Why become a member? ×

'Nothing Else Matters' Solo Bass Arrangement

Stuart Clayton

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1285293' date='Jun 28 2011, 02:19 PM']Thanks guys, really glad you have enjoyed this!

Remember, in order to play this all you need is lots of time to practice! Feel free to message me here if you want any help with it. I'm more than happy to talk you through any parts.

Stuart[/quote]

So, bar 1, note 1 :)

Only joking! Stu, I've been working on this for about 4 weeks. I played it so some friends the other night, and they were blown away. Now, it's not often that my playing blows anyone away, so I have to accept that the effect was the result of your having written such an intuitive and musical arrangement, and not my bass skills (I should also mention that, despite having impressed a few friends with my interpretation of your arrangement, I'm a long way off your performance). Thanks again mate

C

Phew !
But Life's too short. I enjoyed playing this at a wedding, but there were four of us. Even working just the bass part out took me long enough, ended up righting it all out so i could argue with confidence with our guitarist, but you don't have that problem.

Well done, no Click track i notice. How often do you reckon on running it through so not to forget it, if you intend to perform it in the future, guess it will need some maintaining. :)

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1285441' date='Jun 28 2011, 05:10 PM']Phew !
But Life's too short. I enjoyed playing this at a wedding, but there were four of us. Even working just the bass part out took me long enough, ended up righting it all out so i could argue with confidence with our guitarist, but you don't have that problem.

Well done, no Click track i notice. How often do you reckon on running it through so not to forget it, if you intend to perform it in the future, guess it will need some maintaining. :)[/quote]

Glad you liked it! You're quite right, pieces like this need a certain amount of maintenance. I have about 1 hour's worth of solo bass material, and would love to play it all live. Problem is, as it's all mentally difficult, it requires a lot of daily practise and maintenance, which I just don't have time to do! Which is why it doesn't happen!

Am practising up my arrangement of Sting's 'Shape of My Heart' at the moment, which I hope to video in the next couple of weeks.

Stu

So much nicer without Metallica lol.

Seriously, that's a beautiful tune and arrangment (and this is from a bass player who reckons that bass solos are the worst type of solo - even from my hero, Israel Cachao Lopez).

I still have your Bass Crash Course: learn bass guitar in 8 weeks. And one day I'll get past week 3 instead of just playing the exercises for fun. :)

Very much love the arrangement of most of the song, though not a fan of your take on the solo, but it's a minor niggle, and I could never do anything like this! Wish I hadn't started to play along to get to the harmonics near the start and realise I don't have sufficient frets on this bass!
Would love to hear that sting arrangement and much more, he is one of the all time greats IMO.