Why become a member? ×

Butterscotch Blonde Beauty in da.... Port! ;)

Grand Wazoo

I've always loved the '51 style P bass, ever since I first picked up this, 36/37 years ago:

[attachment=77082:Angie_1.jpg]

I still have that one.

I didn't have the cash available to get one of the Fender RI's.....

......but I am now due a 25 years long service award at work, and the amount that they give out these days would means that it would only cost me the price of a replacement pickup (if it needs it).

Hmmmm! tempting.

[quote name='arsenic' post='1194310' date='Apr 10 2011, 09:11 AM']I've always loved the '51 style P bass, ever since I first picked up this, 36/37 years ago:

[attachment=77082:Angie_1.jpg]

I still have that one.

I didn't have the cash available to get one of the Fender RI's.....

......but I am now due a 25 years long service award at work, and the amount that they give out these days would means that it would only cost me the price of a replacement pickup (if it needs it).

Hmmmm! tempting.[/quote]

And judging by the time you've held onto the other one, I say you deserve to treat yourself, good on you!

P.s.: yes unfortunately the pickup does need changing on these unless you can put up with a dull sound, I compared it's sound against another Squier with a Lollar in it and it was just two words apart, as I said in a previous post, it's thin, does not give you any definition in the low, you might as well get the E and A strings off as they sound very bland, like elastic bands on a stick.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1194343' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:09 AM']And judging by the time you've held onto the other one, I say you deserve to treat yourself, good on you!

P.s.: yes unfortunately the pickup does need changing on these unless you can put up with a dull sound, I compared it's sound against another Squier with a Lollar in it and it was just two words apart, as I said in a previous post, it's thin, does not give you any definition in the low, you might as well get the E and A strings off as they sound very bland, like elastic bands on a stick.[/quote]

Thats fair enough - I always liked the sound from the SD SCPB's, and at around 50 quid, if that's all I need to pay out, then great.

Cheers for the pitures and mini review style post....it all helps to make a decision.

Edited by arsenic

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1237160' date='May 19 2011, 05:45 PM']Finally got my hands on a 50's CV and in the butterscotch .

I'm sold, Trying to convince the Mrs Fathers day is coming up :) :)

Didn't plug it in, well mainly because from what I've read about the pups there's no point plus they have no amps anywhere like mine. so I can never see the point of putting a bass through a 12" combo when I have an old 15" .

Needed a set up too and I wasn't keen on the strings BUT the neck felt real comfy. Not too far away from my other P but different in the right places.

And for anyone comparing prices it was £329.[/quote]

Yes £329 here too from GuitarGuitar.

Mine is 90% completed, I am just waiting on the the Lindy Fralin pickup from US.

Mods done so far are:

1) Fender 70's reissue reverse machine heads and ferrules.
2) Original bone nut
3) Volume and tone pots replaced with CTS ones,
4) All wiring loom changed with waxed cloth ones
5) Input jack replaced with a Switchkraft
6) Capacitor replaced with a paper oil capacitor for that smooth tone control sweep
7) And finally the pickup and control cavities have been first sprayed with graphite insulating paint, and then screened with copper tape.

Now hurry up USPS mail with this darned pickup!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1239674' date='May 21 2011, 08:28 PM']Are you getting the one thats split ??[/quote]

Yes Johnston, that's the one I am getting as in this link:

[url="http://angela.com/lindyfralinsplitcoilpickupforfender51precisionbass.aspx"]http://angela.com/lindyfralinsplitcoilpick...cisionbass.aspx[/url]

------------------------

mcnach Posted Today, 05:45 PM
What does it look like under that pickguard?

Very tidy if you leave the control plate in place (the one with volume and tone) you can go without pickuguard without unsighlty exposed cavities.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1239726' date='May 21 2011, 09:32 PM']Very tidy if you leave the control plate in place (the one with volume and tone) you can go without pickuguard without unsighlty exposed cavities.[/quote]

aaaargh!!!!

(thank you! :))

credit card is looking at me from the other side of the room doing its "I dare you, I dare you" little dance that we know oh so well :)

Well, I gave it nearly 24h.

So I went and... it's been ordered! (Guitar Guitar)
There was 1 in stock, which made me a little suspicious... it wouldn't be the first time I order something in a shop that turns out not to be in stock.
But after I got the email confirmation I went to search again for the bass and... sure enough the status had changed to "coming soon, 5 available in pre-order". So it looks I should get the bass on Tuesday :)

This forum is really bad for my bank balance!!! :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1240585' date='May 22 2011, 05:54 PM']Well, I gave it nearly 24h.

There was 1 in stock, which made me a little suspicious... it wouldn't be the first time I order something in a shop that turns out not to be in stock.
But after I got the email confirmation I went to search again for the bass and... sure enough the status had changed to "coming soon, 5 available in pre-order". So it looks I should get the bass on Tuesday :lol:

This forum is really bad for my bank balance!!! :)[/quote]
What are you like? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1240593' date='May 22 2011, 06:02 PM']What are you like? :)[/quote]

I'm going to set up the computer so that it only gives me access to BassChat one hour every other day. I didn't *need* all these basses until I joined the forum!!! I was such a happy boy in OLP-land :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1240585' date='May 22 2011, 05:54 PM']Well, I gave it nearly 24h.

But after I got the email confirmation I went to search again for the bass and... sure enough the status had changed to "coming soon, 5 available in pre-order". So it looks I should get the bass on Tuesday :)

This forum is really bad for my bank balance!!! :)[/quote]

Well done, you won't regret it!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1240807' date='May 22 2011, 08:56 PM']What is the bass count looking like with that one now then Jose?[/quote]

don't make me count! :)

let's just say I'm really running out of space, but I'm nowhere near as bad as our guitarist (in RHC) who has lost count and it's >30. And we're not talking Sue Ryders... there are Rickenbacker, Gretsch (inc a 1963 example), Gibsons... He recently also got a roadworn Fender Jazz, I haven't tried that one yet but he has a roadworn Telecaster that's fantastic... I hate to think what I may feel if I try it :)

oh, and that CV 51 P bass is not the only bass I'm expecting this week. I also bought a Squier silver series Jazz from another basschatter. But that one is meant to go to Spain and stay there (well, it's that one or a Cort B4, I haven't made up my mind yet :lol:

Hello, my name is Jose and I am a bassoholic.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1240963' date='May 22 2011, 10:27 PM']Well done, you won't regret it![/quote]

I'll complain to you if I am not satisfied. It's all your fault! :)

So I got a txt a little while ago.

"Your parcel is out for delivery and due to be delivered between 14:33 and 15:33"
I must say I am impressed with this courier, DPD. I never had any company giving me this kind of delivery time estimates. Thumbs up if they deliver.

The question now is... do I escape temporarily from work to be at home -20min away- when the van arrives, or do I just leave it and maybe collect tomorrow from the depot?
what will I do, what will I do?

have a guess
:)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1242728' date='May 24 2011, 11:00 AM']I'll complain to you if I am not satisfied. It's all your fault! :)

So I got a txt a little while ago.

"Your parcel is out for delivery and due to be delivered between 14:33 and 15:33"
I must say I am impressed with this courier, DPD. I never had any company giving me this kind of delivery time estimates. Thumbs up if they deliver.

The question now is... do I escape temporarily from work to be at home -20min away- when the van arrives, or do I just leave it and maybe collect tomorrow from the depot?
what will I do, what will I do?

have a guess
:)[/quote]

They are that good, those couiers they text you and Guitar Guitar will email you before and after delivery.

Really impressed with DPD.
The slot was 14:33-15:33. I arrived at 14:31 and I see a DPD van outside the house... I quickly pull over, and I see the guy at the back of the van and the unmistakeable guitar box...

So I just spent 20min playing the Squier CV50 Precision... It arrived almost perfectly in tune, and with the E string slightly off (a bit too low, some fret buzz even playing gently). A half turn on the saddle screws and it was good enough. I haven't checked intonation properly but it's very useable as is, straight out of the box. My second Squier CV and I'm becoming a fan. These are pretty nice instruments!!!

I removed the pickguard already, and yup, routing for the pickup is pretty neat and it looks good.
The grain shows under the butterscotch finish and it looks like it's a nice one. I don't guarantee that one day, maybe in a month, or a year or 5 years, it may suffer a serious stripping. But not for now.

Sound...
I have never played one of these before. I used to have a Bronco, so I thought it may be in the ballpark. It is and it isn't. Not bad, 'though. Not at all.
I was expecting some disappointing sounds because of GW's comments, but I was not disappointed. Maybe it's like when someone tells you a particular movie is crap... and eventually you watch it expecting the worse, and are able to enjoy it as your expectations were so low.
The low E "farted" a little and I had to bring the pickup down a bit into the body to try to get a balanced sound. It works well enough that I don't feel I have to run away immediately to buy a replacement pickup. But I probably willl get a replacement just to try it. I heard enough reviews that basically say "nice but... put a good pickup in there", so I will have to check it out and see what the're talking about.

My first impression soundwise, once it was a bit more balanced, was "this is BRIGHT". Very bright. By the looks of it it has the same D'Addario EXL170 strings that the CV60 had, which is lucky as they're my usual strings. They're very bright to start with. I was expecting a bit more of a bottom-based tone, but no, lots of treble there. I tried slapping it and... it's actually very nice! Although I had to watch it, because the pickup is a lot closer to the neck than on the Stingray and it's easy to slap too hard (maybe I need to bring the pickup lower still). But it's a nice slap sound. I didn't imagine I'd want to slap this, but there you go!
Turn the tone down, and it mellows. Nice. I turned on the PC, I was playing some reggae last night (Rootz Underground) so I played along to that. Still a bit brighter than I'd choose for this music, but it sounded good and cut through enough, with plenty of bottom end (yet I'd turn it up at the amp a bit).

So... I'm very happy. First impression is excellent.
Looks... that neck is yummy. The yellow tint is very pretty and goes really well with the butterscotch finish. Very very nice.

I have one problem now, 'though.
You see... this bass was destined to have flatwounds on. It was going to be my "reggae" bass, based on what I imagined it'd sound like (and the look). And I think it'll work really well. BUT the sound of those roundwounds is unexpectedly good. I never liked a P-bass with rounds and the tone wide open. But this one is seriously cool. And it slaps well too. It has a powerful "thump".
No, I'm not going to buy another (well, not yet :)) so I'm not sure what to do... restring immediately? or continue with rounds for a while and see?

Oh, why is life so hard? And I have to get back to work!
So many basses and so little time :)

EDIT:
full marks to the couriers: DPD.
Squier also gets a great mark.
Guitar Guitar... not so sure.
Not sure if the bass was on display or something (if it was, it has no marks at all), but it was shipped in a box labelled Squier VM Jaguar. I don't care about the box. The Precision CV60 had a susbtantial box with many inserts etc, this one didn't... but it arrived fine, it's ok. No set up card was found (as photographed by GW and as I found on my CV60 P-bass). No problem. But just before I left the house I decided it could do with a bit more relief so I decided to turn the truss rod a bit. So I grab the allen key and... nothing!
I could not get it to bite. It's dark down there so I could not see what the problem was. There was what looked like a blob of dark... something. Could it be blocking the head of the truss rod nut? Hmmm.
I decided to forget the provided allen key and got my own collection (metric & imperial) out. Tried a couple... and the third one slotted in perectly. Truss rod nut turned 180 degrees.
I guess the VM Jaguar and the CV50 P-bass have different truss rod nuts, eh?
Tut-tut... not very good, Guitar Guitar. But at least you employ a good courier, so I will forgive you this time

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1243042' date='May 24 2011, 03:27 PM']...Sound...
I was expecting some disappointing sounds because of GW's comments[/quote]

Take no notice of what I write, I talk totally out of my (b)ass. Considering 90% of my basses are wonky fretted, you should never trust me, I don't know my (B)ass from my elbow. in fact I know nothing.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1243109' date='May 24 2011, 04:20 PM']Take no notice of what I write, I talk totally out of my (b)ass. Considering 90% of my basses are wonky fretted, you should never trust me, I don't know my (B)ass from my elbow. in fact I know nothing.[/quote]

I admit that the fact you have so many basses with such terrible fretwork made me question your ability to judge basses. But then I thought "well, he seems like a decent kinda guy, and he's a Zappa freak, maybe he is alright after all" :)

Now seriously, really interested to hear what you think about the Lindy Fralin compared to the stock pickup (and the Lollar, *if* you still have that bass around or think you can remember it)