Why become a member? ×

Butterscotch Blonde Beauty in da.... Port! ;)

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Johnston' post='1243130' date='May 24 2011, 04:40 PM']mcnach I hate you.[/quote]

oh, my day is complete and it's not even dark yet! :D

[quote name='Johnston' post='1243130' date='May 24 2011, 04:40 PM']There was me here thinking it's not worth it. I'd need to add the price of a pup and strings etc etc.

Now you are saying I would only need strings.

you swine, you cad.

Now I have to convince the holder of the bank card :) :lol:[/quote]

Oh, you don't even need to change strings! :)
Unless you really don't want roundwounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very busy but I've finally finished this bass.

The pickup is fitted, the wiring is done, as well as a new bone nut and the fitting of original Fender 70's reissue reverse tuners. Now entering my Hall of Fame basses, this plays and sounds better than I expected it to. Proper mustard this one, here are the final touch pictures.

If anyone is doing a project and wants the wiring loom complete with pots and domed knobs, please pm I only want a a fiver for them.

If you want the pickup that will be £25 and I'll take £20 for the machineheads, all prices include free delivery to anywhere in UK excluded N/Ireland

Cheers

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Johnston' post='1264363' date='Jun 10 2011, 08:37 PM']Why? what have we done to you? :lol: :) :)[/quote]

Nothing at all but you try and post a pencil from UK to N/IRL and end up paying 3 times the value of the pencil. It is ridicolous the amount of money UK post offices charge for parcels to N/I I sent a bass there last year and it was incredibly expensive. So I won't post there no more unless clients are willing to pay the postage.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1193626' date='Apr 9 2011, 11:03 AM']Here are a few anorak notes for those who are interested...

Last year, I've bought the same bass, the Lake Placid blue, at a much cheaper price, I've bought it new from Nevada and paid £234. This one I've got from GuitarGuitar and costed me £329, thats £95 dearer than last year's model. Inflation and high oil prices, probably a combination of both but there you go.

[color="red"]I keep a record of all the details of every bass that go through these doors, to use as a future reference to compare basses specs, as in this case, and I recorded the weight of the Lake Placid Blue which has a basswood body at 9.12 lbs / 4.42 Kgs, now this Butterscotch Blonde has a pine body and weighs: 8.12 lbs / 3.96 Kgs that is exactly a pound lighter than the LPB one. Go figure?[/color]

I won't bother you with other details but the other major difference I've noted is in the neck profile, infact that the neck is shallower than the LPB throughout the whole neck length, and the fingerboard radius at the 12th fret on the Butterscotch is 0.04 less deep than the LPB and by being so, it matches the Classic Vibe Precision Fiesta Red instead of the orginal LPB which was slightly deeper and beefier.

I can only assume that this slight shaving of the neck profile has been done so to avoid the bass being neck heavy since the difference in weight between body woods i.e basswood vs. pine is so remarkable.

However this morning playing this bass compared to my other Squier Fiesta Red showed a disappointing comparison, this pickup on the Butterscotch lets it down big time, is thin, lifeless and no matter how you adjust the height, you never get an even sound. Too close to the E string side and it farts, too far and the balance is weak compared to the G and D strings. It's got to go, so I am going to swap it asap with the Lollar because as it is, it's just a joke, a pretend, sounds like crap I am afraid, I had forgotten how bad it was on the LPB, I remember swapping it straight away with a quarter pound Seymour Duncan for a reason, now I know why. Oh well the pickup is the only things that lets it down everything else is a bonus, lighter, more resonant and perfectly put together.[/quote]

I thought the body wood spec was the other way round on these . . . . ie, the spec sheets say the solid colour blue ones are pine and the blonde one is basswood ? . . . .

Just a point of clarification ? . . . I could well be wrong ? . . but it might explain the weight findings ? . . . maybe ? . . . . I thought basswood was a light weight wood (propably a hard wood, but I'm sure I've read its light weight ?) ? ?

Really lovely bass though . . . really nice

:)

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1264441' date='Jun 10 2011, 10:04 PM']I thought the body wood spec was the other way round on these . . . . ie, the spec sheets say the solid colour blue ones are pine and the blonde one is basswood ? . . . .

Just a point of clarification ? . . . I could well be wrong ? . . but it might explain the weight findings ? . . . maybe ? . . . . I thought basswood was a light weight wood (propably a hard wood, but I'm sure I've read its light weight ?) ? ?

Really lovely bass though . . . really nice

:)[/quote]

No my friend if you look at the Squier website it does say (unless they've cocted it up recently) that the LPB is Basswood and the BB is Pine.

Model Name Classic Vibe Precision Bass® ’50s
Model Number 030-3080-(Color #)
Series Classic Vibe Series
Colors (502) Lake Placid Blue, (550) Butterscotch Blonde,
(Gloss Polyester Finish)
Body Basswood on (502), Pine on (550)

Yet this Pine one is 1 pound lighter than the basswood one.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Grant' post='1193014' date='Apr 8 2011, 04:09 PM']Sorry, just seen the related earlier thread...[b]RRP[/b][i][/i] £490 for a Squire???? Sheeeyet! Still want one though...[/quote]

I got one of these about three weeks ago for £UK 299, & it's just as good as everyone says. Let's put this instrument into perspective. It is made in China by Squier, & cost me £299 ! The equivalent US Fender Vintage Reissue would cost .... er £1,400 ?? Someone tell me. This is a perfectly servicable 50s P, Bass which looks great & plays well. It is definately in the 50s vibe & is quite light in weight too.

Tony.

[quote name='Davout' post='1291734' date='Jul 4 2011, 05:03 AM']I got one of these about three weeks ago for £UK 299, & it's just as good as everyone says. Let's put this instrument into perspective. It is made in China by Squier, & cost me £299 ! The equivalent US Fender Vintage Reissue would cost .... er £1,400 ?? Someone tell me. This is a perfectly servicable 50s P, Bass which looks great & plays well. It is definately in the 50s vibe & is quite light in weight too.

Tony.[/quote]

Well as you can see in conclusion I have done a lot of work to improve various aspects of this bass, in short, there is a new real bone nut in place of the plastic one and immediately you could tell the difference before/after. There's a set of reverse tuners as as I prefer them to the original Squiers, there's a Lindy Fralin pickup and all the inners & giblets have been replaced by CTS pots and high grade waxed cloth wires. It costed a bit to have it all done but the result is a bass that equals the quality and performance of much more expensive ones.

Unfortunately I've finished that bass a week before my gf passed away and as you can imagine I had a lot on my mind so everything to do with music has been put on hold for the moment, until myself, our families, the kids in particular come to full terms with our loss.