Why become a member? ×

I can't hear the d and g string

chrisAngryman

The Stingray does have a strange divide amongst people who try them. We often see this weak G thread but just as often probably more if anything see the "I have been playing a bass X for years and last night borrowed a Ray at a jam and OMG!" type of threads.

As for playing a Ray with a pick see Cliff Williams :) end of debate on that score right there.

[quote name='chrisAngryman' post='1196302' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:15 PM']Hi guys

Not sure if i need some help or am going slightly deaf.

i play a musicman Stingray though a Marshall MB450 and im really struggling to hear anything i play on the D and G strings.
I have adjusted the pick up so that it'shigher to those strings and further away from the low strings but i can't get any clarity.

I don't believe it to be the bass as when i pratice at home I use a tiny peavey and it's crystal clear.

im using the classic side of the amp.

I have a trace elliott equaliser pedal should i try this?

any idea's any help would be great[/quote]

I think this is a Eq issue, I have always found marshall amps and Ashdowns to have a lot of low end poke / power and this is a good thing, (bottom end stuff) not a problem, just cut your low end eq a little leave the rest flat, sound any better?

[quote name='chrisAngryman' post='1196321' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:33 PM']thanks fellas, I didn't realise it was a common problem with stingrays, it's been buging me for a while, i really don't want to change it so i'll try and find a solution i guess[/quote]

It not your bass its the eq of the amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 for setting the EQ flat and working from there - it might not sound as fat on its own but a more or less flat tone generally fits in the mix more evenly than one with boosted bass IME.

I always approach EQing with the assumption that if I'm playing a decent bass, it should sound good with flat EQ - any EQ adjustments should be used as an improvement to that basic tone rather than a huge alteration...IMO. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1197289' date='Apr 12 2011, 08:40 PM']As for playing a Ray with a pick see Cliff Williams :) end of debate on that score right there.[/quote]

Yeah, i wasn't inferring you cant get a good tone with a pick. What i meant was i find playing with fingers seems to produce a thicker tone, with more mid punch.
I could certainly hear a difference playing on the G string with and without a pick but i know that's true of any bass.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1197431' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:10 PM']It not your bass its the eq of the amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

ok chill mate, nearly all stingray owners who also have this issue can't be wrong can they ?

I will try everything like ive said before, theirs no point in me doing this at home as it's only a problem when playing with the band

[quote name='dan670844' post='1197431' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:10 PM']It not your bass its the eq of the amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I've a load of basses here but only have this problem with the 'Ray..... it's the bass not the eq of the amp! :)

If I play anywhere on the G string it lacks any kind of oomph, play the same note on the D string and it sounds great.

(Edit: but adjusting the EQ on the amp might help to ease the problem)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='chrisAngryman' post='1198384' date='Apr 13 2011, 04:30 PM']ok chill mate, nearly all stingray owners who also have this issue can't be wrong can they ?

I will try everything like ive said before, theirs no point in me doing this at home as it's only a problem when playing with the band[/quote]

i wasnt being funny, I had the same problem with that head at a gig with a jazz bass the old channel is nice but its has too much low end just cut it a bit

[quote name='dan670844' post='1198567' date='Apr 13 2011, 07:13 PM']i wasnt being funny, I had the same problem with that head at a gig with a jazz bass the old channel is nice but its has too much low end just cut it a bit[/quote]

Fair enough, maybe it's the bass [b]and[/b] the amp!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1199136' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:32 AM']Fair enough, maybe it's the bass [b]and[/b] the amp![/quote]

Yes I think so as I said I love the sound of the classic chanel on that amp it really is nice, so warm, but i think it loads up the low end a bit to much, well its does on a jazz bass so i guess its true with a ray too. Then you have the ray to contend with el thumpo ha ha. Maybe those little eq pedals could be an option for you with this combo, you could just stomp it in when you use this bass and amp channel.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1199136' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:32 AM']Fair enough, maybe it's the bass [b]and[/b] the amp![/quote]

You do have to look at the overall picture here. Not witstanding that there are issues with Stingray D & G strings for some basses. Mine was so bad live I almost gave up with some songs. In the end the combination of the pup poles being pushed (made an immediate difference) and totally changing the eq on my TE head so as to boost the low mids and ease off the bass and top end I was sorted. Now I get loads of compliments about my live sound and quite a few requests to turn down as I cut through the mix with such ease.

I had this problem too. Switched the Pickup out for a Nordstrand MM4.2 - Problem solved! It's a faithful recreation of a Pre-EB Stingray pickup, and I must say it sounds fantastic! So much so, that as soon as I bought my fretless, I didn't even try it with the stock pickup. I'd bought another pickup before the bass even arrived, and just had it put straight in. No regrets whatsoever :)

[quote name='mep' post='1197280' date='Apr 12 2011, 08:33 PM']Check this posting by Funkgod [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78473&st=20&p=758098&#entry758098"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry758098[/url]

Also boost your low mids. The next thing you know you'll be cutting through that mix like you wouldn't believe it![/quote]

OK, so I whipped the strings off, undid the 3 screws, didn't lose the 4 springs under the pickup, carefully lifted the pickup cover off, and carefully tried pushing the A and D polepieces down with my fingers. They didn't move so I carefully laid the pickup in the routed hole in the body and pressed a polepiece with my thumb and in it went until it met the wood, thus finding the same level as the E and G polepieces. I repeated the process for the other 3, except I put a pick between my thumb and the polepiece so it wouldn't hurt so much, (me being a delicate 20 stone flower :) ).

While the pickup was out I put some 2mm rubber strips between the pickup cover and the pickups to bring it up to the same level as the top of the polepieces, springs back in, screwed the pickup back down and strings back on. Took about 10 minutes to do.

[b]And it's completely fixed the problem[/b], great string to string balance through both my amps and also into the board through headphones as well.

So, a massive thank you to Funkgod and mep for the info, I owe you guys several beers! :)

Edit: Forgot to mention I put the action of the G string back up and dropped the A and the D to where they should be, I previously had them set up to help compensate for the problem.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1199701' date='Apr 14 2011, 06:11 PM']OK, so I whipped the strings off, undid the 3 screws, didn't lose the 4 springs under the pickup, carefully lifted the pickup cover off, and carefully tried pushing the A and D polepieces down with my fingers. They didn't move so I carefully laid the pickup in the routed hole in the body and pressed a polepiece with my thumb and in it went until it met the wood, thus finding the same level as the E and G polepieces. I repeated the process for the other 3, except I put a pick between my thumb and the polepiece so it wouldn't hurt so much, (me being a delicate 20 stone flower :) ).

While the pickup was out I put some 2mm rubber strips between the pickup cover and the pickups to bring it up to the same level as the top of the polepieces, springs back in, screwed the pickup back down and strings back on. Took about 10 minutes to do.

[b]And it's completely fixed the problem[/b], great string to string balance through both my amps and also into the board through headphones as well.

So, a massive thank you to Funkgod and mep for the info, I owe you guys several beers! :lol:

Edit: Forgot to mention I put the action of the G string back up and dropped the A and the D to where they should be, I previously had them set up to help compensate for the problem.[/quote]

Well another satisfied Ray player. I'm pleased to hear it worked out for you. I couldn't believe how easy it was and what a difference it made. Funkgod really got it with that one! :) EBMM should sort out their design for the pups IMO and ship them with the poles flush. It really used to do my head in at times, not just the string difference but catching my fingers on the raised poles at times, which makes you lower the G string end.

So it's not just in the eq as plenty of others have posted! :D

This subject needs a pinned thread as it keeps coming up.

What a lovely looking Ray you have there Fat Rich, and now is sounds the bollox!

I's love to sink a few beers, but due to the distance involved between us I'm just pleased with your success.

I have to agree with fat rich, thanks very much for all the advice, Ive just lower the poles in the same way and it seems to be much brighter, the test will be with a full band.

Also i found a setup on the amp last night that did improve the quality of sound aswell so much happiness all round

Edited by chrisAngryman