I'd agree, for any kind of jazz, other than old swing or trad jazz, try Spirocores first. The Weich (soft) gauge will be easier on the hands, Mittel (medium) are a bit stiffer. Even if you decide further down the line that you want to try something else, you'll have a good reference point to go from, since pretty much every jazz bassist is familiar with them.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1232682' date='May 16 2011, 07:42 AM']I'd agree, for any kind of jazz, other than old swing or trad jazz, try Spirocores first. The Weich (soft) gauge will be easier on the hands, Mittel (medium) are a bit stiffer. Even if you decide further down the line that you want to try something else, you'll have a good reference point to go from, since pretty much every jazz bassist is familiar with them.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Wan' post='1232245' date='May 15 2011, 05:58 PM']Hi Guys,

Just bought a Double Bass and was wondering what the best strings would be for a beginner who wants to play Jazz ??
I'm a professional electric player so its important to me that i don't wreck my hands so I'm looking for an easy ride regarding keeping those fingers safe and sound.

Thanks Peeps.....[/quote]

Don't forget to look at having a few lessons to make sure your technique is correct. You can end up hurting yourself, even if the strings are easy to play.

[quote name='guyl' post='1232544' date='May 15 2011, 10:45 PM']Yes the Corellis are quite easy to play, although I personally felt that the tradeoff its that they don't have such a deep growly sound as most Jazzers prefer.[/quote]

+1

used to really like the corellis bar the slight issue mentioned by guyl.

The string i now use on all my uprights is the obligato solo set. great pizz and arco sound (though not for tanking it with a bow, or you'll throttle the note) and soft on the hands.

For those who don't know, the solo set is designed to be tuned a tone higher than normal - A,E,B,F sharp (often used for playing classical double bass concertos) so the idea is that when you tune it to concert pitch it's got a low tension. Try tuning your bass F,C,G,D and you'll get a rough idea of the tension.

I promise that you'll love them! :)