Why become a member? ×

Quick question - which La Bella flats have black silks?

Clarky

The fretless I bought yesterday has La Bella Deep Talkin flats on it. They are heavier gauge than I am used to but I found I really enjoyed being able to dig in a little harder than I would with, say, TI Flats.

Does anyone know which gauge the black silk-ended ones are, Standard (45-105) or Medium (49-109)? They are not as heavy as the Jamersons and I know the light gauge ones have red silks.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1184404' date='Apr 1 2011, 11:01 AM']The fretless I bought yesterday has La Bella Deep Talkin flats on it. They are heavier gauge than I am used to but I found I really enjoyed being able to dig in a little harder than I would with, say, TI Flats.

Does anyone know which gauge the black silk-ended ones are, Standard (45-105) or Medium (49-109)? They are not as heavy as the Jamersons and I know the light gauge ones have red silks.[/quote]

That'll be the FS which are 45-105.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1184812' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:47 PM']Red silks for the 760FLs and blue for the Jamersons.[/quote]

Do the Jamerson have blue at both ends or just the tuner end Doc, I have a 'mystery set' here :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1184812' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:47 PM']Red silks for the 760FLs and blue for the Jamersons.[/quote]

Are the Jamersons the same as '1954 Oldie Original' Deep Talkin' Bass? Mine are Blue Silks, 52,73,95,110, 0760M.

Cheerz, John

EDIT: @Chris - I can't see any silk at the ball ends on mine but they're strung through body on a badass, but looking down the holes = nada :)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1184994' date='Apr 1 2011, 05:05 PM']1954 Oldies are indeed the same strings as 0760M guage 52 to 110.[/quote]
Yes thanks Howard :) , that's what it says on the packet! But are they the same as Jamersons?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1184993' date='Apr 1 2011, 05:03 PM']Just the tuner end, at the bridge end they are naked.[/quote]

As I suspected Howard, thanks. What do you do when the winding at the bridge end sits badly on the saddle, my E string really doesn't look at all comfortable on the old-style bridge (fine in the new one) and has the tendency to rattle when I give it some?

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1185006' date='Apr 1 2011, 05:17 PM']Yes thanks Howard :) , that's what it says on the packet! But are they the same as Jamersons?[/quote]
Google is your friend :)

"ORIGINAL 1954" FENDER STYLE
(Registered trademark of Fender Musical Instruments, Inc.)
Flat Wound "Jamerson Set"
The 0760 set was used by the legendary James Jamerson on virtually every Motown hit record in the Sixties. Donald "Duck" Dunn used the same strings on countless recordings with Otis Redding and Booker T. & the MG's. They are the fullest and deepest sounding bass strings ever.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1185059' date='Apr 1 2011, 06:13 PM']As I suspected Howard, thanks. What do you do when the winding at the bridge end sits badly on the saddle, my E string really doesn't look at all comfortable on the old-style bridge (fine in the new one) and has the tendency to rattle when I give it some?[/quote]

If this is a problem in respect of the 'rough' part of the winding sitting on the saddle, it's a good idea to put some washers ahead of the ball end (that's [i]ball[/i] end) so that the smooth part of the string starts just behind the saddle.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1185172' date='Apr 1 2011, 07:39 PM']If this is a problem in respect of the 'rough' part of the winding sitting on the saddle, it's a good idea to put some washers ahead of the ball end (that's [i]ball[/i] end) so that the smooth part of the string starts just behind the saddle.[/quote]

I bow to your wisdom Howard

Cheers mate

C