Why become a member? ×

easy fingerboard starter

Juzgoez

For anyone struggling with their memory and notes on the fingerboard, there's a technique in memory called rediculous association. You can make a numbered list of things and associate each one with an image or scenario. Surprisingly, you will be able to remember the list because the image is called to mind by the subconscious very easily. Anyway, rather than going too deep into that, I'll explain about this little fingerboard technique. I don't know if it's been tried before, but going on the premise that nothing is new, it probably has. Ok here goes.

Your open strings E A D G will represent "Eat A Dead Gorilla"

Stay with me now, just in case you think I'm on some kind of exotic drug. :)

Your 3rd fret would be G C F A# "Get Colonel For Attack Sharpish"

Your 5th fret would be A D G C "A Drain Guy Comes"

Your 7th fret would be B E A D "Big Elephant At Daybreak"

Your 9th fret would be C# F# B E

Now, there are sharps here so you have to be imaginitive. "See (C#) sharps. Find sharps (F#) Behind Eggs" (Sharps are hypodermic needles)

Stay with me before the drugs wear off! :) This should only take you a few minutes to complete, but you will be amazed at how you remember.

The idea is that you pick up your instrument. Pluck the first open strings E A D G and repeat the sentence as above whilst imagining eating a dead gorilla. Sounds crazy, but it works; try it!

Now go to the 3rd fret and do the same with each string using the relevant sentence as above.

Some of you will probably go off shaking your heads and saying "The poor guy has lost it" and some will try this and be pleasantly surprised. Don't forget....this technique is called rediculous association. You can also use it to memorise credit card numbers, pin numbers etc....The more rediculous and unlikely the images, the easier it is retained in memory. You don't have to use my images, you can pick your own, which is better.

As for the other notes. You will notice there is a pattern, so knowing a single note, you will through a little practice know the notes immediately above or below it. But for starters, this technique although appearing to be little bizzare will give you a kick start.

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1164870' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:44 PM']That would be on the 13 string bass I think.....what's the pink bed cover all about then? :) :)[/quote]
Thats the "Guests Bedroom" dont you know or "junk room" either is fine although the pink is from the flash as its not that colour at all its more of a plum, Odd :lol:

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1164870' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:44 PM']That would be on the 13 string bass I think...[/quote]

Nope,that'd be the enharmonic equivalent of C and F depending on what key you are playing in :)

I've used this method for languages before and it works. Hadn't thought of trying it on the bass. I've always looked on my inability to remember the fretboard as being similar to my inability to learn the x tables at school. To this day I have to think my way through all but 2x, 5x & 9X. You wouldn't notice if I was reciting them but in my head I'm adding as I go!!
I will give this a shot.

[quote name='el borracho' post='1164951' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:32 PM']I've used this method for languages before and it works. Hadn't thought of trying it on the bass. I've always looked on my inability to remember the fretboard as being similar to my inability to learn the x tables at school. To this day I have to think my way through all but 2x, 5x & 9X. You wouldn't notice if I was reciting them but in my head I'm adding as I go!!
I will give this a shot.[/quote]
I first learned this from a mate many years ago who could remember numbered lists of random items and got it right every time. Once he showed us how it was done it was incredible the way the image and hence the item just popped into your head. I use this to remember all my credit card numbers and any changes and even the cards I don't use often are recalled as soon as I apply the image phrase.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1164948' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:31 PM']Nope,that'd be the enharmonic equivalent of C and F depending on what key you are playing in :)[/quote]
I'm afraid I've always been a bit of a Ry Cooder man...."If music sounds good then there's nothing more to analyse." Not so good I suppose if you play for the London Philharmonic orchestra... :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1165183' date='Mar 17 2011, 12:02 AM']hmm. not sure i want to be thinking about dead gorrillas while i'm playing.[/quote]
You don't have to. It's just a little starter to get you going with remembering. Once you know a piece anyway, you're not thinking about it with your analytical mind, it's already wired into your subconscious. :) Funny though...imagining you hitting bum notes and the band moaning while you stand there thinking about dead gorillas and drain guys..... :) :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1165191' date='Mar 17 2011, 12:09 AM']Is that the Key that Ginger bird from Florence and the machine sings in? "She's amazing!" no she's not she is way out of tune!!!![/quote]

No...she sings in the key of wrong.