Why become a member? ×

Hartke Kilo news!!

ern500evo

Sorry Guys, I was just searching to tell you more about the Kilo but Dood has beat me to it. Probably fairer if I let him post his opinion first.

I am sorry I also missed this thread earlier it was not intentional.

First shipment sold out already but more to arrive on Monday!! Hope it is worth the wait for everybody.
Gareth

Edited by HartkeUK

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1319139812' post='1410549']
Perhaps they'll follow this with the Disney marketing thing where they announce that there is inadequate supply and shops have only a few, so we all rush out to buy one quick.
[/quote]

LOL Just saw this after announcing we have sold the first shipment. :) Maybe there is a job at Disney for me! We do have plenty coming in on Monday though so shouldn't have an issue with supply. After waiting so long I am getting about 6 months of stock in one go. :)

Completely agree with comments about the delay. Hopefully this type of thing won't happen again in the future. Apologies on behalf of the UK.

Gareth

[quote name='HartkeUK' timestamp='1319745842' post='1418191']

LOL Just saw this after announcing we have sold the first shipment. :) Maybe there is a job at Disney for me! We do have plenty coming in on Monday though so shouldn't have an issue with supply. After waiting so long I am getting about 6 months of stock in one go. :)

Completely agree with comments about the delay. Hopefully this type of thing won't happen again in the future. Apologies on behalf of the UK.

Gareth
[/quote]

This is the kind of thing that always brings a smile to my face with suppliers. Yourself and TC are prime examples.

Kudos, excellent customer (and non-customer actually) relations. Give yourself a bonus :)

Yep yep Mr Snickers! The council have been round to close the village as it is now too unstable to inhabit :)

I spent a bit of the day today playing with the Kilo and I am honestly very impressed! It would be so easy for me to just write a whole load of BS about how it's the best amp I've ever played through, la dee dah dee dah, but I'll reserve that comment until I have been able to crank it up with a full band. However, in a straight A/B session with my LH1000, it's big smiles! The LH is just an incredible head.. So simple, clean and damn loud - then the Kilo comes along and builds on the reputation with the same great clean tone and then some on top. I'm going to do a proper review, but here's a few things I love so far.. The valve Pre sounds great! And the graphic EQ isn't there to try to make the amp sound good.. I've left it switched off as the three band passive EQ is brilliant - but when engaged it'd make a great 'second channel'. To my ears, the passive EQ is not the same as the LH and I prefer it. I can't tell you if the circuit is the same tone stack I'm afraid, I'd have to ask Larry directly when we chat next. Asked earlier, the distortion sounds like the Attack pedal and no it's not a full on screaming distortion, but does dirty grit amply. The compressor feels good. It's more of a limiter than a sustainer, but set just right it adds a nice bit of control to the huge sound you can get out of the head. I like the shape control and can see that I will more likely use it to add roundness to solo sounds rather than on all the time as my basses really didn't need it. Again another nice 'channel switch' tone option!

I love that the head is true stereo or bridgeable. At 500W per channel down to 2 ohms a side makes things very interesting as it also means that you can bridge down to 4 ohms too for 1000W RMS.. Nice! Speaking of which, Hartke have included Speakon connectors for left, right AND bridged connectors as well as 1/4" sockets. There's the same balance control on the head too so that you can add boost to a mismatched cabinet or, control the volume of one channel being used as say, a monitor for the drummer to hear you.

I've already been asked several times how heavy the head is.. I'm afraid I'm a bloke, I don't have weighing scales in my house!! Lol however, if I had to guess, it's not actually much more than my LH. I'd take a punt at under 18kg, well actually, im pretty sure its gonna be less. but remember, this thing is built for the road. You should see the thickness of the front panel!

I'll get some pics up when I've got them off my camera ! Any questions?

I couldn't resist any longer, i've just ordered one, it'll be running through my Matamp 6x10 at 8ohm's i mailed Hartke & they say they it'll give me 750w through that cab, so i hope it'll be enough to compete with our very enthusiastic guitarist.... :)

I'm looking forward to Dood's review. However, after reading the manual for this, I'm really glad I didn't wait for one since (cough, cough) 2008 when it was announced.

The fact that the passive tonestack doesn't seem to be able to be removed from the signal path would probably irritate me. The fact that the manual says "there is no flat response for these controls" is something that I find most peculiar. A flagship amp with no flat response setting? Weird that. In saying that, for what you're getting for £670 I think it's great value for money. It's not as heavy as I thought it was going to be in that it's as heavy as my HA5500.

I guess only time will tell and reviews will no doubt shed some light on how good/bad/indifferent the amp actually is.

I'll be sure to address your points in my review! :) - Interestingly the 'flat setting' for the EQ in the LH heads is the typically expected 2-10-2 ISH setting for this design of passive tone stack - B-M-T, so it'd seem right that if it is the same or similar circuit, this is where you'd get your 'flat' points from.

Yes, the 'original' design for the Kilo has been hanging around for some considerable time and despite that model never being made, you can see a variant on the face plate control layout on the internet.