Why become a member? ×

GB bass at the london show

ian

hi all
just wanted to say now my ears have settled down lol how much i enjoyed the different selection of basses on show today.
But for me the GBs really did stand out today for tone and comfort i played a spitfire 5 maple neck and it sounded funky and focused .Did anyone else find anything nice ?
and was that the bass ferrets fretless on show ?

Edited by ian

[quote name='Sibob' post='1161054' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:16 PM']GB were one of the main culprits for the slap filth lol
Some stunning basses, but I generally stayed away on account of the noise....as thats all it was

Si[/quote]

I had a quick word with Bernie yesterday, he was grumbling about all the slapping going on in the show. But a lot of it did seem to be coming from his stand as far as I could tell. :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1161076' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:29 PM']I had a quick word with Bernie yesterday, he was grumbling about all the slapping going on in the show. But a lot of it did seem to be coming from his stand as far as I could tell. :)[/quote]

BERNIE WAS PLAYING LOADS OF IT HIMSELF!!! lol
Its all jokes, they obviously can't stop people slapping, but next year they really do have to deal with the consistent volumes. Yes sometimes you have to crank an amp/cab to hear its potential, but not for any longer than a minute surely!?. It is just "HEY Look at me!!"

My very personal opinion is that you tell who were bedroom players, and those who work a lot :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1161122' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:05 PM']BERNIE WAS PLAYING LOADS OF IT HIMSELF!!! lol
Its all jokes, they obviously can't stop people slapping, but next year they really do have to deal with the consistent volumes. Yes sometimes you have to crank an amp/cab to hear its potential, but not for any longer than a minute surely!?. It is just "HEY Look at me!!"

My very personal opinion is that you tell who were bedroom players, and those who work a lot :)

Si[/quote]
The blessed relief when the klaxon went off on the half hour and peace descended was something else...mind I spent a lot of the day in the live hall or masterclasses. Where [i]did[/i] the day go!?

i thought it might be a good idea to have different time zones so that say bernie and status turn on at the same time at either ends that way anyone who wants to hear the basses full potential can and so on . i think the guys who have took all there products to the site would rather have people hear the full potential .
or even like the master classes you have certain times where you can go to a certain stools and hear and try out the stuff you want ? .today was just one constant noise and a shame really

[quote name='Sibob' post='1161054' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:16 PM']GB were one of the main culprits for the slap filth lol
Some stunning basses, but I generally stayed away on account of the noise....as thats all it was

Si[/quote]

Hey Si!

Yeah, that's why we took refuge and grabbed a coffee for an hour! Certain stands were noted for their dreadful noise pollution heh! - but it was great to have a mo' away from the noise to have a natter with ya!

Just got back after 2 days on the stand. As for slap, yeah, we were all pissed off with it by day one. Day 2 seemed less of a slap fest and so was a bit more tolerable.

It seemed whenever anybody asked to play a GB, it got slapped. It got very tiresome! I've heard it all before and nobody (apart from a select couple) did anything to impress me. There were a couple of youngsters who really had the fingerstyle down - they were a delight to have on the stand. With fingerstyle, there is no tricks; being able to play bass properly is the trick :) (and not many people seemed capable of it). The most amusing punter for me was the guy who wanted to try out a bass with a ramp. Once given said bass, not one bit of fingerstyle - all slap. Wtf?? But as Pete says, if a punter wants to play slap, you can't really tell them to do one can you?

Am quite surprised people were saying Bernie was on a slap fest - this show, Bernie did very little playing... And he was pretty much concentrating on his Jaco stuff, chordal stuff and chorus/reverb tricks when he has. I heard very little slap from Bernie and seen as I was on the stand solid for two days, I would say I'm pretty much in a strong position to say who was playing what, It was quite amusing though - some of the GB regulars who got up to have a quick razz got told to stfu the second they went for a slap, tickle or pop!

Sibob - don't know what you were seeing or hearing at the stand when you were there. Bernie was taking the punter through the EBS pedals - if I recall, you were talking to Steve Lawson. I think you are giving Bernie an unfair press here.

Anyway, the fact that the GBs were cutting through everything kinda speaks for itself... It didn't get lost in the durge...

Btw, is anybody else in agreement that Nigel Clutterbuck is unique in the fact that his surname sounds like his playing?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1161277' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:48 AM']Am quite surprised people were saying Bernie was on a slap fest - this show, Bernie did very little playing... And he was pretty much concentrating on his Jaco stuff, chordal stuff and chorus/reverb tricks when he was. I heard very little slap from Bernie and seen as I was on the stand solid for two days, I would say I'm pretty much in a strong position to say who was playing what, It was quite amusing though - some of the GB regulars who got up to have a quick razz got told to stfu the second they went for a slap, tickle or pop!

Sibob - don't know what you were seeing or hearing at the stand when you were there. Bernie was taking the punter through the EBS pedals - if I recall, you were talking to Steve Lawson. I think you are giving Bernie an unfair press here.[/quote]

You managed to spot me chatting to Steve? good eyes lol

I don't want to seem like I'm giving Bernie a bad rep......not that I think he'd care about anything I said lol. I remember seeing him slap once, but also a couple of other people saying "oh there's Bernie off on one again"......as I tried to get across, its all in jest.
You're right, the GB's weren't as annoying as other brands tonally, but the stand still contributed to the decibels within the overall cacophony.....thats not bad press, thats just how the whole show was.....we knew it would be like that lol

Si

p.s.
I'm sure Steve L wouldn't mind me saying that all the slap was getting to him too :)

[quote name='dood' post='1161230' date='Mar 14 2011, 12:09 AM']Hey Si!

Yeah, that's why we took refuge and grabbed a coffee for an hour! Certain stands were noted for their dreadful noise pollution heh! - but it was great to have a mo' away from the noise to have a natter with ya![/quote]

Yeah the Cafe area was a welcome break, me and Dave (funkyveed) went and just sat on the floor near the furthest wall we could with our coffee lol
Glad we managed to catch each other mate, I missed a few people as our ears were just too tired and we left about 4pm

Si

[quote name='ian' post='1161847' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:03 PM']ebs freak i feel so rude now as i was not aware who you was yesterday was you talking to mike brooks for quite a bit yesterday .?anyway hope your well[/quote]

Yeah, that was me. No worries, no rudeness felt!!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1161277' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:48 AM']Btw, is anybody else in agreement that Nigel Clutterbuck is unique in the fact that his surname sounds like his playing?[/quote]

Yep.....I said that in the hate slap thread :)