Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spector Euro 5 at Sound Control Glasgow

dub_junkie

I was up at Sound Control Glasgow city centre this morning putting a guitar into Jimmy Egypt for repair.With that done I walked the few yards to the bass dept and hey presto! they had a couple of specials on Spector basses today with a further 10% knocked off.

I therefore couldn't resist a new thru neck Euro 5 maple top in a green stain high gloss finish (would have loved black cherry but it was at least a couple of hundred more).I paid a deposit on it today and pick it up Tuesday.Paul the bass guy was trying to get me a gig bag too till his supvr no-no'd that one. do they come with Spector bags?

I'm not sure whether its an LX (no green stain listed on their website) or an older one.probably an ex demo that didnt shift on account of the colour as it was maple front and back and I couldnt see any laminate lines on the side,I didnt ask whether it was a tone pump circuit,I didnt even have time to plug it in as I was meeting the other half and didnt want her coming in downstairs and me buying another Spector lol... it was spotless and played fantastic acoustically which was enough to seal the deal....just cant wait to get it home now.

anyone got an idea about which version it is exactly?

btw never really knew what to think of buck-eye burled/spalted tops till I saw a couple today - they were absolutely gorgeous and stood out a mile.

I actually thought how the word Spector would attract cetera to this thread when I was posting it. I'm sure he'll maybe can help.

Knew I should have spent a bit more time chatting with Paul at SC about the bass (always liked that guy working at the
city centre shop - I'm glad he's back again)..... her who is my girlfriend was hovering around between the PA downstairs and the acoustics upstairs. (she sings and plays) so the deal was done in like 60 seconds.

it looks much the same as my other spector 5, but glossy and maybe not so beautifully figured front and back. I just saw the thru neck,gave it a quick play and paid a deposit

sorry no pics till I pick it up..didnt even think to take one with my phone

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='141582' date='Feb 16 2008, 03:09 PM']I was up at Sound Control Glasgow city centre this morning putting a guitar into Jimmy Egypt for repair.With that done I walked the few yards to the bass dept and hey presto! they had a couple of specials on Spector basses today with a further 10% knocked off.

I therefore couldn't resist a new thru neck Euro 5 maple top in a green stain high gloss finish (would have loved black cherry but it was at least a couple of hundred more).I paid a deposit on it today and pick it up Tuesday.Paul the bass guy was trying to get me a gig bag too till his supvr no-no'd that one. do they come with Spector bags?

I'm not sure whether its an LX (no green stain listed on their website) or an older one.probably an ex demo that didnt shift on account of the colour as it was maple front and back and I couldnt see any laminate lines on the side,I didnt ask whether it was a tone pump circuit,I didnt even have time to plug it in as I was meeting the other half and didnt want her coming in downstairs and me buying another Spector lol... it was spotless and played fantastic acoustically which was enough to seal the deal....just cant wait to get it home now.

anyone got an idea about which version it is exactly?

btw never really knew what to think of buck-eye burled/spalted tops till I saw a couple today - they were absolutely gorgeous and stood out a mile.[/quote]

Sounds like you got yourself a normal Spector Euro, LX's are in a natural finish, and it most likely has the tonepump as opposed to ob-1 pre-amp, t's just a case of having a look in the nest. Enjoy it man but a head's up on the TP, it's a beast that needs taming but other than that they're great basses and I can't wait to get another one.

Edited by Josh

I'm the proud owner of a Spector Euro LX in a natural finish which I bought from a BCer. Truly stunning basses if a little hard to control at times as the pickups are beasts. The only thing that bugs me is that a bass of this quality should come with a hard case as standard. It sounds like the boss at SC Glasgow was being a bit of a dick for not letting the salesman throw in a gig bag, it's the very least they could do for such a quality instrument. But then again that company isn't particularly customer friendly (I've had a bad experience with the Salford store). They should keep an eye on the demise of the Bass Centre and not repeat their mistakes.

With all these cheap flights to Prague I often wonder if it'd be doable to fly over there and buy my next Spector (spalted maple 5 string) from a Czech dealer.

I'n no expert but I have a CRFM5 Spector in natural satin finish.

Before the LX, the body wings were solid maple. Mine had an Aguilar OB-1. These were later changed to the Tonepump. I now have a U Retro in mine and it is so good sounding I sometimes need to change my boxers. :) I think mine dates to around 2000.

I have seen that green colour and it's stunning. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Frank

cheers fellas - straight Euro 5 will do nicely!

this week I was going to post up here on BC asking for suggestions for a 35" scale length/16-17mm bridge spacing alternative to my NS5 CRFM but as soon as I saw the green one today I felt 100% sure this bass will be as inspiring to own and play as the one I already own and adore.

re the lack of gig bag and the apparent lack of willingness to supply one (dont get me wrong,the sales gassistant was off digging one out for me at the time).........if I was to spill the beans how much I got this bass for you wouldnt blame them :)

but still,the Tribute G&Ls come with exactly the same bag for free. The bag is on the Spector website for 80 dollars which will probably mean 80 quid.meanies lol

[quote name='The Burpster' post='141612' date='Feb 16 2008, 04:11 PM']If you PM cetera, its probably the only one he hasnt got ...... :)

he will probably be able to tell you which employee made it.....

He does like his Spectors! ;)[/quote]

It's OK! Don't panic Mr Mainwaring I'm here!! :D ;) ;)

Yep, you've got yourself a lovely Spector Euro (also known as an NS2CR/FM). It's likely got the Spector Tonepump preamp in it which is ALL boost (i.e. flat is in the zero position) but if it's been in their stock for a while it could possibly have a lovely Aguilar preamp in it....
The tonepump is quite a beast and takes some taming but gives an amazing array of sounds :huh:

I can't tell you [i]exactly[/i] which employee made it.... but it would have been overseen by 'Petr' ;) :huh:

Enjoy!

Got it home - its solid maple wings and has an earlier serial than the natural oil one, on the Sound Control label on the backplate it says "SPECTOR EURO 5 GREEN STAIN LX"
I've taken a pic of the control cavity. it looks exactly the same as the other one inside. from my blurry picture,can anyone tell me which pre amp it is?

it's a superb bass.

cheers

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='143238' date='Feb 19 2008, 05:29 PM']Got it home - its solid maple wings and has an earlier serial than the natural oil one, on the Sound Control label on the backplate it says "SPECTOR EURO 5 GREEN STAIN LX"
I've taken a pic of the control cavity. it looks exactly the same as the other one inside. from my blurry picture,can anyone tell me which pre amp it is?

it's a superb bass.

cheers

[/quote]

A Spector Tone pump it is! Otherwise it would have Agular OB-1 written on it :)