Why become a member? ×

stingray pick up output

witterth

I have 2 MM 'rays fretted and fretless
fretless is circa 1990 and fretted circa 2005
the fretted is way louder than the fretless, by a mile, is there something I should know?
oh, BTW 2 band eq fretless and 3 band eq fretted is that the "thing"?
thoughts gentelmen?

Edited by witterth

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1195039' date='Apr 10 2011, 08:46 PM']Pups at the same height?, Battery's both new? , String gauges the same?[/quote]

Check all of the above, the fact that one is a 2x band an the other is a 3x should have no effect on output.

[quote name='stevie' post='1195081' date='Apr 10 2011, 09:23 PM']Wired series is a louder than wired parallel. Whether that applies here, I dinna ken.[/quote]
That's what my money's on.

Which of these looks like you basses pups?

btw stevie : that's an awfae strange accent fur a Dorset boy. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1195186' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:53 PM']That's what my money's on.

Which of these looks like you basses pups?

btw stevie : that's an awfae strange accent fur a Dorset boy. :)[/quote]
Ooh dont know about wires, all sealed in, so how do I check?
and......
stupidly (and obviously) I need to check battries :)
will that make a huge difference though? ( soz to be numb)

[quote name='witterth' post='1195228' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:38 PM']Ooh dont know about wires, all sealed in, so how do I check?[/quote]
You would have to measure the resistance using an meter.

By the way (and please don't think I'm insulting your intelligence here), the first thing I would do here is plug the basses in and tap the polepieces with a small screwdriver to make sure both coils are working. I'm sure you've done that, but might as well mention it just in case.

[quote name='stevie' post='1195415' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:19 AM']You would have to measure the resistance using an meter.

By the way (and please don't think I'm insulting your intelligence here), the first thing I would do here is plug the basses in and tap the polepieces with a small screwdriver to make sure both coils are working. I'm sure you've done that, but might as well mention it just in case.[/quote]
No Ste this is the sort of thing I need to know so thanks!
btw the other thing I wanted to ask is the pick up cover keeps "creeping up " (fretted basss) so I have to screw it back down now and again all seems fine and straight with the neck, so any ideas on that too?

Edited by witterth

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1195346' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:33 AM']I think its only the pikey versions that have the pups wired in series :lol:[/quote] Why I oughta!

[quote name='witterth' post='1195228' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:38 PM']Ooh dont know about wires, all sealed in, so how do I check?
and......
stupidly (and obviously) I need to check battries :)
will that make a huge difference though? ( soz to be numb)[/quote]
Take your strings off then unscrew the 3 screws holding in your pup.
Be careful when lifting the pickup out as some pups can drop out when you lift it out (I mean the the inner bit - the black bit you see is just a cover). It's no biggy, just a pain, don't be scared.

I doubt it is a battery issue as the volume doesn't tend to drop in the MM circuit, the tone quality suffers instead.

[quote name='stevie' post='1195420' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:21 AM']I may live in god's little acre now, but I've been around.... I've read the Sunday Post. :)[/quote]
Oor Wullie is still my fav. :D

[quote name='witterth' post='1195434' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:32 AM']No Ste this is the sort of thing I need to know so thanks!
btw the other thing I wanted to ask is the pick up cover keeps "creeping up " (fretted basss) so I have to screw it back down now and again all seems fine and straight with the neck, so any ideas on that too?[/quote]
This is a little worrying, it sounds like the holes for your screws are stripped - again, whip out the pup and investigate and report back.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1195589' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:24 PM']Oor Wullie is still my fav. :)[/quote]
Do you realize that the vast majority of forum members don't have a clue what you're talking about and are now googling madly? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1195039' date='Apr 10 2011, 08:46 PM']All Alnico's on Rays.

Pups at the same height?, Battery's both new? , String gauges the same? My pre is the same EQ as your 90 and my 2002 is a 3 EQ the same as your 2005 and they have very similar outputs with no adjustments to amp settings when swapping around live so they should be similar too IMO[/quote]

2001 to 2009 were ceramic than after 2009 back to AlNiCo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1196669' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:03 PM']2001 to 2009 were ceramic than after 2009 back to AlNiCo[/quote]

Thought only Ray5's had the AlNiCo to Ceramic to AlNiCo pup switches and Ray 4's had always been AlNiCo. My 2001 and 2006 issues are both AlNiCo.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1196669' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:03 PM']2001 to 2009 were ceramic than after 2009 back to AlNiCo[/quote]
Ray 5's only had ceramic that's why I bought new to get an Alnico one as they are thin on the ground used still so not much choice colour/neck wise.

AFAIK Real Ray 4's are Alnico and parallel wired bar none.