Why become a member? ×

Valve power amps

Finbar

Just running through a few ideas for some new rig options, and one of them is involving using an HD500 at my feet as a selection of preamps, pushing a power amp. Ideally I'd like a valve power section though, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in terms of the choice of what's out there. There seems to be a plethora of stuff about for guitar, but I'm under the impression that stuff you want to run bass through should have better/bigger transformers and stuff?

I'll be using it for super clean stuff, dirty crunchy stuff, and probably some more subby stuff too. So I guess the only criteria are it has to be good quality and loud enough to gig with. Price is negotiable, but I'm looking for something in a reasonable price bracket. The Aguilar DB728 is probably too much for me, for instance, while a second hand Mesa Strategy would be justifiable probably. Don't want to break the bank! I'll probably only ever be using it with one channel, so I'm not bothered about the capability to push out kW of power at 2 ohms or anything ;p

I know about the Strategy, but not too much else. Anyone got any idea what else is available?

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1184049' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:49 PM']No preamp is a bunch less work and complication, so it might be a chunk cheaper than a full on bass amp.[/quote]

Materials wise not having a preamp doesn't save much money you still need a phase splitter etc so you'll only be saving on one valve section.

[quote name='umph' post='1184137' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:16 AM']Materials wise not having a preamp doesn't save much money you still need a phase splitter etc so you'll only be saving on one valve section.[/quote]

Yep had this discussion with Matamp, they still need to build something in there to feed into the power section so it still has a pre of sorts just not a full one. They said to me it would be easier to just add an input on the back that bypassed the eq and allowed for a slave in as it wouldn't require anymore R&D.

Just a spanner in the spokes about old valve amps. I don't know about new Matamps but old valve amps, in my experience, do not have the frequency spread that we're used to with modern amps. When I used to use them for bass there was no real deep tone in there but what we'd now call low mid. It was only in the 80s when I tried Trace that I realised this deepness existed. Nowadays any good bass amp will give that output but years ago it was different (even tranny amps). I never afforded Ampeg/Musicman etc so these may be different.

This might be to do with preamp voicing and/or better speakers rather than power amp response but just a thought. Its not to say valve amps don't sound great, how I'd love one, but I'd want to try it out first.

The suggestion of a Matamp with a 'slave in' socket is a good one, if you didn't want to use your pre for any reason just plug into the Matamp pre as usual.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1187491' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:32 AM']Just a spanner in the spokes about old valve amps. I don't know about new Matamps but old valve amps, in my experience, do not have the frequency spread that we're used to with modern amps. When I used to use them for bass there was no real deep tone in there but what we'd now call low mid. It was only in the 80s when I tried Trace that I realised this deepness existed. Nowadays any good bass amp will give that output but years ago it was different (even tranny amps). I never afforded Ampeg/Musicman etc so these may be different.

This might be to do with preamp voicing and/or better speakers rather than power amp response but just a thought. Its not to say valve amps don't sound great, how I'd love one, but I'd want to try it out first.

The suggestion of a Matamp with a 'slave in' socket is a good one, if you didn't want to use your pre for any reason just plug into the Matamp pre as usual.[/quote]

Think it'll be more to do with the speakers or the amps you used not being that great. Most valve bass amps will cover all the usefull frequencys.

As far as stomp-style preamps, the DHA stuff, and of course the VT bass would be my first choice.
I've used both with my tube slave with good results - and of course you get a nice DI signal too.....

As far as tube power amps...... vintage may be the cheaper (and over-engineered) way to go.

Edited by slave

[quote name='umph' post='1187555' date='Apr 4 2011, 11:15 AM']Think it'll be more to do with the speakers or the amps you used not being that great. Most valve bass amps will cover all the usefull frequencys.[/quote]

Hiwatt and Marshall. The Marshall went via the keyboard player who used it with a graphic heavily boosted to the left to get the bottom but neither were specific bass amps. Selling the Hiwatt was one of the worst decisions of my life, but that's another story.

I certainly agree about the speakers.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1188508' date='Apr 4 2011, 11:31 PM']Hiwatt and Marshall. The Marshall went via the keyboard player who used it with a graphic heavily boosted to the left to get the bottom but neither were specific bass amps. Selling the Hiwatt was one of the worst decisions of my life, but that's another story.

I certainly agree about the speakers.[/quote]

It isn't the speakers and amps individually, it is how they interact. There is all sorts of impedance fun between the output transformer and the cabinet in addition to the frequency responses of both. Marshalls tend towards lacking low due to the preamp design and lightweight transformers, heavily boosting the graphic might have not helped the desired result.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1187491' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:32 AM']Just a spanner in the spokes about old valve amps. I don't know about new Matamps but old valve amps, in my experience, do not have the frequency spread that we're used to with modern amps.[/quote]
I have a couple of Burmans that handle a 5 string without struggling. I suspect anything with a partridge transformer would be the same.

• 6 months later...

Preamp pedal like a VT bass will do, or one of the various sansamps and variations on the theme. I have a Sound City Slave 120 to go. serviced by our own Subthumper. Kinda made obsolete by new arrival in the meantime. Needs a little more juice than instrument level, but a hot output on a pedal will do.

We use a Hiwatt DR203 PA amp (6 i/ps..!);it will take just about any pedal or pre-amp, or straight in (active or passive...) with a 6-string fretless. It's clean (4xKT88...) until the roof caves in, and was designed to be used with 4 cabs (has to be tweaked to run a single cab; the designer thought no one cab could handle the o/p...).

[attachment=92598:Hiwa_Camc.jpg]

[attachment=92599:Tom_Warm_Up.jpg]
([i]That's not me,it's my son Tom;I'm the drummer[/i]...)

If you want any significant crunch (even less, distortion...) you will need pedals. There is almost no way to get the valves to bend, without heavy masonry problems. A great deal of this is from the o/p trannie design (yes, Partridge knew how to match it all up in spades...).
There is a 100w version, a bit cheaper, but does not have KT88's.
The bass amp version (with a bass tone stack...), the DR201, is very much desired for that ultimate valve bass amp sound. Some were made after market by converting 200w Hiwatt slave amps; I would be wary of such a conversion, personally, but it has been done correctly now and again.
There are modern equivalents, such as Mesa Boogie, or the Marshall 400, but for my money, the definitive valve bass amp is the Hiwatt.
Just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Dad3353