Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which configurations? Ampeg

MatthewKeys

None.
Either 2 2x10s or 2 1x15s or maybe 2 4x10s if you don't like the look of stacked vertical cabs.

If it has to be one of the bunch above, the 2x10 & the 4x10. That way you're not mixing up speaker sizes.

Edited by xgsjx

I personally don't like to combine drivers without splitting signal.

I like the way the 15 splits really low with high mids
I don't like the 410hlf, seems to do REALLY low, almost boom with a normal 410 sound on top
the 210 gives a lot of punch but not much bass
The 410he is a nice all rounder, more "round" sounding than the rest!

So depends what you're after, personally, with one tone, a 410he with a 210 on top

Sure there will be as many opinions as people though!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1213317' date='Apr 27 2011, 11:16 PM']None.
Either 2 2x10s or 2 1x15s or maybe 2 4x10s if you don't like the look of stacked vertical cabs.

If it has to be one of the bunch above, the 2x10 & the 4x10. That way you're not mixing up speaker sizes.[/quote]

What is wrong with mixing speaker sizes? Sorry i'm not good at this at all haha :)

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='1213318' date='Apr 27 2011, 11:17 PM']I personally don't like to combine drivers without splitting signal.

I like the way the 15 splits really low with high mids
I don't like the 410hlf, seems to do REALLY low, almost boom with a normal 410 sound on top
the 210 gives a lot of punch but not much bass
The 410he is a nice all rounder, more "round" sounding than the rest!

So depends what you're after, personally, with one tone, a 410he with a 210 on top

Sure there will be as many opinions as people though![/quote]

Yeah I have the 410HLF at the moment and it's a horribly boomy and muddy cabinet. Will the 410HE and the 210HE have alot more high end than my current cabinet?

I'd be using an SVT3 pro.

Mixing speakers of different sizes that operate in the same frequencies cause something called combing (where different frequencies are cancelled out or multiplied).
Sometimes it has a positive effect, sometimes a negative effect, there's a lot of things to take into account. Using the same size speakers means you're not going to get random results every gig.

Does it have to be Ampeg? If not then there's loads of better cabs out there.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1213348' date='Apr 27 2011, 11:38 PM']Mixing speakers of different sizes that operate in the same frequencies cause something called combing (where different frequencies are cancelled out or multiplied).
Sometimes it has a positive effect, sometimes a negative effect, there's a lot of things to take into account. Using the same size speakers means you're not going to get random results every gig.

Does it have to be Ampeg? If not then there's loads of better cabs out there.[/quote]

Combing is more of a speakers distance apart thing. Different speakers, I think, is more of a phase issue, they might be moving in different directions in certain points of their travel, which cancels out sound. Plus the sensitivity and power handling differences, which is more of a safety thing, even if you 'like the tone' of mixed speakers, one set might be louder and handle more power, so if the quieter one is struggling and breaking up, you won't hear it and turn down as it is drowned out by the other.

You can mix speaker sizes and if they sound ok they are ok. If they don’t sound good then don’t mix them.

At one time I had all these cabs. The 410 sounded pretty good, the 210 was the best sound and I didn't like the 115. However I know a couple of Ampeg 115 users who sound pretty good, in a very woolly way! So if that’s your sound…

I would go for the 410 and add a 210 if you need the extra. I’d really go for 2 x 210’s but that’s not the question!

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1213291' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:51 PM']Hey there

I was just wondering what is generally more recommended out of the following configurations of the ampeg SVT classic range:

410HE cab with a 210HE

410HE cab with a 115

210HE with a 115

Thanks![/quote]

I'd go 1x15 plus 2x10 for a decent stack height, typically.

I am not sure Ampeg would be my choice of cabs though

I liked my last rig of 1x15 plus 2x10 as it had both cut and depth and am thinking I will go back to it for larger gigs.
It will be more portable than my second choice of 610 in a single cab.

Depending what power you are putting into the cabs, but a 300w 15 and 350w 2x10 makes more sense that a 4x10 plus 2x10 to me... but as long as the cabs can handle the split power then no real problem.

If aesthetics are an issue, the 2x4x10 is good...but carry and transport might be a factor

Hey everyone, thanks for the opinions

@xgsjx well i'd preferably like a matching rig to go with my SVT3 PRO. But what are these other cabs you can recommend?

@chris b, how does the 2x10 sound by itself because if I did get the 210HE and the 410HE i'd be taking the 210 to the occasional small gig and band practices?

Thankss

In terms of Ampeg I have always liked the 6x10 and the 410HLF as a single cab option. The 410HLF is a strange beast though and isn't for everybody.

I use a 2x10 and a 1x15 Trace Elliot stack for most gigs. It works fine and I don't think I am really missing out on anything to be honest. If I was buying again I would probably get two of the same rather than mixing though, since I didn't know of the problems of mixing speaker sizes when I bought them. So two 1x15s would do it! More likely I would get a good 4x10 and gig with that.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1213399' date='Apr 28 2011, 12:44 AM']I'd go 1x15 plus 2x10 for a decent stack height, typically.

I am not sure Ampeg would be my choice of cabs though

I liked my last rig of 1x15 plus 2x10 as it had both cut and depth and am thinking I will go back to it for larger gigs.
It will be more portable than my second choice of 610 in a single cab.

Depending what power you are putting into the cabs, but a 300w 15 and 350w 2x10 makes more sense that a 4x10 plus 2x10 to me... but as long as the cabs can handle the split power then no real problem.

If aesthetics are an issue, the 2x4x10 is good...but carry and transport might be a factor[/quote]

Transport would not really be an issue. Would it be okay to use a 450watt (svt3 pro) head to power a 410 and a 210? I think the 210's are only 200 watts at 8 ohms and the 410 is 500watts at 8ohms.

[quote name='jetofuj' post='1213401' date='Apr 28 2011, 12:45 AM']Running two 2x10 might not have enough bottom end.

I know few guys running 1x15 + 2x10 with 3 Pros with good results.

If money is not a big problem, I'd look for a quality 2x12 cab like Aguilar DB.[/quote]

Money could be a bit of an issue! I'm looking to spend around £500 or less for used.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1213408' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:04 AM']If you are doing the 2x10 + 4x10, try and get matching ones with the same speakers, and the 2x10 double the impedance of the 4x10, so when used together, each individual speakers gets the same power.[/quote]

sorry? :)

Confused! How would I go about doing that?

I'm another lover of the 6x10, it's front ported and has a tweeter so it works well for more modern styles, but still has the ampeg sound that I love. Almost considered getting rid of my current rig for one!

Thankfully I played a gig with my own gear and remembered why i love Markbass so much :)

was kind of hoping you wouldn't ask, explaining is hard when tired. Basically, if you think of a 8 ohm 4x10 with 8 ohm speakers, it will be wired as two 16 ohm 2x10s in one box, so when you add a third 16 ohm 2x10, all three are the same, thus power distributes evenly. If you have an 8 ohm 2x10 and an 8 ohm 4x10, both complete cabinets will get an equal amount of power, so the 2x10 will be getting twice as much power per speaker than the 4x10, so it will be struggling whilst the 4x10 is coasting and drowning the struggling sounds out.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1213411' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:11 AM']was kind of hoping you wouldn't ask, explaining is hard when tired. Basically, if you think of a 8 ohm 4x10 with 8 ohm speakers, it will be wired as two 16 ohm 2x10s in one box, so when you add a third 16 ohm 2x10, all three are the same, thus power distributes evenly. If you have an 8 ohm 2x10 and an 8 ohm 4x10, both complete cabinets will get an equal amount of power, so the 2x10 will be getting twice as much power per speaker than the 4x10, so it will be struggling whilst the 4x10 is coasting and drowning the struggling sounds out.[/quote]

Right yea I think I know what you mean. But how do would you fix that problem?

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1213406' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:02 AM']Transport would not really be an issue. Would it be okay to use a 450watt (svt3 pro) head to power a 410 and a 210? I think the 210's are only 200 watts at 8 ohms and the 410 is 500watts at 8ohms.

Money could be a bit of an issue! I'm looking to spend around £500 or less for used.[/quote]

In view of this..then maybe a 610 is the better bet.

In days gone past, I never liked the Ampeg chassis' and they were low powered. Depending on your POV..this was Ampeg being conservative OR other makers being OTT with cab power ratings. It could have been that I was using tired old hired-in rigs most of the time which probably didn't help with my observations

A 610 is going to be around 600w hopefully ...and that will easily cope with a 450w amp..but you'd need the 610 to be 4 ohms to to get that sort of power.
Getting a 210 AND a 410 for that budget might be hard...

[quote name='JTUK' post='1213416' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:28 AM']In view of this..then maybe a 610 is the better bet.

In days gone past, I never liked the Ampeg chassis' and they were low powered. Depending on your POV..this was Ampeg being conservative OR other makers being OTT with cab power ratings. It could have been that I was using tired old hired-in rigs most of the time which probably didn't help with my observations

A 610 is going to be around 600w hopefully ...and that will easily cope with a 450w amp..but you'd need the 610 to be 4 ohms to to get that sort of power.
Getting a 210 AND a 410 for that budget might be hard...[/quote]

One of the reasons I was thinking of the idea of getting two separate cabs was to take the smaller one to band practise instead of having to lug around a big 610; but then at gigs use the 410 and 210.

I've seen 210s go for around 200-250 in the past and 410HE's go for around 250. Might have to exceed £500 by a bit but it shouldn't be a lot over :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1213418' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:31 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133266"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133266[/url]

???????[/quote]

haha that's tempting! But I really didn't get along with the 410HLF, and i'm guessing the 610HLF is kind of similar because they are both ported?

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1213421' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:34 AM']haha that's tempting! But I really didn't get along with the 410HLF, and i'm guessing the 610HLF is kind of similar because they are both ported?[/quote]

I had the front off a 610 the other day and it was indeed ported.

I like the 210 and 115 idea as they fit is cars easily..and a 210 is ok for quiet rehearsals, IMO.
The 15" on its on would be no good for me...but paired with a 210 would be my goal

This is all subject to you hearing them though.

I am currently looking at a 210/115 rig to supplement my 2x112 rig.
Would love a 610..and have no worries about ported myself.