Why become a member? ×

P Thing Real?

Shambo

Don't know what it is with all the P bass suspicion at the moment but this one's got me wondering. Could I have some opinions please?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-fender-precision-bass-1978-made-usa-/170618425319?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b9a68fe7"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-fender-preci...=item27b9a68fe7[/url]

Mmm, I've got a P of that era and I'm positive it is not a '78 USA.

Read "200[u]8[/u]" MIM or as already mentioned a Squier.

Definately re-badged.

[attachment=75340:78p1.jpg]

[attachment=75338:78P2.jpg]

[attachment=75339:Precision_78.jpg]

The neck would have a skunk stripe, the control knobs are flat on the top
and the head looks like above - plugged.

Not the real deal. :)

Cheers. :)

Didn't think so.

The colour of the neck is what I first noticed, it's far too white and new. Then other parts started to look shonky... headstock decal too close to the edge, no skunk stripe, no plug on the headstock at the end of the trussrod. Just the overall new apperarance.

Thanks guys. I'm getting good at this. *smug*

That's 4 real thing P threads going on at the mo.
Any Mods think it may be worth "Pinning".
I know it's been suggested that these are reported to FEEBay, but there needs to be a very high level of certainty before that happens.
Food for thought I guess.

He bought a bass listed as 'Fender Precision P Bass Guitar USA *REPRODUCTION*' last July. The listing has long since disappeared, so there's no way of knowing if it's the same one, but the bass he's selling certainly fits in the reproduction category.

[quote name='karlfer' post='1170477' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:12 AM']I know it's been suggested that these are reported to FEEBay, but there needs to be a very high level of certainty before that happens.
Food for thought I guess.[/quote]

Yeah, but this is one of the more blatant examples of fraud.

Their reply:

"Hi there please check out item number 140525314096 this is also a vintage fender and has the same truss rod etc also serial number is correct for a fender made in the seventies also check other pictures on the net some necks don't have the skunk stripe and as for the lack of yellowing it has simply not been used much and is in super condition this is the genuine article" - collystar

That other listing is the sunburst 77 P that iconic has asked opinions about today, the one that looks real and well... different from his. I don't really know where to go with this. I don't want a row with him about it and I'm not reporting it to ebay because it's not my concern.

[quote name='uke' post='1172772' date='Mar 22 2011, 11:41 PM']Truss rod adjustment is at the base of the neck on a "genuine" from this period the head should be plugged.[/quote]

thanks for that

1/ when do they go to head end adjustment

2/ ....ohh and from when to when for body end adjustment

...this info would be great be on the Fender timeline

[quote name='iconic' post='1172972' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:35 AM']thanks for that

1/ when do they go to head end adjustment

2/ ....ohh and from when to when for body end adjustment

...this info would be great be on the Fender timeline[/quote]

Added. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this one.

The buyer left negative feedback stating, "the bass was a fake and the seller was unreasonable, but paypal helped me",
to which the seller replied, "cash converters were happy to buy this original 1978 bass, this buyer was wrong".

So look out for a shonky P-bass, coming soon to a cash converters near you...

[quote name='Shambo' post='1224953' date='May 9 2011, 12:00 PM']Just a quick update on this one.

The buyer left negative feedback stating, "the bass was a fake and the seller was unreasonable, but paypal helped me",
to which the seller replied, "cash converters were happy to buy this original 1978 bass, this buyer was wrong".

So look out for a shonky P-bass, coming soon to a cash converters near you...[/quote]

Bet he didn't get £800 for it...