Why become a member? ×

Eurosceptics are fools.

Alfie

I have just recieved my new [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc23010a.htm"]Rockcase RC23010A[/url] pedal board and I am impressed. Prices cheaper than the UK, with good customer service (I never thought such a thing existed) and delivered to my door within two days of buying... for €10. I can now officially declare that the EU is a good thing, and bring on the Euro!

As for the product- it seems pretty big and sturdy, which was exactly what I am looking for. It may not be as user friendly as a pedaltrain, and the pedals look abit untidy on it, but it does offer great protection for under £50. I also bought one of their [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_bass_koffer_tweed.htm"]tweed hard cases[/url] while I was at it because of the ridiculously cheap price- and that thing seems a bargin now as well. While boths these cases are quite bulky and heavy and I doubt they would survive a BA flight from China, they suit my needs very well (driving down country lanes too fast in a car with a high centre of gravity and a large boot).

So in conclusion... I am never again going to subject myself to the obtuse shop assistants, extortionate prices or limited variety of rubbish British music shops. Hooray!

Thomann are great, and the 3 year guarantee/30 day money-back-if-you-don't-like-the-colour is very reassuring. Not always the cheapest though, do check www.studiospares.com for electronics.

+1 for the EC, yes! I do love travelling round Europe and seeing shut-down border posts.

If we'd joined the Euro when everyone else went single currency our economy would have spun out of control and gone through boom and bust. The economic position now is even more divergent as the UK economy is in a completely different place to the new EU states and having one central bank fix interest rates for all of us would be disastrous.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='135910' date='Feb 7 2008, 06:10 PM']If we'd joined the Euro when everyone else went single currency our economy would have spun out of control and gone through boom and bust. The economic position now is even more divergent as the UK economy is in a completely different place to the new EU states and having one central bank fix interest rates for all of us would be disastrous.

Alex[/quote]
You are Robert Kilroy-Silk and I claim my £5.

Getting back to the start of the thread - Thomann are a cut above for customer service.

They shipped a 32kg Warwick combo from East Germany to the U.K. for six quid- savings £175 on UK prices.
Took 7 days including sourcing the Amp in from Warwick.

My bank actually stopped the card transaction as the transaction showed up as 'stage equipment from East Germany'

A call to the card company and a call to the English speaking contact at Thomann had it sorted quickly - Thomann even provide a named contact for you , including their photo.No recorded messages - dealt with by one named person who could not have been more helpful.

When I found I couldn't get a Warwick cover for the amp I ordered that from them.They kindly contacted me to check it was o.k. - Did I realise they had to charge me £6 postage ? Bless.

I have to say GAK should not be compacent.

Edited by BassBomber414

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='135921' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:27 PM']Getting back to the start of the thread - Thomann are a cut above for customer service.[/quote]
Apologies for attempted off topic humour. Back on it I have had very similar experience with [url="http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start"]these people[/url] the one to one contact the cheap delivery and the fine prices.
GAK have taken an age to deliver and when phoned told me not to expect customer service as they were a cut price online store and really couldn't take the time to speak to me. True story.

Edited by stewblack

As an economics student I am just itching to start writing a MASSIVE debate about the Euro. I am actually pro Euro (will benefit in the long run), but do you know that Britain probably deals more in US Dollars, so if we joined some kind of American Monetary Union, we could probably save even more getting cheap American basses.

Of course, the whole economy will probably go tits up

stuff and nonsense. The reason Thomman are so cheap is because they got a massive EU grant to set up in the former GDR, as indeed did Warwick. And who paid for it - the british taxpayer.

Everything is so expensive in the UK because everything is so expensive. Would you work for former GDR wages? The stuff you order from GAK has to be delivered by vans running on expensive british diesel that is taxed to arseholes to pay for the EU and benefits. The price of diesel affects the price of everything.

As the only european economy based on property ownership the UK will always be out of step with europe.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136064' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:05 PM']stuff and nonsense. The reason Thomman are so cheap is because they got a massive EU grant to set up in the former GDR, as indeed did Warwick. And who paid for it - the british taxpayer.

Everything is so expensive in the UK because everything is so expensive. Would you work for former GDR wages? The stuff you order from GAK has to be delivered by vans running on expensive british diesel that is taxed to arseholes to pay for the EU and benefits. The price of diesel affects the price of everything.

As the only european economy based on property ownership the UK will always be out of step with europe.[/quote]

The difference in the price of goods between Thomann and the UK is neither here nor there. I don't mind paying a little bit more to buy goods from my friendly local store who put themselves out to help you, in fact I want to pay more for that service. But that service does not exist.

The reason I started this thread was not because Thomann is cheap and we get bargins, it is because the experience of shopping with them is far preferable to what I have experienced in the UK. And I don't think EU grants, our taxes or the difference in our economies make German customer service better, it just [i]is [/i] better.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136064' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:05 PM']Everything is so expensive in the UK because everything is so expensive. Would you work for former GDR wages? The stuff you order from GAK has to be delivered by vans running on expensive british diesel that is taxed to arseholes to pay for the EU and benefits. The price of diesel affects the price of everything.[/quote]

Tosh.

I live and work in France, and deal a lot with Germany. If you think the UK is expensive you want to try living here. Or in Germany.

Agreed the price of Diesel effects the price of almost everything, and agreed that is down to high fuel tax. The conclusion that these high taxes are due to the EU and "benefits"(?) however is a little naive.

Britain is NOT a high tax economy. Just try living somewhere else.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136072' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:17 PM']So why does getting great service from Thomman make eurosceptics fools?[/quote]

You're right, eurosceptics are steadfast fools and have been for decades. Getting great service from Thomann doesn't make them fools. Just a little bit more foolish.

I may be a little out of step here but before this turns into a Thomann love fest let me tell you of one of my experiences.

I ordered a Bass from them, got an email acknowledging the order, then another saying it was out of stock but they had an unused display model they would let me have cheaper. I agreed on the basis it was unused and it arrived a week later but had clearly been used. The accessories with it were well worn and scratched, and some cables, power supply and manual were missing too.

I got back to them pointing out the bass had clearly been used and that it was missing the accessories.
They denied these accessories came with the bass even thought I provided links to the manufacturers website and after an exchange of emails with one of their english staff working in germany for them (he was the most unhelpful I have ever found anybody ever), I rang their Management. Their default position was for me to send the bass back , but I needed it for a series of gigs that following week

They promised to resolve the matter but then proceeded to still send me 2 incorrect parts: in the end it took 1 month to fully resolve the issues and they implied I actually damaged the Bass in order to get a further discount.
In the end, out of principle, I wrote to Herr Thomann and did get a further discount.

Before then and since then (well I had to with a 50 euro credit!) I have ordered gear from them with no problems but I dug my feet in on this and was not going to get fobbed off.

Have used Playback-de since with no problems.

When I buy anything I do try and get UK retailers to match European prices: one UK retailer even told me if I bought in Europe the amp would blow up because they used a different voltage....

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Alfie' post='136090' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:44 PM']You're right, eurosceptics are steadfast fools and have been for decades. Getting great service from Thomann doesn't make them fools. Just a little bit more foolish.[/quote]
Sorry boy you are talking out of your arse. British taxpayers like me have been paying all our working lives for the priviledge of supporting the EU - and in my case that is longer than you have been alive. Even the EU's own cooked books, that have not been signed off by an auditor for years cos they are so crooked show that. The good service you get from Thomman, The Gallery, Bass Merchant, Bass Direct, Mansons etc, or the lack of service you get from GAK, Bass Centre, Sound Control etc has got f*** all to do with it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136126' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:31 PM']Sorry boy you are talking out of your arse. British taxpayers like me have been paying all our working lives for the priviledge of supporting the EU - and in my case that is longer than you have been alive. Even the EU's own cooked books, that have not been signed off by an auditor for years cos they are so crooked show that. The good service you get from Thomman, The Gallery, Bass Merchant, Bass Direct, Mansons etc, or the lack of service you get from GAK, Bass Centre, Sound Control etc has got f*** all to do with it.[/quote]

Sorry old man, but if you think that this thread is supposed to be a serious discussion about the pros and cons of European integration, rather than sharing experiences of good purchasing experiences, then I think you have missed the point.

Maybe I will think like you when I have paid taxes for as long as you have, perhaps I shall have all those chips on my shoulder. I shall hope every day that I do not.

musicstore.de have always been pretty good too.

As for the commonly heard complaint that "my taxes go to support the EU ... blah de blah" ...
The UK is PART of the EU. So by your own argument you pay taxes to support ..... just a thought. :huh:

I can assure you that I have a far higher tax burden here in France than those of you in the UK.

The point of this thread was however (I think) to highlight the superior price to service ratio offered (in general) by on-line retailers such as Thomann. And I have to agree.

AND I LIKE SNAILS :)

Edited by barneythedog

[quote name='barneythedog' post='136157' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:07 PM']musicstore.de have always been pretty good too.

As for the commonly heard complaint that "my taxes go to support the EU ... blah de blah" ...
The UK is PART of the EU. So by your own argument you pay taxes to support ..... just a thought. ;)

I can assure you that I have a far higher tax burden here in France than those of you in the UK.

The point of this thread was however (I think) to highlight the superior price to service ratio offered (in general) by on-line retailers such as Thomann. And I have to agree.

[b]AND I LIKE SNAILS[/b] :huh:[/quote]
Barney....you...you...you dog! :)

I also have to sing praises to thomann, musicstore and musik-produktiv - great prices and service (even with my 21% VAT)