Why become a member? ×

S. F. S.

gary mac

S.F.S.

Sweaty Finger Syndrome.

I'm one of the unfortunates who suffer with this condition. Not just when I'm playing, even now when my hands actually feel cold they are all claggy and damp.

I am always careful to wipe down my bass and strings, but of course the strings very quickly lose their brightness. Now on some numbers it actually sounds good, that jamerson sort of sound (but without the talent).

Anyway, these days I have to pay for my strings and a couple of my basses need re stringing in the very near future.

So looking for advice on which strings you think will retain that brightness and last the longest.

All the best Gary.

Woo! Not just me then.. I can kill strings very quickly in a gig with my li'l paws ;o) - What makes it worse, is I much prefer that zingy new string sound. Yes, I change my strings nearly every gig!

You have a choice.. either buy strings that stay zingy the longest, or change strings more often. I'm in the latter camp at the mo'.

[quote name='metalmaniac' post='136612' date='Feb 8 2008, 03:17 PM']Apparently rubbing alcohol into your hands helps?[/quote]

Not sure.. also heard that Surgical Spirit helps too.. and hardens the skin too. Though I haven't tried either. I used to use an awesome product from the supermarket, manufactured by a deodorant company. - Thing is, I can't remember what it was called. 'Grip' or something. It was in a light blue bottle and was alcohol based. You'd rub a bit of the gel goop into your hands and they would dry out like magic, but leave almost a talc powder sheen to your palms. Would last for a good sets worth of playing too. I think it was mainly for sports types. Basketball etc. OOOOHHH what was it called... um 'Active' or something. I haven't seen any for years now. I think even the deodorants have disappeared off the shelves too.

[quote name='ped' post='136640' date='Feb 8 2008, 03:44 PM']I don't want to annoy anyone but I literally don't sweat. Strings last me ages (Elixirs up to 6 months)

*the room goes quiet and ped slips out*[/quote]

I have heard that sweaty palms can also be controlled by hypnosis too. Though I suspect thats more to do with anxiety control than thrashing out under hot lights!