Why become a member? ×

A Labour Of Love

Bilbo

As some of you will know, my double bass has been poorly for a month or so and I am picking it up from the luthier's tomorrow. In the intervening period, I decided I would do something I have wanted to do for years but have never had the time. I have several trasncriptions of John Coltrane's saxophone parts on his legendary LP 'A Love Supreme' but they were all Bb parts. I have wanted to put them into bass clef for as long as I can remember having them and have never got around to it. Well, this month 'off' has provided the opportunity to do it at last. So, here is a bass clef version of Coltrane's saxophone playing on what is arguably one of the greatest and most influential jazz albums of all time. The transcription comes in 4 parts; Acknolwdgement, Resolution, Pursuance and Psalm. I have gained so much insight into this piece from the process of transcribing and listening to the album with the charts in front of me has revealed more and more detail about how deep this stuff actually is. I can't begin to explain how intense this stuff is. I am studying it but it feels like its almost a months work every two bars. Anyway, I hope someone finds a use for this. If not, I still win because I am in bass clef heaven!! NOTE this is the saxophone part [b]NOT[/b] the bass part. Some of it is playable on the bass but some is unplayable and more useful for study rather than performance. Some of the saxophone parts are phrased using wierd saxophonic idiosynracies which do not translate to a stringed instrument so I have to acknowledge having claimed at least a little poetic licence at various points in the transcription (mostly in Pursuance).