Why become a member? ×

Fretboard diagram!!

BassNovice

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1163523' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:07 PM']I don't see how you can play without knowing what the notes on the fretboard are.

If you go to play with someone, and they give you a chord progression of C/Eb/F/G for example, what do you do ?[/quote]

Don't play with people who know more music theory than you has always worked for me. I do know what every note is now but I didn't know it off by heart for a while after i started playing.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1163523' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:07 PM']I don't see how you can play without knowing what the notes on the fretboard are.

If you go to play with someone, and they give you a chord progression of C/Eb/F/G for example, what do you do ?[/quote]

You ask them to play it for you real quick, then you jump in.

First thing to remember is that there are two missing notes Bsharp and Esharp (or rather they aren't missing they're C and F). If basses had 14 frets there's be a sharp or flat for each of the 7 notes. But there are 12 which is what makes music interesting. Knowing this helps you get the note sequence right. On the bass every note has an octave two strings down and two frets up. There's another of the same note one string down and five frets behind (cos it's a fifths instrument), this note also has an octave.

On a practical front most of us learn songs in common keys. One game I've just found is to key a song name into Spotify and work out which covers are in which key. Simple way to find a key is to run your finger up the E string till it tallies. This works best for simple 3 chord blues derived pop/rock'n'roll numbers.

The spooky thing is when bandmates are just fooling around and your fingers go for the notes. I think that's the 'by ear' thing but it helps to know what to call the notes so you can rethink your choices and patterns.

[quote name='cytania' post='1163585' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:59 PM']First thing to remember is that there are two missing notes Bsharp and Esharp (or rather they aren't missing they're C and F).[/quote]

Unless you are in F# major (which has an E#) or C# major (which has E# and B#) :)

[quote name='Wil' post='1163539' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:18 PM']You ask them to play it for you real quick, then you jump in.[/quote]

But that only works some of the time. There are a lot of situations where you won't get the chance to hear it first,even quickly.

Lots of ways to learn them...whichever way works..but you REALLY have to know them, IMV

Learn the name of notes and how they follow each other

Just write out how the notes progress up the string starting from open E.
Fill in the notes on the dots on the fretboard first and for easy reference, when you have that..fill in the gaps
Do that for the A string, D and G.

Don't stop until you have all 21 frets..or however many your bass has, covered

If you are struggling, then book a lesson with a teacher to fill in anything you don't get

[quote name='Doddy' post='1163847' date='Mar 15 2011, 10:55 PM']But that only works some of the time. There are a lot of situations where you won't get the chance to hear it first,even quickly.[/quote]

I know it's essential for a lot of gigs, I was just responding to the question "how do you play without knowing the note names". That's what I do, but I've always played in originals bands where none of the other members know the note names in the first place.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1163507' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:55 PM']Why is the D the luckiest note?

Because it has a flat by the C[/quote]
[/thread]

Frankly, one can learn the notes or not. If one does, then one is a probably better player for the effort. If one doesn't, one [i]still [/i]might get a tongue in the ear from the plumpie that keeps staring at you during the 'Alright Now' bass solo.

So it's all good.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1163957' date='Mar 16 2011, 01:52 AM'][/thread]

Frankly, one can learn the notes or not. If one does, then one is a probably better player for the effort. If one doesn't, one [i]still [/i]might get a tongue in the ear from the plumpie that keeps staring at you during the 'Alright Now' bass solo.

So it's all good.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1163957' date='Mar 16 2011, 01:52 AM'][/thread]

Frankly, one can learn the notes or not. If one does, then one is a probably better player for the effort. If one doesn't, one [i]still [/i]might get a[b] tongue in the ear from the plumpie that keeps staring at you during the 'Alright Now' bass solo[/b].

So it's all good.[/quote]

Aaaah, he goes to your gigs as well does he?