Why become a member? ×

Think im going to give up bass playing..

bubinga5

Hey BB5,

Some great advice here - I especially agree with Risingson - you are obviously passionate about your music and add a lot of value to this site. I think that your passion is also bound to show through in your playing - perhaps you need this fresh start to reappraise your strengths as well as your weaknesses as a bass player, and after a while, you'll have a more clear idea of what type of thing you want to play.

Out of interest - you mentioned that they said your chordal knowledge was lacking - do you mean that you need to work on playing bass chords, or that you need better chord/scale knowledge in order to create basslines? What kind of band it it - jazz/funk/soul?

A little bit left field but I heard a great statement recently on some online video The guy said there is no such thing as wrong notes - its just sometimes the case your not playing the notes someone elese wants to hear or expected.

I guess that means the band aren't right for you and maybe a band of guys who are more in tune with you would be better....maybe after a short break of a month or two?

If you're in a bit if a dip with it all just walk away for a bit and concentrate on doing the other things you enjoy. Read a book kick back to some cool tunes take up power walking!!

The desire/fun will return, just don't get hung up on it now and when the time is right you can just pick up and boogie :)

[quote name='krispn' post='1215406' date='Apr 29 2011, 11:01 PM']A little bit left field but I heard a great statement recently on some online video The guy said there is no such thing as wrong notes - its just sometimes the case your not playing the notes someone elese wants to hear or expected.[/quote]

Try hitting an F# while everyone else is hitting a C and see how wrong a note can sound... :)

B5, I'd like to suggest learning some more theory. Not how to read, but how scales work. You don't even have to learn the names of the scales but learning them will open your mind up massively & allow you to work out the scale(s) used in a song & you'll know what notes can be used in a song. Sometimes you can play that F# when everyone else is playing a C, it might make a G maj11 or a C add #11 or a dirty look from the rest of the band.

Pack the bass in it's case & pop it in a cupboard for a month & get a keyboard or a guitar & learn it. It'll be fun & you'll gain from it & then you can dig the bass back out & take a different musician's approach to it. I've packed the bass away many times, still my favourite instrument! :)

Have fun with music.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1214791' date='Apr 29 2011, 12:41 PM']Feeling very down at the moment.. just got kicked out of a band.. im thinking lately that im loosing direction with my playing... they said im lacking structure in my playing, and i know what they mean.. ive been thinking it for a while

any advice for a wavering bass player... im thinking i need to start reading.. thats if i dont just give up playing...[/quote]

Dude this kind of stuff should just make you stronger................... your face ain't gonna fit in every band................. just get more determined!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1214791' date='Apr 29 2011, 12:41 PM']Feeling very down at the moment.. just got kicked out of a band.. im thinking lately that im loosing direction with my playing... they said im lacking structure in my playing, and i know what they mean.. ive been thinking it for a while

any advice for a wavering bass player... im thinking i need to start reading.. thats if i dont just give up playing...[/quote]

Think about your anchors pivots and leading tones, they are far more important. Anchors are your root notes, usually on beat one, beats 2 and 3 is your chance to get creative, your pivots (the movement from one chord to the other), four is your lead or bridge to the next chord. Split the notes from quarter to 8th even 16ths if you can get away with it :) . It obviously helps to have knowledge of chords, scales so you don't hit the stinkers. Try learning them you will have this licked pretty quick 'cos you are probably already playing the patterns, as they fit your ears. In the old days people worked this out by ear, they didn't go to music school. There are many ways to get from one change (chord) to the other, as I said people used to work it out. Music used to be far more inventive as a consequence, now i think it has become more 'uniform' . If you think in this way rather than a complete chordal approach your bass playing will become a lot more powerful, as you will put emphasis on 'tension and release' , which is what music is really about. The tension created by moving from the key centre of the song and the release, created by returning to it. Its a very powerful thing which pulls on the listeners soul :) :lol: :D . You are on the right track, just keep going its all part of the journey.......

+1 on the different challenge thing.

I've only ever played in originals bands, and in the last year or two I'd felt I'd hit a bit of a wall in my playing and my playing was (I felt) getting a bit sloppy as a result. So I joined a covers band about four months ago - I figured that learning other people's lines (which is how I taught myself to play in the first place) might help me break through and go somewhere else.

No idea if its worked yet, but its certainly got my chops together as a lot of the time we're learning new stuff a few days before we gig it.

Dunno if this is something that might work for you.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1214821' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:05 PM']B5, I can guarantee that you are a leagues better bass player than me. I can't read, I sit on root notes etc. Your technical ability (whatever it is) is perfectly adequate for many bands, so wave goodbye to this lot and there will be someone else out there in which you will fit in perfectly. Chemistry between band members is more important than ability IMHO[/quote]

Absolutely in agreement.