Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rickenbacker 4003 Replacement Pickups

Who's Who

Hi

Has anyone out there tried any other pickup on a 4003, other than the Rick stock ones?
I have a 2007 Blue Burst 4003 and I find that the output of the pickups seems really weak when compared to my other basses (Jazz Bass and Thunderbird).
They are also fairly inconsistent across the strings, even after a decent set-up.

For this reason I'm not really using the Rick at the minute, and always gig with one of the other two, which just doesn't seem fair on her!!!

Was considering swapping the pickups for something with a bit more beef, like the Seymour Duncan pickups.
If anyone has any experiance of these, or any other type of pickup please let me know as I'd like some opinions before shelling out £170.00.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Who's Who' post='1226431' date='May 10 2011, 05:02 PM']Hi

Has anyone out there tried any other pickup on a 4003, other than the Rick stock ones?
I have a 2007 Blue Burst 4003 and I find that the output of the pickups seems really weak when compared to my other basses (Jazz Bass and Thunderbird).
They are also fairly inconsistent across the strings, even after a decent set-up.

For this reason I'm not really using the Rick at the minute, and always gig with one of the other two, which just doesn't seem fair on her!!!

Was considering swapping the pickups for something with a bit more beef, like the Seymour Duncan pickups.
If anyone has any experiance of these, or any other type of pickup please let me know as I'd like some opinions before shelling out £170.00.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I'm surprised the output is lower than a Jazz (my last Jazz was the opposite). How high are the pickups? I have mine very close to the strings ( I also play lightly). Is there a problem with the bass? Or is it an eq issue? The last thing I've found my Rics is "inconsistent across the strings"; they're arguably the most consistent basses I've played (which is why I use them). Is it just that you're used to the bigger low mids of your other basses?

If not and you were to change anything I'd get them rewound. I've tried Seymours; didn't like em at all. They just lost the Ric tone IMO.

Edited by 4000

A while ago I had 2 4003's, one with SD pickups and one completely stock so I had the chance to A/B them. The SD's made the rick sound too muddy, with none of the lovely trebbly balls that we all love about rickenbackers. If I had to describe them in one word it would be cheap. They sounded cheap. Keep it stock and have a fiddle with your EQ.

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1226484' date='May 10 2011, 05:36 PM']A while ago I had 2 4003's, one with SD pickups and one completely stock so I had the chance to A/B them. The SD's made the rick sound too muddy, with none of the lovely trebbly balls that we all love about rickenbackers. If I had to describe them in one word it would be cheap. They sounded cheap. Keep it stock and have a fiddle with your EQ.[/quote]

Or buy a 4004! :)

Thanks for the advice guys, sadly the 4004's current price tag wouldn't be an option!

Sorry to sound like a complete moron, but what would getting the pickups rewound do exactly. I don't quite understand what that would be, is it a job most guitar tech's can do, any idea how much it would cost.

And any advice on an EQ setting for the bass, and amp to get the Ric sounding better?

Thanks again.

[quote name='Who's Who' post='1226509' date='May 10 2011, 05:59 PM']Thanks for the advice guys, sadly the 4004's current price tag wouldn't be an option!

Sorry to sound like a complete moron, but what would getting the pickups rewound do exactly. I don't quite understand what that would be, is it a job most guitar tech's can do, any idea how much it would cost.

And any advice on an EQ setting for the bass, and amp to get the Ric sounding better?

Thanks again.[/quote]

A rewind is the last option as unless you really know what you're doing, you could end up liking the tone even less. I would play around with PUP height and EQ, and really listen hard and ask you band mates to do the same. It's hard to know what to suggest re EQ as your rig, your preferred sound and your ears will be different to everyone else's. Having said that, I had an old Precision that I never realised was, for whatever reason, really weak sounding on the A-string. I used to have to dig in on the A to get the tone the same. as the other strings This became so automatic that when I played other basses, note on the A-string were always punching through. The point I'm making is that a whole host of things can influence PUP-string balance other than the PUPs. Perhaps get it to a tech, or even another experienced player, and see what they think also. Good luck either way.

[quote name='Who's Who' post='1226431' date='May 10 2011, 05:02 PM']Hi

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

This sounds very strange, I dare say there may be an underlying pickup issue. I have a Rickenbacker 4003 from 2009 and can tell you that the output is massive, far beyond anything that my other passive basses have to offer. My advice, which seems to be the same as others in the thread is put it in to a shop and have the pickups looked at and possibly rewound if necessary, it should be less than £170 for aftermarket replacements.

I,m surprised to hear about your low output.
I,ve got a 1999 4003 and its louder than a musicman,p-bass with a wizard thumper,meausered at 14k and a t-bird.
Pick ups are not right up either and I,ve got light strings on-30-90 set and it is loud and meaty and really kicks with the vintage circuit.
I use a pre amp DI box-sansamp and hartke bass attack and it sounds great.Amps are set flat-marshall and roland with powered extension.
They do like a bit of gain and some presence and a slight cut in the mids as there is loadsa mids which can sometimes make them muddy.

• 3 weeks later...