Why become a member? ×

Lightweight guitar cabs

Paul S

I was explaining to one of my bands' guitarists about the lightweight cab I have coming - the Barefaced Compact. He is also not getting any younger and is now also keen to go lightweight for his gear and ditch the Marshall half stack. So - does anyone know if there is decent quality guitar cabs out there? I know about Purple Chili - is that good stuff? Anything else?

ta!

Our gtr traded in a lot of boutique gear for a Line valve job which is very light for valves, it also has a decent FX set-up. The transistor equivalent didn't cut it, I think.
He now seems happy enough at the gigs..less so in play-back when we review gig tapes.
From where I am at onstage, the amp sounds great...but..lacks a bit of weight in the sound

This mirrors my thinking about NEO's as well... they sound ok..but when you hear them out front, there is something missing.
I haven't arrived at a definite conclusion, just that there is no substitute for sheer ooompphhhhh and that the bigger heavier boxes seem to do it better.

This is the trade-off with small lighter gear IME.

Edited by JTUK

He could always try the Marshall 1936 cab - it`s a 2x12, but size-wise, is nearly as big as the 4x12, but nowhere near as heavy, and you can get Marshall castors for it as well.

I had the one that came with Celestion G12T-75 speakers, and replaced them with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion Heritage. Major improvement.

Our old guitar player also had one of these, did the same changes, and to my ears sounded better than his Peavey 412, as the sound was more focused.

Thanks for the replies. He is thinking of something sub-20kg for ease of handling in and out of the car, so castors don't help a great deal. So far the only ones I have seen 'off the shelf' are the Purple Chili neo range. Ah well, it's his problem so let him find out what's out there!

Yes, I'd spotted those - the bass versions get some love on here, don't they. No reason why the guitar versions shouldn't be decent. But maybe Alex can sort him out - I have no firm idea what the differences are between bass and guitar cabs, tbh.