Why become a member? ×

Playing with gloves

skej21

Was teaching a private lesson this afternoon and one of my pupils turned up wearing fingerless gloves. It was cold outside, but surely full gloves to keep your hands warm and then take them off when you begin playing would be the 'norm'?

However, she didn't take them off at the start of the lesson and I asked her why she was wearing them, to which she answered with a *shrug*

I've seen quite a few players who either play with fingerless gloves or full gloves and even sometimes wrist-supports.

I understand wrist-support, but as for the variety of gloves, I fell like I've missed something.

Does playing with gloves protect your bass? Does it make you play faster, etc? Does it feel more comfortable? Is it just some new fashion, like sweatbands?

I'd love to know what people think, or if anyone has experiences to share :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1189470' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:54 PM']Was teaching a private lesson this afternoon and one of my pupils turned up wearing fingerless gloves. It was cold outside, but surely full gloves to keep your hands warm and then take them off when you begin playing would be the 'norm'?

However, she didn't take them off at the start of the lesson and I asked her why she was wearing them, to which she answered with a *shrug*

I've seen quite a few players who either play with fingerless gloves or full gloves and even sometimes wrist-supports.

I understand wrist-support, but as for the variety of gloves, I fell like I've missed something.

Does playing with gloves protect your bass? Does it make you play faster, etc? Does it feel more comfortable? Is it just some new fashion, like sweatbands?

I'd love to know what people think, or if anyone has experiences to share :)[/quote]

I think in her case, she's probably wearing them because she thinks it's cool, maybe also the practical reasoning that it will keep her hands warm and muscles perform better when they're warm. I'll wear gloves in the winter before gigs for this reason, but never when I play live.

However, Etienne Mbappe wears silk gloves when he performs. It started when his wife made him wear them in bed (kinky) and evolved into him believing that they made him perform better and made his strings last longer. Check him here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5scoddRycs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5scoddRycs...feature=related[/url]

A very long time ago the "jazz" trio I played with had a regular gig at bar in Portsmouth. It was so cold in there I sometimes used to play in fingerless gloves. It always amazed me that punters would sit and listen while freezing to death. Maybe they were actually frozen to their seats.

Phil

I suffer from cold hands at the best of times. It's a real downer when your fingers are too cold to follow instructions from your brain properly.
A lady fiddle playing friend of mine knitted me some fingerless gloves.
According to my daughters I now look too much like Albert Steptoe.

Scott Devine ( as featured in another thread here) plays in gloves. He explained at the Yorkshire Bass Bash Seminar how through over practicising he has damaged his neurons and he wears gloves to confuse the nerve endings in his fingers otherwise he gets all sorts of involuntary movements of his fingers. Apparently he's one of only a few in the world with this condition.

I may be slightly incorrect in some of the terms I've used but I think the gist of what he said is contained above!

[quote name='risingson' post='1189494' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:13 PM']I think in her case, she's probably wearing them because she thinks it's cool, maybe also the practical reasoning that it will keep her hands warm and muscles perform better when they're warm. I'll wear gloves in the winter before gigs for this reason, but never when I play live.

However, Etienne Mbappe wears silk gloves when he performs. It started when his wife made him wear them in bed (kinky) and evolved into him believing that they made him perform better and made his strings last longer. Check him here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5scoddRycs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5scoddRycs...feature=related[/url][/quote]

MB1. :lol:
....Wearing Silk Gloves makes you perform better in bed? :) :)

There's some interesting stuff coming up in this thread, particularly Scott's reasoning.

My pupil today was not wearing all black, but I have a feeling she may have been wearing them for fashion-related reasons.

MB1, so seem very eager to find out about gloves making you better in bed :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1189562' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:56 PM']There's some interesting stuff coming up in this thread, particularly Scott's reasoning.

My pupil today was not wearing all black, but I have a feeling she may have been wearing them for fashion-related reasons.

MB1, so seem very eager to find out about gloves making you better in bed :)[/quote]

MB1. :)
Silk? Nah! i'll stick to me Marigolds!........Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatron!

[quote name='MB1' post='1189555' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:53 PM']MB1. :lol:
....Wearing Silk Gloves makes you perform better in bed? :) :)[/quote]

Think it had more to do with how much his hands were sweating more than anything too suspect. Also it apparently keeps your hands looking young and to stop 'em drying out.

[quote name='risingson' post='1189583' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:09 PM']Think it had more to do with how much his hands were sweating more than anything too suspect. Also it apparently keeps your hands looking young and to stop 'em drying out.[/quote]

MB1. :)
You wont catch Jason Newstead wearing gloves! apparently he sweats that much he had his Sadowsky basses Waterproofed!

I sometimes where gloves at band practices during the winter as it gets so cold it is almost impossible to play without them (See my old practices spaces from hell thread) but never wore them when there was no need, it's kinda pointless if you ask me, although you can move up and down the neck faster depending on the gloves.

Liam

[quote name='MB1' post='1189742' date='Apr 5 2011, 09:36 PM']MB1. :)
You wont catch Jason Newstead wearing gloves! apparently he sweats that much he had his Sadowsky basses Waterproofed![/quote]

He's so sweaty that he slipped in a puddle of his own sweat at this gig(?)... :)