Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mag 810 Deep

andy67

Ashdown MAG 810 deep review
Best price: Soundslive £329 – www.soundslive.co.uk

This is possibly the first review I have ever done, so here we go!

[b]I’ll start with the build quality.[/b]

As I don’t know the precise build quality I will assume, bearing in mind that it is quite cheap, manufactured in China and I can’t get the specification from the Ashdown site, the cabinet is made from 18mm MDF covered with a thin layer of fairly tough carpet. The cab has four strong moulded plastic and metal recessed handles, two on the side, slightly above middle, and two on the back around where Ampeg has its pull bar. These handles are comfortable, sturdy and present no issues when moving the cab. Connections are: standard jack and speakon. The grill is metal and lacks a bit of finesse, black in colour with a riveted on Ashdown badge, badly screwed on leaving peaks and troughs in the metal. Wheels on the cab are ok – work well but we shall see how long this lasts!

I hate the plastic corner pieces - cheap and very nasty!

This is a smallish cab for an 810, not overly heavy, but heavy nonetheless, I was able to get it out of the house manoeuvring it easily into the back of my Vauxhall Vectra – back seats down – both in and out! It took two of us minutes lifting it up four flights of stairs to our practice room without feeling overly knackered!!

According to technical staff at Ashdown; all bass cabs and combos are fitted with BlueLine speakers.

[b]Sound Quality[/b]

Very surprising...Now that I have identified the issue with my Trace V4 and have compensated for it, the cab worked incredibly well!

It is very punchy having enough low end to keep those in the depths of bass happy. Highs are crisp and clear, middle frequencies are definable and give plenty of scope in order to fine tune your sound. The cab is not lacking in presence! It is here, there and everywhere giving a solid in your face wall of bass tone.

This is not a muddy sounding cab in the slightest and will surprise many. It is not forgiving of poor technique as I have found out today at practice!

I must admit to liking the blueline speakers and the job they do in producing bass sound. The odd thing is they don’t seem bothered by being pushed hard – they just get on with it!

[b]Band Members[/b]

The drummer said that it was so much better than my two Ampeg B410hlf‘s and that it was filling the sound and the room out more. Also, he was able to hear what I was playing as the tone was much more definable allowing for more clarity in my bass lines.

The guitarist wasn’t too happy as it drowned him out! Too bad!!

I will recommend this cab and am glad I bought one...again! I would like to try out a few different makes of 810 together as to gain an overall opinion of price, quality, reliability and usability.

Worth it?

Hell yeah!!

Pm me if you want any other info re this.

Edited by andy67

yep!

as a rock bass player in the mould of Cliff Williams, but secretly wanting to be Billy Sheehan...the cab is very bassy for 8 10's - It rocks man!

Try it out first though, Sound Control seem to have a large stock of them and they will price match SoundsLive!

Edited by andy67

• 1 month later...

So is it the same speakers in the MAG stuff as in the ABMs? I have the MAG410 cab and it's nice, but I agree about the corner protectors, horrible! I'm tempted to get my brother (an apprentice joiner, and pretty good at it too) to help me construct a new cab that's not made out of MDF (maybe birch?) but using the same innards from the MAG cab.

[quote name='andy67' post='153394' date='Mar 7 2008, 09:03 PM']this is something I am currently thinking about, I also believe it would look a lot nicer![/quote]

It really would, I'm not great fan of the grill on the MAG, the ABM isn't much better either.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='jono b' post='154902' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:15 PM']It really would, I'm not great fan of the grill on the MAG, the ABM isn't much better either.[/quote]

Am thinking about getting one for reggae, what do you think? I saw Luciano (big reggae artist) in Newquay a few weeks ago and his bassist had one!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...