Why become a member? ×

Jazz pickups

Monckyman

Just been reading old threads on here about the Wizard 64 and 84 Jazz pickups and would really like to try some on my mim Jazz, but...
I really also want some humbuckers because I can`t live with the buzz every time I roll off a pickup volume.
So, what`s the solution, humbuckering clean goodness like UltraJazz or area Js or the great sounding but still buzzy Wizards?
MM

Thanks for the replies, Gents.
I`m going to be fitting some Nordy SVs from Howard :)
One more thing though, as a long time P bass user, I have a bad habit of rolling the volume pit down between songs or in pauses etc.
Cant do this on the jazz!
Has anyone found a Volume/Balance-mix/Tone configuration useful?
MM

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1220698' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']Thanks for the replies, Gents.
I`m going to be fitting some Nordy SVs from Howard :)[/quote]
I'm sure they'll be lovely. I've been using Fralin split-coils for a while now, which are a similar idea, and they sound great.

[quote name='Shambo' post='1220518' date='May 5 2011, 02:48 AM']Series switch?[/quote]
Done this to my Ibby - works a treat.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1220698' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']One more thing though, as a long time P bass user, I have a bad habit of rolling the volume pit down between songs or in pauses etc.
Cant do this on the jazz!
Has anyone found a Volume/Balance-mix/Tone configuration useful?
MM[/quote]
In series configuration, the Neck pot becomes the master volume and the Bridge pup pot is disconnected. What you get is an increase in overall output, as well as a bump to the mids. Hum goes away too, all you're creating is a really wide humbucker with this config.

Other option could be to look at the Duncan Jazz Classics or Hot Stacks, which are humbucking in a single-coil footprint. Gives you the option of coil-tapping if so inclined

HTH,
Ian

Hello

In my jazz a few years ago I used Bartolini 9J1 pickups - not sure if these are proper humbuckers but they are "split coil construction for hum canceling". Great sounding too.

[url="http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/4st_bass_pu_s.htm"]http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/4st_bass_pu_s.htm[/url]