Why become a member? ×

Improvement needed

burray

So I've been playing for however many years now, and I've been gigging for what's probably pushing ten of those years. The band I'm don't play easy route note punk stuff or anything (not that there's anything wrong with that) and I like to make basslines a bit more interesting, but my ability when it comes to freestyle or jamming should be far beyond what it is considering the years I've played.

Yes, it's down to my own laziness, but I'd like to fix it. Does anyone have any advice for some decent practice lines/riffs/runs/etc to help me improve my ability in general? The stuff I play is [url="http://www.myspace.com/columbiannecktie"]HERE[/url] for anyone interested. This isn't an advert for the band, that's just so you can hear the kind of thing I play. We had a break for a year or so but I'm back on the bass and loving it again now.

Much appreciated! :)

[quote name='chaypup' post='1162974' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:37 PM']Take lessons, learn to read music if you don't already. :)[/quote]

I had years of lessons back in the day (I'm only 26, but this was still a while ago) and I can read notation but have never used it for the bass. I've always used tab.

I've never had a problem learning songs and playing lines, but find it difficult to improvise. It's weird really. I can write bass lines for our songs, etc, I just think it's a confidence thing or maybe a case of getting to know the fretboard and where to go during a jam.

[quote name='burray' post='1162979' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:43 PM']I had years of lessons back in the day (I'm only 26, but this was still a while ago) and I can read notation but have never used it for the bass. I've always used tab.[/quote]
In that case......

Take lessons and learn to read music :)

Seriously,if you can read why haven't you applied it to the bass?
I'm a pro player,but I still take lessons whenever I can. You'll learn way more by doing that than by just copying a few licks and riffs.

Edit..... If you don't know the fingerboard,learn it......no excuses.

Edited by Doddy

Shapes. Shapes. Shapes.

Get to know a couple of major/minor scales and arpeggios. Recognise what the root note is (don't bother with the rest) and then just play, play, play along to fav songs you know the chords to. Up the way, down the way, start in the middle of the shape and then go up or down. Doesn't matter, don't practice as if you were performing bass accompaniment, play as if you were trying to P-off the singer/guitarist by getting in the way all over the song.

Remember the shapes. Keep doing the ones that sound good, forget the ones that don't work and play, play, play.

Reading music, whilst being thoroughly commendable, is irrelevant. If you're looking at dots on a sheet, then you're not improvising.

Edited by Starless

Notes and theory is all good - but some of the best theorists i know aren't the best improvisers. I'd say you need to add equal amounts of inspiration and feel too. This will develop over time. A good place to start may be to learn the melody (if there is one hehe). This gives you notes that fit the song structure. I'll add that you would know which notes will work if you were a theorist too but playing them in an order and timing that are pleasing/interesting takes a bit of practice and experience. Just keep working at it and keep learning. The more you know the more you realise you don't know. Its quite depressing and exciting at the same time.

[quote name='Starless' post='1163163' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:44 PM']Shapes. Shapes. Shapes.

Get to know a couple of major/minor scales and arpeggios. Recognise what the root note is (don't bother with the rest) and then just play, play, play along to fav songs you know the chords to. Up the way, down the way, start in the middle of the shape and then go up or down. Doesn't matter, don't practice as if you were performing bass accompaniment, play as if you were trying to P-off the singer/guitarist by getting in the way all over the song.

Remember the shapes. Keep doing the ones that sound good, forget the ones that don't work and play, play, play.

Reading music, whilst being thoroughly commendable, is irrelevant. If you're looking at dots on a sheet, then you're not improvising.[/quote]

I'm going to argue a couple of points here.
First of all-Shapes. You will get far more out of it if you learn notes rather than shapes. Eventually you will recognise shapes and patterns,but don't learn scales and arpeggios based on shapes.Learn a shape and you can play a shape-learn the notes and you can play anywhere on the fingerboard.
Next,'Recognise what the root note is (don't bother with the rest)'-No. Start off by recognising the root,but then identify if it's major or minor. If you just know the root and don't bother with the rest of the chord,you are setting yourself up for playing wrong notes.You should learn the basic harmony.
Finally,reading is not irrelevant. If you can read,you are open to more material to study,and will be able to look at the actual notes within the scales and chords,and not just blindly following a fingering pattern.

[quote name='Starless' post='1163163' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:44 PM']Shapes. Shapes. Shapes.[/quote]

Notes, notes, notes.

[quote]Reading music, whilst being thoroughly commendable, is irrelevant. If you're looking at dots on a sheet, then you're not improvising.[/quote]

The last point is fair, but it's very much a case of apples and oranges. Reading music is definitely relevant for accessing new information, particularly music that wasn't originally written for the bass. This can lead to lots of ideas that could be used in improvisation. Whilst I doubt the OP is looking to take on a bunch of reading gigs (apologies if this is not the case!) learning to read is invaluable when trying to understand how theory, improvisation and the instrument all connect.

Basically I'd say, if you don't know them already then learn at least the major & minor diatonic scales and related modes. If you you don't know it already then learn harmony and chord construction and from this you'll learn arpeggios for the chords. Once you've got those sussed then it's a damn site easier knowing what you are playing and the possibilities of what may sound good when improvising.

This said it doesn't mean what you play is good but it's a massive head start. Now you just need to play and be inspired (as bottome states)...

I'd suggest either recording some basic chordal riffs to looper or recording device and start of by playing the relevent scale over the top. Try to listen closely to what you're playing and then see where the inspiration takes you.

Then it's simply practise, play and listen.

jam along to ambient / chill toons. Theres so much space and time in that sort of music you can wander off into your own world for ages giving you time to have a play around and experiment with runs before anything changes. Stuff happens nice and slooooowly in that world. Plenty of space to breathe.

hmmmm that came out all 'glasto' didnt it!! Maybe I'd better move to kent!! lol

A