Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce touring this week...Bristol Friday 18th!

BassBod

I saw them (Jack Bruce and Ronnie Scotts Blues experience) at the Stables in Milton Keynes last night. Great gig. Nice to be 20 foot away and see what his fingers are doing (unlike Cream reunion in 2005 where I could barely see anything).

The Stables is a great venue with great sound - so I was surprised that his bass sound was a bit undefined - despite the fact that his amp was eq'd like a steep hill - lots of midrange, low bass and treble.

He was playing his Warwick through a Hartke rig. The band was guitar, keys, drums, trombone, trumpet and sax - all young (compared to him) guys with a jazzy, sometimes funky feel. Great band in their own right.

Anyway, he played some blues standards - can't remember them all: born under a bad sign, neighbour neighbour, spoonful, plus a few of his classics White room, Sunshine of your love (which probably owed as much to Spanky Wilsons funk version as the Cream original) and a BEAUTIFUL version of We're going wrong - the drummer played it with beaters (?) rather than sticks - so atmospheric. Not one of my favourite Cream songs, but they actually out creamed cream on that one track. Definately the highlight of my night.

Great gig, and a good chance to see fantastic musicianship (from the whole band) up close.

I paid £31 including booking fees, but it was well worth it.

If you get the chance, go

[quote name='BassBod' post='1162682' date='Mar 15 2011, 08:07 AM']Where was that...bit shocking!? Bristol was something like £22 when I looked, and I thought that was pretty pricey for a venue like the Colston Hall.[/quote]

WhenI looked earlier that was the price I seemed to see,however on another perusal he's doing an appearance at the Royal Festival Hall on the 4June.
Tickets £24.50 -£45.00 so maybe I was mistaken.
Must say I would far prefer to see him at a smaller more intimate venue even if it were a bit more,but not a lot more.

I recall him being on a multi band line up several years back with the likes of Glenn Hughes and Frank Marino, was a good night out and he did a few old Cream classics and other stuff. Looked like a little old used car salesman. Just checked and it was as far back as 2002, 'Legends of Rock' tour. Anyone else saw this?

Edited by KevB

You can hear a long interview with him, and the same band he's touring with in session for the BBC on iplayer just now

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zh7hs/Paul_Jones_21_03_2011/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zh...nes_21_03_2011/[/url]

On the Paul Jones show - probably won't be up for long, so have a listen