Why become a member? ×

Downgrading from a MarkBass rig?

TRBboy

I have a need to free up some cash at the moment, but I don't really have any basses that are surplus to requirements so I'm eyeing up my MarkBass rig.

It is perfect for me, although perhaps a little overkill as I rarely do anything more than pub gigs (and the occasional function) these days. I would want a similar sort of set up but cheaper, although it does depend what I could get for the MarkBass and how much the new rig would cost as to whether it's worth doing or not.

Does anyone know what it would be worth? I've got the CMD102P combo and Traveller 115 cab.

I like the mix of 10's and a 15", and I would want a silmilar amount of power. The new setup would also need to be lightweight - that is after all why I sold my Trace stack and bought a MarkBass rig!

I was looking at the GK MB210 and 115MBE/400 cab online today - looks pretty good for the money - any opinions?

I should just add that I am a rock player for the most part, and I like a powerful, gutsy sound but with plenty of definition.

Your pearls of wisdom are, as always, greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by TRBboy

Just having a look again at the MB series, and I wonder if I could get away with using just the MB212 on its own? I've never had 12's in a bass rig so I don't know if they'll give me enough depth, or whether I'll miss the 15".

I have used both GK and Markbass recently.

I like the combo 102 at lower levels but am less convinced of it at higher volumes...but still would put it at a much better level than GK, IME.

I think 115 and 210 is a good can config and am also become less enamoured with the lighter set-ups.
I think they can do a very good job but are just lacking when compared to a 115 and 210 and it depends how much you will miss the extra Markbass quality, IMV, over, GK.

I am certain I would MISS it.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1213129' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:55 PM']Just having a look again at the MB series, and I wonder if I could get away with using just the MB212 on its own? I've never had 12's in a bass rig so I don't know if they'll give me enough depth, or whether I'll miss the 15".[/quote]

I run 2 112's ..not GK...and think they do a very very good job. If I had a choice between a 115 and 210 over 2x112 or 2x12 I would only go 12"s on the carry basis alone. The extra weight in the 115/210 sounds better to me on playback of my live recordings. There is just more weight to the sound..and my 12" rig is no slouch getting down to the lows... but the former sound is ...er..weighter, if that makes sense.
Fine lines though, admitedly.

I would have a horn in both rigs though..no doubt.

I think the 102 is a great combo... just not entirely sure it is the set-up on its own for a loud band. If you ran a 15" underneath the 102..it would be.

IF.... you like the amped up sound of the LM series. I prefer a tube in the pre myself, being ultra picky there..but that is the nuance of sounds that we hear.

Some would run the 102 combo in a band situation on its own..but mine was borrowed in so couldn't or didn't risk this.
I am just thinking 300w of bass into 210 cab is asking for quite a bit and IME, not conclusiove one way or another..but I just wouldn't, not with my drummer who is LOUD.

But as an easy carry and a very capable mid sound level solution, I'd look at this combo first

[quote name='chris_b' post='1213178' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:27 PM']You've got 4 basses and one rig!! You can see where I'm going with this....?[/quote]

.....should I have 4 amps? ;-)

Yeah I see where you're heading. I can't sell my Jazz cos it's my go-to, and we've too much history together, the Sandberg is just awesome, and the RBX just isn't worth selling cos I wouldn't get much for it (and I love it!)

I have considered selling my TRB as I don't use it at the moment, but I'm hoping for some gigs with the local soul choir this year, and I'll probably need a 5er.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1213148' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:10 PM']I'm interested what the CMD102P is like, considering letting my LM250 and 115HR go to get one.........sorry for the hijack.[/quote]

It is an awesome amp! I think it stands up pretty well on its own, although if you're playing rock/metal in a reasonable sized club, you'll probably want an extension cab.

I use mine on its own for rehearsals and I never get much above half volume (and we're pretty loud!) But I always get the 15" out for gigs.

Depends what sort of music you play, and what sort of size venues, but it is the most compact but capable combo I've come across yet!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1213256' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:25 PM']I think in terms of quality the MB will slay the GK gear! I'd stick with it.[/quote]

+1.. always win over GK in my eyes.. er ears :-)

Maybe you should look at keeping the amp and changing cabs.. maybe barefaced???

[quote name='algmusic' post='1213272' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:37 PM']+1.. always win over GK in my eyes.. er ears :-)

Maybe you should look at keeping the amp and changing cabs.. maybe barefaced???[/quote]

Well it's a combo, so not really an option unfortunately.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1213283' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:44 PM']Does anyone have any opinions about the TC combo's? Particulary the BG500.[/quote]
My view is that combo's just give you upgrade problems and are too heavy! TC is a very good amp and the cabs are cheap but I'd look for a lightly used second hand rig.

Does anyone know what my MarkBass rig would be worth? It's in very good condition, and is always kept covered when not in use so not even dusty.

I do like the look of the TC BG-500 combo's, but it depends what I could get for my MarkBass as to whether it would be worth doing or not.

The Fender Rumble 350 looks good for the money too, but it might feel like too much of a step down from the MarkBass. Anyone tried one?

I think the combo would be worth around £600, VVGC, but have seen a few here recently stall around that sort of figure...so maybe a tad less in a difficult market.
I don't think this is a reflection on your combo...just difficult times..plus you have the extra cab. I don't know what that might go for.

Haven't used new Fender gear of late... but the BX type combos were not great, IMV so am not sure they have upped their game since.

hi mate i have the mb combo same as yours and think it is the best sound i have ever had i also have the mb 1x15 bass bin and together are awsome but just try the combo on its own you will be suprised i also have a ampeg bass rig a ashdown rigg and a peavey combo and prefer the mb over them all , as far as price for the combo 1 would say at least £600 upwards but think twice before you change your gear as you might be dissapointed as nothing else in my oppinion comes anywhere near the mb gear. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep rocking. cheers mate

• 1 month later...