Why become a member? ×

sterling ray 34

TJAS92

Hey fellas,

I've been gassing over a musicman stringray for quite a while now,

and I wanted your opinion on something,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the 'Sterling' musicman ray 34?

does that seem like a good place to start for getting a stingray?

or should I hold out and save abit more money up a decent sub if there knocking around?

and nothing for defo yet as Im still trying to sell my squier vintage modified jazzy b :)

Cheers

TJ

[quote name='Duarte' post='1170277' date='Mar 21 2011, 02:12 AM']For the price of a new SBMM, you could probably get the real deal used... I've picked up decent Stingrays for £400![/quote]
This but I have never seen one as low as £400 Duarte must drink in a dodgy pub next to a music shop :) £600 as a minimum price would be more realistic and will more than likely hold that value indefinitely where we are already seeing used subs being favoured over SBMM's (see ou7shineds post above). A couple of SBMM owners that told me how wrong I am and that they are in some cases better than the real versions I notice theirs have since gone in the FS/FT section :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Ive just bought a new Ray34 Natural for £570 all in and its an absolutly beautiful bass. Build quality is realy good. Cant fault it one bit. Cant compare it to a real ray but Im happy with mine. I doubt if I could get a SH ray for that price in mint condition. Then again I dont do sloppy seconds :)

A

I got an SB14 the other day. Havent used it through the big rig yet. It's great to play and looks the part, and through my practice setup it certainly sounds like an EBMM.

Fit and finish doesnt seem to be quite up there with the US basses from my limited experience with the real thing, I'd say. Little niggles like a few spots in the finish around the headstock, and the bridge not being lined up quite right. For a third of the price of a real one, I still think it's a lot of bass for the money, but on the other hand if you looked at a similarly priced Ibanez I doubt you'd find any flaws of this nature so it's certainly not ideal.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1170301' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:34 AM']This but I have never seen one as low as £400 Duarte must drink in a dodgy pub next to a music shop :) £600 as a minimum price would be more realistic and will more than likely hold that value indefinitely where we are already seeing used subs being favoured over SBMM's (see ou7shineds post above). A couple of SBMM owners that told me how wrong I am and that they are in some cases better than the real versions I notice theirs have since gone in the FS/FT section :)[/quote]
It's all very well to fall in love with a and sing the praises of a brand new SBMM (or any bass for that matter) but time and time again it has been shown that the closest you can get to a 'ray is a SUB (it's about time we got a sticky together). They were built under the same roof, by the same techs with the same parts, only the SUB was a little less refined and the hardware was the same but unbranded to keep the budget down.

If you want the 'ray look get a SBMM. If you want the 'ray sound get the SUB. If you want both get a 'ray.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1170301' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:34 AM']This but I have never seen one as low as £400 Duarte must drink in a dodgy pub next to a music shop :) £600 as a minimum price would be more realistic[/quote]

It's true! eBay is your friend. £450 including shipping...this is one bass I wish I still had!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1170398' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:06 AM']If you want the 'ray look get a SBMM. If you want the 'ray sound get the SUB. If you want both get a 'ray.[/quote]
This. Although, if you change the pickguard on the SUB for a proper Ray one, it'll look the bomb. I always wanted a white one with black p/g, and the black headstock...

Also, the tuner on the Sterling Ray look really weird!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1170301' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:34 AM']A couple of SBMM owners that told me how wrong I am and that they are in some cases better than the real versions I notice theirs have since gone in the FS/FT section :)[/quote]

Well, in my defence it was the neck that forced me to sell mine, and i have tried a "real" SR neck and felt the same, so my decision was not based on my Ray34 itself, rather the stingray neck dimensions. And there have been loads of SR4's for sale in the past year or so.

There are at least two of us on here waiting for the new Ray34 Classics to come out so im sure there will be reviews once we get them.

I dont think i ever said my Ray34 was better than a SR4, but i (and most owners) stand by that these are very good basses in their own right, and cheaper than the real deal so could be seen as a better option if cost and colour are taken in to account, especially if you have wait months for a second hand SR4 to come along in the right colour/price. I do know some owners have rated them above their own SR4's though but ive also read negative reports of SR4's anyway.

One thing i noticed recently was that Thomanns are asking over £800 for a Ray34. My argument has always been based on the Ray34 costing around £540-£570 (Soundslive are still doing the black one for this price) but over £800 is more than a second hand SR4. This might not be their typical selling price in this country but its a lot of money and i would definitely have seconds thoughts before paying this much.

Edited by dave_bass5

I wasn't only talking about you Dave but you were one of them :) there will always be more SR4's for sale as they are made in higher quantitys and since 1984 so I don't see that as anything to go by. As we have said before there are good and bad of each although in real rays it's well known to be rare to be beyond a good setup. A good £650 sh SR4 will always be a better bass than a good SBMM for less than £100 less which you could get for a used EBMM hardcase on eBay often included with real rays if you don't want one. Still the sensible long term option coming from someone who paid top wack for a brand new SR5 last year so don't do as I do, do as I say :)

I know im one of the main culprits so i dont mind. Like i said, now the price has gone up im not so defensive about them.

I do think the new CA's will something special though. Apparently the finish is better, it more closely matches the real Classic and it has the perfect neck for me.

Who knows, only timer will tell but im sure we will cross swords again ;-)

[quote name='Duarte' post='1170412' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:26 AM']Although, if you change the pickguard on the SUB for a proper Ray one, it'll look the bomb.[/quote]

Indeed it does...

Never played one of the SBMMs, I went for my SUB purely because it was an extremely cost-effective (as in < £400) way of getting a feel for a 2EQ 'Ray. I understand the neck profile thing to which Dave refers, for me I love 'Ray necks, can't cope with thinner ones, however one mans pork scratchings are another's deep fried toenail clippings as they say :) . The new SBMM Classics are a great way to get the SLO thinner neck profile with 2EQ, however if you wanna 'Ray, with associated chunky neck, then my £500 would be saved/upgraded to a secondhand US EBMM one at £600-650 ish. Great bang for the buck IMHO.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1171053' date='Mar 21 2011, 06:42 PM']I know im one of the main culprits so i dont mind. Like i said, now the price has gone up im not so defensive about them.

I do think the new CA's will something special though. Apparently the finish is better, it more closely matches the real Classic and it has the perfect neck for me.

Who knows, only timer will tell but im sure we will cross swords again ;-)[/quote]
I'm sure they will mate as long as it's in order for others to gain knowledge it's cool by me :)

[quote name='TJAS92' post='1170245' date='Mar 21 2011, 12:30 AM']Hey fellas,

I've been gassing over a musicman stringray for quite a while now,

and I wanted your opinion on something,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the 'Sterling' musicman ray 34?

does that seem like a good place to start for getting a stingray?

or should I hold out and save abit more money up a decent sub if there knocking around?

and nothing for defo yet as Im still trying to sell my squier vintage modified jazzy b :)

Cheers

TJ[/quote]

I have not tried a Sterling by MM yet, so I don't have first hand experience on the sound & feel. They do look great and probably feel pretty good, but looking at the specs... I'd definitely go for a MM SUB even if it's a little "uglier". That is, if you are after a Stingray experience. If you're not so precious about the Stingray sound, then I'd still go for a SUB, because I think the black one looks really cool (once you replace the naff pickguard :))

or looking at the price of a new Sterling by MM... if you're having thayt kind of budget.. get a second hand Stingray.
I paid £695 for mine (see avatar) in totally mint condition including MM hardcase just last September. I've seen "new" guitars in a shop with more fingerprints than my second hand one :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Duarte' post='1170412' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:26 AM']It's true! eBay is your friend. £450 including shipping...this is one bass I wish I still had!

This. Although, if you change the pickguard on the SUB for a proper Ray one, it'll look the bomb. I always wanted a white one with black p/g, and the black headstock...

Also, the tuner on the Sterling Ray look really weird![/quote]
That's really nice! Great era of Ray but I think the fretless values are a bit random compared to fretted ones, That bass with frets would be £800-1000 now as we have seen a bit of demand for them and quite right too IMO.